• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Need loading info for 220 Swift / 30 degree

reddog

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2010
KY
Just bought a barreled action with a Kreiger barrel marked 220 swift / 30 degree. The barrel doesn't look too bad internally, so I thought I would slap it in a stock and see what happens. I Need to know the drill to fire form some brass and anything else someone might know about this odd ball.
Dave

Re: Need loading info for 220 Swift / 30 degree

My standard 220 loved this load....its warm but coyotes hate it.

42 grains of IMR 4350 with CCI's and 55 grain sierra's

If set up correctly, the standard case should headspace on the junction of neck and shoulder...meaning you can fire standard .220 Swift cartridges in the chamber, instantly producing correctly headspaced and formed 30degree cases. Start loading with standard .220 Swift loading data and work up to your best OCW load. JMHO

I've pretty much determined that it is set up correctly to fire form 220 brass. I used a headspace checking trick that I learned a long time ago - stuck a piece of scotch tape to the headstamp end of a 220 case to see if the bolt would close - which it did not. One thickness of scotch tape is 0.0035" thick.
Anyway, I have some rounds loaded and will head for the range when it quits raining around here.
Dave

Good luck,

The swift is a hard round to beat in the .224 world.

I hope it all works out for you.