• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need more powder ideas for .308 since...

freedomfighter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
Galt's Gulch
Finding IMR8208 or Varget is like finding a surfboard shop in Nebraska. The vast consensus seems to be that the favorites for .308 are the IMR8208 and Varget, well, I cannot find them around here (Indy) as our selection of places to look for supplies sucks bad so i need some more ideas to try. I've seen a lot of people use RL-15 but i've also read that its temp. sensitive. This is a problem for me as I shoot just as much in the winter as the summer and I really don't want to mess with "seasonal" loads.

Here's what i'm looking for:
a powder with low environmental sensitivity
usually pretty easy to find
and, of course, good accuracy potential

My stick is a Rem.700 26" barrel 1-12 twist and I will be shooting 175 grain Sierra matchkings and/or 178 AMAXs (although they are out of stock everywhere too right now)

Re: Need more powder ideas for .308 since...

Why not order your powder on-line??

Graf & Son's has both 1 lb & 8 Lb containers available.

Graf & Sons

Yes, you have to pay Hazmat fee's, but it's better than being without, and agonizing over local supply or lack thereof.

Bob

I've had exceptional results from military surplus IMR4064, a couple of rifles that I've helped load for using that powder has netted overlapping holes at 100yd using 175 SMK and 178 Amax.

It has shown to be a little temp sensitive, from 50F to 95F an average of 40fps change was recorded with the lot of powder I have. Not something that can't be handled, but still not inconsequential.

RL-15 is a good powder to try, IMR4895 is good stuff (and part of the extreme line by Hodgdon), BLC-2 works well for that weight range but again, it's a little temp sensitive.

You're probably right and I wouldn't really worry as much about the hazmat fee if I were buying an 8 lb keg but I don't want to buy 8lbs until I have a load worked up and the hazmat fee stings a bit more when you just buy a lb or 2 but you are right...it may be better than being without.

I recently switched to vv550 on my 178amax load, as varget scarce here too,

Havnt used it long enough to comment on temp stability, but it meters better out the chargemaster, and it's given me an extra 100fps
smile.gif

IMR 4895 is readily available at gander mtn. which is about the only place here to get any supplies. A friend's dad has gotten very good results with it so I was eyeing it already. How temp. sensitive is it?

Try IMR 4320. It is the "forgotten" powder but the LR BR guys are jumping on it. Go to 6mmBR and read some reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freedomfighter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">England?!?! I thought they took all of your guns!</div></div>

Only the handguns.. But obtaining permits for rifles is very difficult.
Once you get the permit, it's only for ONE specific rifle that you applied for.. And if you sell the rifle, you have to 're-apply' for a fresh permit for a fresh rifle.. It can take weeks if were lucky, very often months.

It's a royal pain in the ass.

i've been playing with RL15 under 150gr pills in my sporter rifle - accuracy is sub 1/2moa consistently now that i'm using FCD. can't speak to temp stability, i don't have a chrony and have only shot it in warm months. the temp is starting to fall and I may see the low 40's high 30's soon, so i'll see if it holds the accuracy.

My load is 44.2 gr RL15 and it prints to the exact same spot as 44.5gr varget. Using winny or CBC brass with Horn 3031 150gr sp's and CCI primers.

I'm not at all unpleased with this powder so far, YMMV

although ive seen conflicting data, at least one source called imr 4064 less temp sensitive than varget. ive used imr4064 extensively since the start of my reloading for .308 loads with much accuracy especially running 175 smk out of a 26" bbl. these things will stack into one hole for me using lake city brass and 42.5 grains and movin about 2695ish. i must say i have zero experience with varget or the newer 8208 stuff by i wont be changin anytime soon. i do however run h322 for a 16" stick but thats a whole other beastie.

Vita V N 140 works great in my 308

IMR-4895. Use it in .223 as well.

Thanks a lot guys, since IMR 4895 is readily available I'll probably start with that. 4064 is also on Gander's shelf so theres another option. I'm a year round shooter and really do'nt want the headache of a really temp. sensitive powder. Besides...if it ever does hit the fan, I doubt it will care what season it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about H4895?

Part of Extreme line and used often in the .308 Win. </div></div>

H4895 is great stuff. Been using it for 208s and recently with 175SMKs with good results. Before that, IMR3031 was my 175/168 powder of choice.

Since you're using a M700 you don't have the burn rate issues (like I do in my M1A) so with the heavier bullets try some slower burning powder.

The most accurate loads I ever shot through my M1A were with IMR4350 powder, Federal benchrest primers and Sierra 180 gr. matchkings. That was before I broke the operating rod (twice).

Nothing else I've tried compared to those IMR4350 loads.

Just buy the 8lb keg of Varget from one of the above vendors, and be done with it. You WILL find a great, accurate load with that rifle and components.

I have yet to see a 1:12 twist Rem700 and 175smk/178amax not like Varget.

Varget works best for me in Rem LTR and Fulton M1A. I tried H4895, IMR4320, Imr 4198 also in load development, but Varget consistently out shot all others at 46.6 Gr with a 155 Scenar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clay_breaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget works best for me in Rem LTR and Fulton M1A. I tried H4895, IMR4320, Imr 4198 also in load development, but Varget consistently out shot all others at 46.6 Gr with a 155 Scenar. </div></div>

+1
47.7gr varget
Win case
CCI 200
Sierra 155 palma moly
lights out