• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need more power than 350 Legend

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    So I took the last month off SH and maybe I’m in an argumentative mood or I’ve just spent more time using some of my equipment during deer season. Doesn’t matter.

After terminal performance (or lack thereof) on deer in Iowa during late season, I’ve decided I need more than that the 350L provides.

Current Iowa laws state that during muzzle loader season I can use any pistol over 35 cal so I’m looking to build something based on the AR10 platform with a <16” barrel (likely 15”). Driving factors for me are energy on target and bullets that expand at these velocities (greater than 1500fps to 1700fps is preferred) to deliver that energy. I don’t mind loading Cutting Edge Bullets or similar to get good performance but factory ammo availability just to have is a big plus for me.

Below are my choices but I’d love feedback from anyone on any cartridge you have experience with.

1. 358 Win - this seems to be dying off a bit but provides the best velocity and easy factory ammo / brass. Seems to be a legit 300 yd deer rifle with the right bullets / powder

2. 375 Raptor - I’ve heard of issues on headspacing due to the short shoulder, but the performance here seems great. I would prefer the 375 diameter bullet for more expansion at lower velocities.

3. 45 Raptor - gives up trajectory to get bullet expansion and serious energy on target. Probably closest to the 12 ga slug I grew up shooting.

Am I missing any other cartridges? I’d love to shoot a 338 Fed or 8.6 Blk but it doesn’t meet the diameter requirements. Thanks!

I am not a expert deer hunter by any means but here in Illinois I have taken my last 3 Bucks with a 300 aac and a 120 tipped Barnes bullet. 8.5” barrel on the pistol and the last 3 bucks I shot at have all been recovered within 30 yards of where they were shot. I would think the 350 legend would kill nicely inside 150 yards. What are you seeing that has you thinking the legend isn’t enough gun?

On sale right now.

1672375250867.png

Reactions: rlsmith1
    I appreciate the input, I’m facing 2 issues.

1. Most AR rounds rely on some sort of barrel length to generate velocity for terminal performance (and aren’t designed to be long range performers).

2. I need my gun to be classified as a pistol. This means a shorter barrel which takes much needed velocity away and reduces effective range even further (the goal is to have a gun that does well 150-200 yds or more)

Is there any guidance out there on if I can have an 18” barrel with a brace and it be considered a pistol? If so, that does change things. I’m aware interpretations by our beloved bureaucrats may change by next deer season. But as it is today, Iowa DNR is good with a pistol as long as it meets the ATF definition

I am not an expert deer hunter by any means but here in Illinois I have taken my last 3 Bucks with a 300 aac and a 120 tipped Barnes bullet. 8.5” barrel on the pistol and the last 3 bucks I shot at have all been recovered within 30 yards of where they were shot. I would think the 350 legend would kill nicely inside 150 yards. What are you seeing that has you thinking the legend isn’t enough gun?
    I’ve had issues the last 5 years on late season deer. Everyone I hunt with has inconsistent (at best) performance from 50 cal muzzle loaders with modern powder / bullets. Either bullets pull apart on the front shoulder or the bullet misses a rib and punches a 0.5” hole through at 2000 fps. My theory is by late December, deer have enough fat that they don’t bleed much unless they have a real hole in them.

I’ve shot a number of deer with my 350 this year and have yet to easily find blood at the spot of the shot. I attribute this to the 16” barrel and 70 to 100 yd ranges I’ve shot. Winchester 180gr SPs should do well to expand but I haven’t seen it. The Odin barrel is perfectly accurate and shots have all been where I want them to be, there’s just no blood and a deer can bound 80 yds into CRP with head high grass and never be found.

This leads me to my plan to build something based on the AR10 to get more speed and terminal performance

1. Most AR rounds rely on some sort of barrel length to generate velocity for terminal performance (and aren’t designed to be long range performers).

2. I need my gun to be classified as a pistol. This means a shorter barrel which takes much needed velocity away and reduces effective range even further (the goal is to have a gun that does well 150-200 yds or more)

Is there any guidance out there on if I can have an 18” barrel with a brace and it be considered a pistol? If so, that does change things. I’m aware interpretations by our beloved bureaucrats may change by next deer season. But as it is today, Iowa DNR is good with a pistol as long as it meets the ATF definition

First, your problem is not killing power, 350 has plenty. Even 5.56 is perfectly fine. A kill was made in Afghanistan with a MK18 10.5 barrel and MK262 at 500m.

Shoot better. Holes in things that aren't supposed to have holes is what kills stuff. Not energy.

Pistol barrel can have any length. The stock is what makes it a rifle.

No. Over 26 inches OAL for the weapon makes it a AOW and not a pistol from my understanding. Not if it has a brace or not.

If you are losing deer like that it isn't because of the cartridge. It is the shots you are making. Not trying to be a dick, but if you can't drop a deer at 100m reliably or can't find one that runs 80 yards after being shot, you dont have enough experience.

Once again, not trying to offend. If I lived nearby I would tell you to come hunt with me. Find someone who is experienced and hunt with them a bit.

Your rifle is perfectly capable. It is basically a 357 max on steroids. You can literally kill anything on the planet with that if you make good shots except maybe elephant.

What bullets were you shooting? There is a good chance your bullet choice might need to be refined.

Where were you shooting the animals anatomically?

Last edited:
    Depends on ATF fuckery with the braces.

You'd need about a 10" barrel to build a 45 Rapter AR 10 pistol. That's going to kick out some impressive fire balls.

I went 11" braced 350L, so I may get screwed yet again by ATF. It should die a quick death in court, but this shit is getting old. My compliance tank is about empty.
    25-1/2" OAL as it sits.

Factory Hornady 165 FTX gives me 2140fps from the 11" barrel.

Actually just loaded some ladders of 165 FTX & 170 Barnes TSX to shoot tomorrow.
    Giving SBR-SOCOM powder a try.

I'm expecting the Barnes to expand pretty well. Might shoot an old MSC catalog to see how it does.
    Also FYI you can buy the Barnes 170TSX as factory loaded ammo now I believe.

Win brass weighs 101gr. Top load is 28.9gr compressed with the Barnes @2.265
    Hornady brass weighs 95gr. Top load is 29.2 compressed with barnes @2.265

IMG_7418.jpg
    IMG_7419.jpg

No. Over 26 inches OAL for the weapon makes it a AOW and not a pistol from my understanding. Not if it has a brace or not.
    No it isn't. If it has a forward grip, then yes.

Last edited:
    Why limit to an AR platform? Look into a TC or other similar style pistol. 35 whelen might be ok from a 15 inch barrel?

Is there any guidance out there on if I can have an 18” barrel with a brace and it be considered a pistol?
    Good luck with that and the Elmer Fudds thar carry a badge

I had one try to seize my rifle when ghog hunting “cause that’s a silencer and that’s illegal “

• Haha
    Reactions: XP1K and rlsmith1
    Iowa deer hunter here as well.

I tend to agree with the OP on the 350. I understand all these arguments about shot placement but I have experience with ~10 kills on deer with the 350. Some from kids and some from myself. I have observed, even with a double lung shot, that deer still run up to 100y. I don't know how to explain it because the bullets expand well but I just don't have faith in the catridge outside of being for a youth hunter and certainly inside 150y. These were handloads of 165gn FTX pushing 2300fps.

OP - I assume you're after a pistol so you can hunt late muzzleloader season. Otherwise you'd be building a 35whelen or 375ruger. I built a 375 Ruger for the gun seasons, works great on bobcat, only thing I've killed with it so far.

What you really need is a smokeless muzzleloader shooting 45cal full bore bullets. Cost of admission is high. Learning curve seems to be a little daunting but with Arrowhead's NSR bullets it's a lot easier than you might think. Between me and my family we've had around 12 kills with them, deer don't take a step. Roughly 300gn bullet pushing 3100fps. You can get a full gun from Arrowhead or Hankins. Hankins will do barreled action. I've worked with and shot both, they are both fantastic, under 1" groups at 100. I grew up on the Savage MLII, and these guns blow the socks off those.

CNS hits will anchor deer. I am red/green color blind so finding a blood trail can be a challenge. Combine that with grass still being green during hunting season and trailing a deer can be a dumpster fire. High neck (throat patch) or head shots stop them flat.

Bigger cartridges are poor medicine for poor/improper shot placement/choice.

CNS hits will anchor deer. I am red/green color blind so finding a blood trail can be a challenge. Combine that with grass still being green during hunting season and trailing a deer can be a dumpster fire. High neck (throat patch) or head shots stop them flat.

Bigger cartridges are poor medicine for poor/improper shot placement/choice.
    Reminds me of the first deer I shot. 50yds with a 7.5x55, pretty much ballistically equivalent to a 308. Took the first shot, the deer jumped, ran 30 yards and stood still. I couldn't believe I missed, but animals aren't supposed to trot around with holes in them, so I must've. Second shot right in the brain dropped the deer where it stood.
    Turns out the first shot was perfect, hit heart and one lung, found the nicely expanded bullet under the far side hide. The deer just didn't feel like flopping over dead I guess. Not sure how more ballistic horsepower would've helped.

Ah, where to start, at the beginning I guess :). I appreciate the feedback and no offense taken (and I hope the same from me).

First, your problem is not killing power, 350 has plenty. Even 5.56 is perfectly fine. A kill was made in Afghanistan with a MK18 10.5 barrel and MK262 at 500m.

Shoot better. Holes in things that aren't supposed to have holes is what kills stuff. Not energy…
    I’m not concerned about killing power, I’m afraid I’ve killed more deer than I’ve found and the round / rifle are plenty accurate (~MOA) for what I need. I also shoot it plenty well but even a perfect shot yields no blood for at least 20 yds which is a huge problem for shots at dusk or shots on a deer drive where I’m shooting multiples and have to shoot according to what I’m seeing for what I believe to be good hits (my personal favorite is a double shoulder / double lung that turns the deer into a snowplow for about 30 yds before they die). Also good to note deer here in IA and surrounding states are noticeably larger than other parts of the country. When I was in VA, a mature deer was hardly as big as a 2 yo immature deer here so you can imagine what a 3-5 yo deer is like (much heavier than a 140 lb Afghani).

As for documented, accurate shots I’ve got a couple scenarios that stick out to me.
    - My grandpa (85 yo true legend haha) shot a yearling in the top of the heart at 70 yds in the middle of a field and it still ran 80 yds before it tipped over. I wasn’t there to see blood but didn’t sound like it bled much at all.
    - My nephew spined a 2 yo at 75 yds (new hunter) and dropped it right there. We go up and he shoots it literally point blank in a perfect spot and the bullet still didn’t expand beyond .357 (or whatever weird diameter they use in the 350). This leads me to believe shot distance and placement can be perfect and blood still isn’t spilled (deer still die though)
    - I shot a 3 yo doe slightly quartering to at 80 yds and got lungs. I was 99% sure I made a great shot but it still took me 5 minutes to find blood and I knew exactly where the deer stood. I followed blood and hoofs over the hill (lost blood twice in the snow) before I found her dead over the hill a couple hundred yards from the shot. It was -20F with wind chill that day so the deer were plenty fat and that fat seems to seal up the blood really well if a bullet doesn't expand. If I was on a deer drive and had to make a quick assessment, I would have wasted that deer unintentionally.

Not to brag, but in the groups I hunt with I’m jokingly called “Indian tracker” because I’m able to follow some very light blood trails so losing the same blood trail twice in the snow is concerning to me. I’m always able to learn more though.

If you are losing deer like that it isn't because of the cartridge. It is the shots you are making. Not trying to be a dick, but if you can't drop a deer at 100m reliably or can't find one that runs 80 yards after being shot, you dont have enough experience.

Once again, not trying to offend. If I lived nearby I would tell you to come hunt with me. Find someone who is experienced and hunt with them a bit.

Your rifle is perfectly capable. It is basically a 357 max on steroids. You can literally kill anything on the planet with that if you make good shots except maybe elephant.

What bullets were you shooting? There is a good chance your bullet choice might need to be refined.

Where were you shooting the animals anatomically?
    How are you shooting deer where you are reliably dropping them? In all my time shooting deer (we shot 9 in a morning once) I have not had any drop with a 45/70, muzzle loader, or 350L unless they were shot in the spine. I'd say the minority of deer drop with a 12 ga slug which is about as ruthless as it gets (plenty of snow plows though with double shoulder / lungs). Of course you have the facing you shots that are always fun. I did once shoot a doe right up main street as she jumped a fence. I was lucky enough to tuck the slug between both hind quarters and the slug exited the front chest (she was dead before she hit the ground).

I am confident the cartridge kills, but I think my intended use is just outside it's wheelhouse for the results I want which is why I'm after something more. Heck, I've been poking deer with arrows for over a decade and love that (first deer was with a 35lb bow at 25 yds). I believe the 350L in a shorter barrel has lower speed and bullets that have low BC so they don't perform as well at distance (and expansion at any distance from a shorter barrel is not ideal). I would honestly feel confident with a 556 on deer because I know I could get that little bullet to expand and I would be realistic about the distances I can work with. I'm sure more deer are poached with a 22lr than almost any other round.

As for experience, I appreciate the comment but I've been hunting anything that lives here since I was 2 (from my dad's backpack!) What is new to all of us is the cartridge selection we have. I have shot so many deer with 12 ga slugs I quit counting when I was 14. I know the 30-30 has killed a ton of animals larger than deer so it's certainly a capable round, I'm just trying to figure out what to expect and if it's weak blood trails and no expansion then I want something else.

As for the bullet, I'm shooting factory Winchester 180 gr PowerPoints and they are stated 2100 fps from the muzzle (I believe a 20" barrel) so I'm probably in the 1900 to 2000 fps range if I'm fortunate (from a 16" barrel). I chose this bullet because guys locally have had the best time feeding them in an AR. I would love something that expands better but they don't seem to run in an AR as well for whatever reason. I'm open to loading other bullets but I don't want to invest in that before I know I'll stick with it. I really do believe part of the issue is the bullet since I'm running at velocities / distances that are a little outside the intended envelope (hence my preference to go to an AR10 based cartridge).

Anatomically I'm plugging them right where I shoot them with a bow, 1/3 to 1/2 way up the chest and tucked behind the shoulder. I've not tried to break a shoulder yet. I am very interested in how different shots have different effects so when I'm gutting deer I am usually curious as to where the bullet went and can confirm good shots on deer recovered (so I believe my holds are good).

Omitted AFT commentary as we are on the same page...

Factory Hornady 165 FTX gives me 2140fps from the 11" barrel.

Actually just loaded some ladders of 165 FTX & 170 Barnes TSX to shoot tomorrow.
    Giving SBR-SOCOM powder a try.

I'm expecting the Barnes to expand pretty well. Might shoot an old MSC catalog to see how it does.
    Also FYI you can buy the Barnes 170TSX as factory loaded ammo now I believe.

Win brass weighs 101gr. Top load is 28.9gr compressed with the Barnes @2.265
    Hornady brass weighs 95gr. Top load is 29.2 compressed with barnes @2.265
    That is fantastic velocity from an 11" barrel. How have you gotten the FTX to feed reliably? What barrel are you running?

I believe part of the loading for the 350 is that it headspaces off the brass so OAL is critical (I haven't reloaded pistols at all so this is new to me). Would love to hear how the FTX and TSX loads do for you with that powder.

I am suppressed so the fireball isn't as much of a concern. That 16" I have now is so quiet I've been able to shoot a couple deer off a fence post from 80 to 110 yds and the herd just stayed in the field (unless they got shot haha). I love the way this gun suppresses.

No it isn't. If it has a forward grip, then yes.

I believe you are correct but there's so much ambiguity around it I just have been sticking under 16" to make sure it's a pistol. If I'm wrong, a 18" 358 Win out of an AR10 should solve a lot of my problems (let me get good velocity for the cartridge and suppress well). It also doesn't hurt it would be the same length as my 6.5 CM gasser so I would get good field experience on a similar platform on live targets.

Why limit to an AR platform? Look into a TC or other similar style pistol. 35 whelen might be ok from a 15 inch barrel?
    I've got other calibers for the shotgun season where we can use any rifle over 35 cal which is exciting. I really like autos so a TC just doesn't do it for me. If I'm going to do that, I might as well just grab the muzzle loader I already have.

Good luck with that and the Elmer Fudds thar carry a badge

I had one try to seize my rifle when ghog hunting “cause that’s a silencer and that’s illegal “
    Those guys are disheartening. I do have a cousin with a written response from DNR hq here that essentially says their job is not to define a pistol so as long as the ATF is good with it, they are good with it. I'm less concerned about them and more attentive to the AFT changing things.

Head or neck FTW
    Maybe, but I've seen a deer run off without a jaw and I'd really rather not do that again. I've accidentely done a headshot at 15 yds but that deer was on a dead run and I lead more than I needed to haha. I followed bone fragments instead of blood for about 15 feet haha.

Iowa deer hunter here as well.

I tend to agree with the OP on the 350. I understand all these arguments about shot placement but I have experience with ~10 kills on deer with the 350. Some from kids and some from myself. I have observed, even with a double lung shot, that deer still run up to 100y. I don't know how to explain it because the bullets expand well but I just don't have faith in the catridge outside of being for a youth hunter and certainly inside 150y. These were handloads of 165gn FTX pushing 2300fps.

OP - I assume you're after a pistol so you can hunt late muzzleloader season. Otherwise you'd be building a 35whelen or 375ruger. I built a 375 Ruger for the gun seasons, works great on bobcat, only thing I've killed with it so far.

What you really need is a smokeless muzzleloader shooting 45cal full bore bullets. Cost of admission is high. Learning curve seems to be a little daunting but with Arrowhead's NSR bullets it's a lot easier than you might think. Between me and my family we've had around 12 kills with them, deer don't take a step. Roughly 300gn bullet pushing 3100fps. You can get a full gun from Arrowhead or Hankins. Hankins will do barreled action. I've worked with and shot both, they are both fantastic, under 1" groups at 100. I grew up on the Savage MLII, and these guns blow the socks off those.
    I agree, it is a fantastic cartridge for youth and older hunters. I mean it let my grandpa shoot a deer this year when he sure couldn't have handled a 45/70 or muzzle loader. I may keep it purely out of hopes I get to see him shoot deer the next 5 years. It just isn't a performer at range.

You're correct on the muzzy season. I'm getting a 375 lapua or 37 XC barrel spun up sometime this year for next shotgun season. I shot a deer with a BMG this year at 500 yds which was fun to do once but didn't feel like hunting.

Those 45 cal muzzleloaders sound very interesting and I have a buddy in Kalona that has used them I think. Hankins seems like a good alternative if I can send him a 45 cal CVA. Boy those customs look and shoot sweet though! Velocity and bullet choice is the main reason I think muzzle loaders have sucked too so running a slug 2800+ fps would be awesome.

Reminds me of the first deer I shot. 50yds with a 7.5x55, pretty much ballistically equivalent to a 308. Took the first shot, the deer jumped, ran 30 yards and stood still. I couldn't believe I missed, but animals aren't supposed to trot around with holes in them, so I must've. Second shot right in the brain dropped the deer where it stood.
    Turns out the first shot was perfect, hit heart and one lung, found the nicely expanded bullet under the far side hide. The deer just didn't feel like flopping over dead I guess. Not sure how more ballistic horsepower would've helped.
    Deer are strange sometimes! And tougher than most give them credit for.

At the end of the day, I have already learned a lot as this 16" 350L is roughly the same size as my 14.5" 556 that I shoot with a lot. I've learned 16" is about as long as I'd want to go and I don't love LPVOs as much as I thought. I found myself walking with my scope on 2x more than 1x for accurate shot placement which has me thinking a little differently with the 1-8 on my 556. I hope we see a good 2-12 or 2.5-15 MPVO this year. Heck, even a light and compact 2.5-10 would get me excited

Reactions: lash
    I don’t build ARs, so take that for what it’s worth, but I’ve seen a lot of threads here where guys building large frame rifles run into all sorts of problems. My .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor ARs are my favorite rifles, but I wonder if an AR-15 would be a better tool for this job.

You could put a .450 Bushmaster, .458 Socom, or .50 Beowulf upper on an AR-15 pistol lower and be good to go. Since you are already in a frustrating situation, one of those uppers might be the easy button solution that will get you back out there and hunting the quickest. More people play around with small frame ARs, so any of these calibers/systems would have more vetting behind them than a wildcat like 45 Raptor even though the Raptor would be more interesting (to me). You’d also save some weight and recoil with a smaller build if that’s of any importance.

When you think about it, are you more interested in a setup that will get you hunting again with the least amount of tinkering, or are you more interested in the building/problem-solving aspect, and being able to hunt with your build would be a bonus?

I don’t build ARs, so take that for what it’s worth, but I’ve seen a lot of threads here where guys building large frame rifles run into all sorts of problems. My .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor ARs are my favorite rifles, but I wonder if an AR-15 would be a better tool for this job.

You could put a .450 Bushmaster, .458 Socom, or .50 Beowulf upper on an AR-15 pistol lower and be good to go. Since you are already in a frustrating situation, one of those uppers might be the easy button solution that will get you back out there and hunting the quickest. More people play around with small frame ARs, so any of these calibers/systems would have more vetting behind them than a wildcat like 45 Raptor even though the Raptor would be more interesting (to me). You’d also save some weight and recoil with a smaller build if that’s of any importance.

When you think about it, are you more interested in a setup that will get you hunting again with the least amount of tinkering, or are you more interested in the building/problem-solving aspect, and being able to hunt with your build would be a bonus?
    I appreciate that and have thought the same thing… I’ve got about 10 days left in the season and I can make the 350 work and just adjust my expectations.

Then I’ll have 9 months to figure out what I want to do next. I’m less concerned with the large frame fussiness because in my experience, having a reasonable buffer / spring weight and an adjustable gas block makes things very easy. In 9 months I might even have a load worked up that I like!

To answer your question, I’d much rather spend the time to build something that works well rather than throwing money at a short term solution

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
    I don’t know much on the conversion type guns. I’d definitely recommend just getting a SML with Brux barrel. Then you could use ASG NSR bullets and not worry about sizing. If you do a conversion or break action you’ll be leaving something on the table.

Had two coyotes come by me tonight.

1672462957778.jpeg

• Love
    Reactions: lash and rlsmith1
    Are you actually shooting it as a pistol or are you loopholing the fine print to hunt with a short barrel rifle?

How are you shooting deer where you are reliably dropping them? In all my time shooting deer (we shot 9 in a morning once) I have not had any drop with a 45/70, muzzle loader, or 350L unless they were shot in the spine. I'd say the minority of deer drop with a 12 ga slug which is about as ruthless as it gets (plenty of snow plows though with double shoulder / lungs). Of course you have the facing you shots that are always fun. I did once shoot a doe right up main street as she jumped a fence. I was lucky enough to tuck the slug between both hind quarters and the slug exited the front chest

I am shooting them with a .223 with 75 grain bullets and none of them have run over 30 yards.

A bigger bullet won't anchor your deer. Where you are shooting them, in that traditional chest area, is a good spot.

But,

You are counting on blood loss to kill them and that takes time. Most folks shoot them there because it is a big target and wastes little to no meat. But they will run a bit unless you shoot them with a huge bullet like a slug. That is why your 45-70 isn't anchoring them.

If you think you need your deer to flop right there, take shoulder shots. It's like magic. Or take head/neck shots.

With the terminal effects you want, I would take head/neck/shoulder shots only.

You guys are handicapped by your cartridge choices mandated by FUDDs in your state. Sorry. I won't go deep into the terminal ballistics here unless you want me to, but there's a scientific reason I am dropping deer up to 200 lb bucks in 30 yards or less with a 5.56.

That 200 lb buck only ran about 15 yards.

Your rifle will work just fine. Change where you shoot the deer and your problems will go away. Research shoulder shots.

With proper shot placement in the shoulder, they literally won't take another step.

Does it matter? I want to ethically kill game
    It kinda does. If you divide “pistol hunters” into two camps, you might divide the camps as ‘those that are using a pistol to get a late season tag and who understand the limitations of their equipment’ and ‘those that are using the written language of the law to use a low key rifle during pistol season.’

The first camp knows that they are hampered by short barrels, fat and ungainly bullets, and low charge weights.

The second camp is ‘using a rifle’ so f’n send it.

I mean, would you take 200 yard shots with your carry pistol at deer?

Ok, Injun Joe. What do you do when the deer you shoot with your bow head into the CRP?

You don’t need a change of equipment, you need a change of mindset.

For fucks sake. You drug the 45/70 into this conversation about deer hunting. You do realize that is the cartridge used to desimate (and beyond) the American Bison, right?

• Haha
    I am shooting them with a .223 with 75 grain bullets and none of them have run over 30 yards.

A bigger bullet won't anchor your deer. Where you are shooting them, in that traditional chest area, is a good spot.

But,

You are counting on blood loss to kill them and that takes time. Most folks shoot them there because it is a big target and wastes little to no meat. But they will run a bit unless you shoot them with a huge bullet like a slug. That is why your 45-70 isn't anchoring them.

If you think you need your deer to flop right there, take shoulder shots. It's like magic. Or take head/neck shots.

With the terminal effects you want, I would take head/neck/shoulder shots only.

You guys are handicapped by your cartridge choices mandated by FUDDs in your state. Sorry. I won't go deep into the terminal ballistics here unless you want me to, but there's a scientific reason I am dropping deer up to 200 lb bucks in 30 yards or less with a 5.56.

That 200 lb buck only ran about 15 yards.

Your rifle will work just fine. Change where you shoot the deer and your problems will go away. Research shoulder shots.

With proper shot placement in the shoulder, they literally won't take another step.
    That’s interesting, I had been trying to err on the side of no shoulder contact if anything to keep the bullet in one piece. I appreciate the info and will try that for sure. However, I’m less concerned with anchoring them if I can get a good entrance and/or exit wound to spill blood as they bleed out.

And honestly, we are handicapped but I don’t mind it because it does let a lot of bigger bucks live longer (I just want to maximize my effective range with what we have). Archery season during the rut really helps too.

It kinda does. If you divide “pistol hunters” into two camps, you might divide the camps as ‘those that are using a pistol to get a late season tag and who understand the limitations of their equipment’ and ‘those that are using the written language of the law to use a low key rifle during pistol season.’

The first camp knows that they are hampered by short barrels, fat and ungainly bullets, and low charge weights.

The second camp is ‘using a rifle’ so f’n send it.

Ok, Injun Joe. What do you do when the deer you shoot with your bow head into the CRP?

You don’t need a change of equipment, you need a change of mindset.

For fucks sake. You drug the 45/70 into this conversation about deer hunting. You do realize that is the cartridge used to desimate (and beyond) the American Bison, right?
    On the pistol hunters, it’s less of that and more of “you don’t want something until you can’t have it” and for us in IA, we can’t shoot rifles so these new regs are fun and new.

The way our deer seasons go is youth, season in September, archery until December, shotgun 1 for a week, shotgun 2 for two weeks, then late muzzle loader until Jan 10 (saddest day of the year!) Pheasant, goose, and a lot of other stuff closes Jan 10 too.

However, pistols may be used during any shotgun and late muzzle loader season so we don’t have a bunch of guys trying to get late season access with pistols. Instead, I think we will see more and more people trying to put something together that outperforms the typical muzzle loader or shotgun. Honestly, I wish the regs hadn’t changed but I can’t help but to try something new so here we are.

To answer your questions, no I wouldn’t shoot 200 with a carry pistol. But if it’s between a muzzle loader and carry pistol, I’ll take the muzzle loader unless I want to really surprise a something haha. What I’m trying to do is get better performance than what I’m giving up, which is a muzzle loader that is pretty capable to 150 yds even though terminal performance is a little finicky sometimes.

As for the bow, I don’t use that on deer drives so to me that’s an apples to oranges comparison. And honestly, a good shot with a bow is giving me way more blood on the ground than what I’m seeing with the 350L. Sure, it would be nice to have every deer broadside at 25 yds but that just isn’t reality late season (or in general as I’m sure you agree).

I very well may come to the conclusion it’s better to stick with the muzzle loader and figure that out, but I do want to consider all the options with these new regs. The ones @mjspeers mentioned are kinda crazy.

You are right, the 45/70 has done some real work in the past and that was with lower power loads than we have today. I’m not complaining about that round, just saying I’ve not anchored deer with it (which isn’t my goal). Maybe you missed my reference to a BMG too? :ROFLMAO:

ETA: spelling

I will echo some of this. I do not like our new laws, but it’s way better than allowing all rifles and/or having a gun season during the rut. I also have found it to be an excuse to try new things. I like to see a healthy deer herd and limited rifles along with no gun season during the rut seems to do that. There’s a reason Iowa grows some of the best whitetail in the country.

Also, I agree. The deer I have seen killed with 350L have very limited blood trails and usually no exits which is probably why the blood trail is limited. I do not like head/neck shots as I don’t find them to be ethical and prefer not to blow up a shoulder to save the meat. In my opinion, and I respect other opinions but disagree, the best shot on a deer is behind the shoulder, two lungs and hopefully a heart.

To your original question though, I’ve done the research, if you’re sticking with an AR pistol, whether it be Ar10 or AR15 length I think 358 win, 375 raptor, or 450 bushmaster would have the best energy down range.

But again, I sit in blinds and nothing can match a smokeless muzzleloader for the late season deer. 500y is reasonable if prone. 3-400y for me if I’m in a box and can be steady.

Rulger makes a quality 450BM AR. Easy button. I think mine has an 18” barrel. I sold the lower and swap the upper for deer season. Cost effective rifle, ammo readily available, puts large holes in deer. The 350L was marketed as a ”cheaper ammo alternative” deer round. No such thing as cheap center fire ammo anymore. The ”plinking/target” loads are cheaper, but hunting ammo is pricey like everything else.

Last edited:
    If you can use smokeless smoke poles and scopes, I'd do that. I'm in Washington so no scopes or smokeless powder for muzzleloader season.

Sounds to me like your problem is the specific bullet not expanding for whatever reason. Too fast, too slow, shitty design, doesn't matter. Pick a new one.

I've been muzzle loader hunting for 10 years or so now and have had more deer than not drop in their tracks with scorpion PT gold bullets over 2 magnum powder pellets. Going 1815 fps. Nothing goes far. Killed a couple elk that dump within 10 yards too.

Before the musket I was hunting with a 308 and I think every deer but my very first dropped in their tracks. I was using mostly federal fusion ammo then.

There have been pretty much every shot angle you can imagine in all those 25ish years.

That's all to say that the caliber and energy matter, but not as much as a good bullet transferring that energy to the vitals.

As a side note to some of the comments above, think about destroying a heart and then not finding blood. If the pump isn't running, then nothing will come out of the hole. Grand dad blasting a heart then not seeing a blood trail makes plenty of sense to me.

That is fantastic velocity from an 11" barrel. How have you gotten the FTX to feed reliably? What barrel are you running?

I believe part of the loading for the 350 is that it headspaces off the brass so OAL is critical (I haven't reloaded pistols at all so this is new to me). Would love to hear how the FTX and TSX loads do for you with that powder.

I am suppressed so the fireball isn't as much of a concern. That 16" I have now is so quiet I've been able to shoot a couple deer off a fence post from 80 to 110 yds and the herd just stayed in the field (unless they got shot haha). I love the way this gun suppresses.

The barrel is an X-Caliber SS 6 groove built to my spec. 11”, 16T, heavy contour .875 gas block, Carbine length gas, 5/8x24 threads.

For feeding I blended the M4 ramps in the extension. It still doesn’t like blunt rounded bullets like what comes in the Browning range ammo. I also modified a 300BO mag by cutting the ribs in the front of mag on the sides. Notched the front of mag a little lower. Top pic is milled side rib and notched front.
    B499A457-5024-4BB4-8A46-9F0ADE0A2436.jpeg
    C96FF7A3-9B8F-4568-B2D0-CD2355D5378B.jpeg

Shortened the feed lips to let the case release sooner.
    4C98598B-FCD7-43FB-A81C-3BD49E8179C5.jpeg

This is the first straight wall I’ve loaded for since 41 mag 25 years ago. It does head space off case mouth. All the cases for these loads measured within saami spec 1.697 - 1.705. I have new starline that I haven’t used yet. The Redding dies are nice. I very lightly expanded. Area 419 funnel with 338 bushing fits perfect.
    Seater has a built in taper crimp that I set so you cannot see it, but it measures exact same to .0005 smaller than factory neck diameter.

Today I ran 6 rounds of factory Hornady 165FTX across the magneto speed for control. Barrel sped up a little.
    6 x = 2187 avg 19.9 SD

SBR-Socom powder worked well for this.
    165 FTX loaded 2.265
    28.5 x 5 = 2146 SD 7.7
    29.5 x 5 = 2195 SD 7.0
    No pressure signs, brass looked good. Fed 20 rounds perfect
    Max load is listed at 30.4

Barnes 170 TSX loaded 2.265
    28.2 x 5 = 2111 SD 4.7
    29.2 x 5 = 2159 SD 7.3
    This is under max load but was compressed. The Barnes solids are about .055 longer that the FTX’s. I have a 350L ASC mag that will allow 2.305 OAL. Might try them. No pressure on these loads.
    The 170’s didn’t feed perfect. I think this was mainly mag related. At 2.265 these big hollow points were dragging the front of the mag a little. The pointy plastic tips on the FTX didn’t drag as bad.

Here is what the 170 Barnes looks like after hitting a plate at 200y
    This weighs 143g. They were designed for 350L & I think these are going to work well.
    C75EBB91-BE8F-4E89-9476-EEFA492CBB2D.jpeg

Target on left is FTX, Right is 170 TSX. Groups included 1 full grain powder spread & 2 different brass types. Red dot with 3x magnifier set rail on a bag. Shot steel at 150 & 200.
    184556A5-6515-4CAC-AF99-E65B200ED636.jpeg

Depends on the carry pistol.
    Screenshot_20230101-194515_Messages.jpg

Xframe in 460s&w. I've printed 4" groups on steel out to two hundred with the factory 200gr ftx load. Admittedly haven't done it to an animal yet though. Missed a pig at 110 yards. Thought he was farther. Sent it just over his back.
    Screenshot_20230101-193839_Gallery.jpg

And what was that about pistols and low charge weights? I can't remember for sure but iirc I loaded 45.0gr of H110 under a 240gr xtp lit by a Winchester large rifle primer.
    In the pic is a 357 magnum, the 460s&w and a 308.

To the OP I say 45 raptor. Pretty much the same thing as the 460s&w and they really pick up some steam in a longer tube. Friend of mine built a single shot 460s&w on a 700 action for a friend of his in a state with weird cartridge rules and in an 18" barrel the factory 200gr ftx load went from 2100fps in the 8⅜" xframe to 2900 in the bolt gun!

@bohem
    Do you have any data on solids that could help these fellas out?

Depends on the carry pistol.
    View attachment 8036054
    Xframe in 460s&w. I've printed 4" groups on steel out to two hundred with the factory 200gr ftx load. Admittedly haven't done it to an animal yet though. Missed a pig at 110 yards. Thought he was farther. Sent it just over his back.
    View attachment 8036057
    And what was that about pistols and low charge weights? I can't remember for sure but iirc I loaded 45.0gr of H110 under a 240gr xtp lit by a Winchester large rifle primer.
    In the pic is a 357 magnum, the 460s&w and a 308.

To the OP I say 45 raptor. Pretty much the same thing as the 460s&w and they really pick up some steam in a longer tube. Friend of mine built a single shot 460s&w on a 700 action for a friend of his in a state with weird cartridge rules and in an 18" barrel the factory 200gr ftx load went from 2100fps in the 8⅜" xframe to 2900 in the bolt gun!
    You got an appendix carry rig for that hog leg? Cuz, it’s not exactly what I’d call a daily carry pistol. But, if you’re strapped with that every day, more power to you.

My point still stands that a pistol hunter should think more like a bow hunter than a centerfire rifle hunter. You’re meme cannon notwithstanding.

• Haha
    You got an appendix carry rig for that hog leg? Cuz, it’s not exactly what I’d call a daily carry pistol. But, if you’re strapped with that every day, more power to you.

My point still stands that a pistol hunter should think more like a bow hunter than a centerfire rifle hunter. You’re meme cannon notwithstanding.
    Na no appendix rig for that one lol. I tried a shoulder holster originally but it still tried to drag the ground. Keeping the weight centered is the key. I did know a guy that carried a 50ae desert eagle for his daily at one time though.

When I first read about the 460 and they touted it had enough energy from a handgun to take deer sized game at 230 yards l I just had to have one. It's pleasant to shoot with the 200's and fairly flat. I've yet to bust something with my 240gr xtp load buy the 200 ftx do pretty good.

I agree with you on the bow hunter mindset as well. I used to bow hunt then I got on this pistol kick. Most of where I hunt is 150 yards and in so it's too close for me to be enjoyable with a rifle anyway.

Update here after a month offline, apparently this whole discussion is moot now with the AFT’s latest stunt wit h pistol braces.

I was gonna shoot a doe with a 44 mag revolver but wanted to stick one with a bow first. Maybe next year, I appreciate the insight and look forward to next year!

I shoot the 358 win an AR 10 16" barrel the 250 gr bullets going 2250 fps with excellent accuracy. Very cheap if you handload ...brass can be free 308, necked up to 358. And pistol bullets, like bulk 147 gr 9mm or 357 mag can be used for plinking. Go subsonic with 280 swift or 310gr Woodleigh..

• Love
    Have you considered building a bolt action pistol?
    Unless state law prohibits it, a Taurus Raging Hunter in .454 would be the easy button.

Jesus. The last 6 whitetail I've shot have been in the head between 60 and 108yds with a small CF cartridge. Last year's antelope at 600yds. I haven't looked for blood trails in years.

375 Ruger for whitetail?....
    Nothing wrong with a 375 Ruger for deer, I've hunted them with a 416 Rigby and a 325 gr Barns copper at 2850 fps...But I've killed more deer with a 338 mag than another caliber. Also have a 50BMG for squirrels when not using the 308 for squirrel hunting. I can't remember killing anything with the 223 although I've fired many thousands of rds of 223. I use the 222 for hunting small game, and one old man in a remote area used it for elk, many yrs ago. Another guy used a 458 win mag for deer as well as elk. Back in the day a 12 yr old kid could barrow an old 30-30 to hunt big game with...Whatever works for ya.