• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need mounting advice for Bushnell 3-12x 44mm

Alsmyles

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
The BIG I on the HI
Aloha
i just recently bought a Savage 10 fcp-k in .308 and im trying to find a base and rings for it.
First off i am very new to shooting ( this is my first gun ). I guess you could say im jumping in head first cause i dont know anyone who shoots out here yet (Hawaii) so iv pretty much been doin lots of research/lurking in forums and asking for advice whenever i can.
I plan on mounting a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x 44mm

Heres the specifications
Mfg Item Num: ET3124F
Magnification :3x-12x
Objective :44mm
Field of View :9 ft @ 100 yds
Eye Relief :3.75"
Tube Diameter :30mm
Length :13"
Weight :24.4 oz
Finish :Matte
Reticle :Illuminated Mil-dot (green)
Adj Size :.1 MIL per click

So far the base i have the most confidence in is "Badger Ordnance - Maximized Scope Rail, 20 MOA - Savage Short Action w/Accutrigger" about $140
but thats a given since it was made for the gun i have.
With the matching rings( another $150 ish ) Its expensive, but if its a quality piece id rather buy once and cry once. And it doesnt sound like this is a place to skimp on, seeing as its holding the 2 really expensive parts together!
But because im so inexperienced i dont know the difference between a good piece and an expensive piece, or if its overkill, or if a good deal slaps me in the face.
So that's why im putting this out there so i can gain some perspective and make a good buy.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this and any help is greatly appreciated
Much Mahalo's
Cody

Re: Need mounting advice for Bushnell 3-12x 44mm

i'm with 7.62texan on this, yeah it is expensive, but you are putting together a good QUALITY rig, that you will probably only have to cry once.

if the checkbook can handle it, your doing the right thing. especially being your first rifle, it may turn out to be the only rifle you'll need if it's done correctly, and it looks like it is.

I saved a few bucks by calling Jay @ SportOptics. I went with Nightforce base and ultralight low rings, works great

i felt more confident in the badger cause it was made specifically for the savage down to the short action with accutrigger. but do those 2 things mean i cant put any base on my gun?
and for the rings, there's a lot of different sizes standard to ultra high.Is there a way to take the scope dims and figure out which height i need ?
Thanks for the great advice so far!

Alsmyles, there's a reason for high-priced gear and you killed it, "buy once, cry once." I, for one, learned this a bit too late...Badger Ordnance components are top-notch.