• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Need MV for 308 with 18in barrel

viav13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Montcalm Co. MI
Hey guys,
I don't have a chrono and want to get a good idea at my muzzle velocity out of my Remmy 700 with 168gr FGMM.

SPS tactical barrel cut down
18in barrel
1x12 twist

I'm hoping someone out there has a solid number that I can put into my ballistic program and get me a more accurate read out. Right now I'm just using what was on the box and am not to confident in my estimated guess of lost MV.

Thanks

Re: Need MV for 308 with 18in barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would guess 2540fps ish range. </div></div>

That was my guess too. But I was really looking for someone with a similar setup who had some actual numbers. Maybe with some altitude and temp with it.
Thanks though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm, maybe i should post this in a more heavily trafficked area? </div></div>
Maybe the subject is all too common that every week short barrel topic keeps popping up. Look thru the reloading,bolt action rifles and range report threads.You will find your answer, just take the time and read thru old threads. Semper Fi.

Buy a chonograph. It's well worth the money to have.

There is a TON of info available her on this topic; this thread was 10 posts below yours:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2177339#Post2177339

You can probably estimate your 18" barrel MV pretty well from the #s it contains (but it will only be an estimate). Then buy a chrony as Rob01 suggested and actually determine the MV with your setup/ammo, I guarantee you won't regret the purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm, maybe i should post this in a more heavily trafficked area?</div></div>Nobody will be able to give you your data for your gun.

And they won't have to. Run the numbers in your ballistics program: what's the difference in bullet drop at 2500fps and 2550fps, and at different temperatures, between 200 and 500 yards?