• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Need new 18" Tundra pickup tires.... looking for recommendations

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    My 2012 Tundra needs some new tires. I'm looking for something that is relatively durable, and probably half way between a highway tire and a super swamper tread==> ie not a super deep open lug tire, but reasonable traction in the woods and not too noisy on the highway, (even though I'm half deaf)

. Also if there's currently rebates/discounts going on for a set that's a plus.

I'm done with Les Schwab (Northwest(local) Chain of Stores) as they've increasingly tried to sell shit or have unnecessary work done on our family's rigs to generate $, not because it was needed- verified by our regular mechanic.

Thanks for your recommendations. Probably 60% of driving pavement miles, 40% dirt county and unimproved woods roads.

I've got an '07 4x4 with 18" wheels. Been using Michelin LTX A/T2. I think they are 10 ply tires if I remember correctly. My last set of tires got 104,000 miles on them and still had I think 5 or 6/32" of tread on them. Dry rot was a bigger problem than the worn tread. Bought them through Discount Tire at about $400 each. I went back with the same tires. and would buy them again.

Been pretty happy with Goodyear wranglers over the years. I would describe it as that kind of tire. I have the 7 ply on the tacoma and the 10 ply on the diesel.

Goodyear Duratrac. Not the quietest for sure, not the best fuel mileage either, but they’re the best all around road and dirt/mud/snow/ice tires I’ve ever run. It’s all we’re allowed to put on the work trucks that don’t see time on the rails themselves, and I’m glad of it. We run on a lot of large rock too, rare do we get punctures until we’re in the 4/32” tread range.

Reactions: Bradu and KYAggie
    I've got an '07 4x4 with 18" wheels. Been using Michelin LTX A/T2. I think they are 10 ply tires if I remember correctly. My last set of tires got 104,000 miles on them and still had I think 5 or 6/32" of tread on them. Dry rot was a bigger problem than the worn tread. Bought them through Discount Tire at about $400 each. I went back with the same tires. and would buy them again.
    You'll never go wrong with Michelin's I put them on every vehicle I buy.

• Love
    Reactions: BytorJr
    Midway through my second winter on my Falken Wildpeaks mentioned above.
    quite pleased with them for a do it all tire.
    Lot of snow and icy roads. Gravel and 4x4 roads in the summer.
    plenty of streets and freeways in between.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
    I'm a Michelin Man, at times I even feel as fat as Bibendum. If I were not running Michelin, I'd look at Bridgestone (though less for truck that auto). Now, R rated tires, I'd stay with my Toyos. LOL. But your truck doth not run R-rated tires I'm guessing.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    I put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 13 Tundra. 20,000 miles hardly any wear. Tire shop manager said the loggers running on the gravel roads are getting 50-60K on them in 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks.
    they ride well, and have really good grip in the mud.

Reactions: ZiaHunter
    I put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 13 Tundra. 20,000 miles hardly any wear. Tire shop manager said the loggers running on the gravel roads are getting 50-60K on them in 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks.
    they ride well, and have really good grip in the mud.
    I couldn’t get more than 28k out of a set on my 1 ton srw Duramax. A really good all around tire but not on a heavy truck.

After two sets I gave up b/c of the shitty wear and just put on a set of Toto at3’s. They ride good so far but time will tell.

I put 60k on Nitto Terra Grappler G2s. Awesome tire, and good cross over between highway and off-road.

Just put on the more aggressive Ridge Grappler. Also a great tire so far, about 5k miles on them. Road noise is a little more noticible, but if having a conversation or listening to the radio, you won't be bothered. They are also a bit heavier, lost a few MPGs over the G2s.

If you are off road multiple times per week, or every weekend, I'd recommend the Ridge Grappler. If off road once a month or a couple times per year, go Terra Grappler G2.

Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Great warranty if needed and you'll love them.

Michelin if you don’t drive on gravel a lot otherwise BF Goodrich TA/KO2. I used to use Michelin M/S tires as they were really good on the highway and in snow but they changed the compound and gravel quickly wore out the tire. They have made it better for gravel but I’ve just stuck with the TA/KO2s. All of my other vehicles have Michelin tires.

I have a 17 Tundra and it’s a great truck. If you’re in the snow a lot in the winter, look hard at Goodyear Duratrac. If not, give the Nito Ridge Grappler a hard look. My ‘16 4 Runner has the Terra Grappler G2’s on it with about 29,000 on the tires. They no longer have the greatest traction in the rain or snow and I’ll replace them before next winter for sure with Duratracs. I would not put Terra Grapplers on my Tundra they seem to wear out a bit fast.

Goodyear Duratrac. Not the quietest for sure, not the best fuel mileage either, but they’re the best all around road and dirt/mud/snow/ice tires I’ve ever run. It’s all we’re allowed to put on the work trucks that don’t see time on the rails themselves, and I’m glad of it. We run on a lot of large rock too, rare do we get punctures until we’re in the 4/32” tread range.

My favorite tire, they wear good and work great.

I have ran 10 ply mastercraft courser cxt tires on 3 vehicles now.

Great tires, and they dig.

Seem to wear as good as any other aggressive a/t I've bought over the years and not noisy on the interstate.

I used to buy the BFG K02 until this last set. Went with the Nitto Ridge Grappler and have been pleased. Have about 40k on them and still plenty of tread. They do great on ranch roads in all conditions and aren't too loud on the highway.

Reactions: RickyRodney
    I couldn’t get more than 28k out of a set on my 1 ton srw Duramax. A really good all around tire but not on a heavy truck.

After two sets I gave up b/c of the shitty wear and just put on a set of Toto at3’s. They ride good so far but time will tell.
    I have 40k on mine on a 600hp 2015 Dmax with probably another 20k left. They are holding up far better than my last KO2s that gave it up at 37k.

I've had most every tire on our Wranglers and gladiator and I like the Falken WildPeak A/T3W's. Duratracs were good, but didn't last long before becoming noisy/choppy. Good traction, not noisy, smooth at speed, balance well. They can be found on Gladiator Rubicon or Mojave variants, if you want to see a set.

I have been pretty pleased w/ Nitto Terra Grappler. Decent millage, decent traction off rd (soggy pastures). Not a snow tire. If we got more snow here I'd go with something else.

nitto terra grapplers, they run smooth on my 2500 cummins, if they can handle that weight that can handle a tundra fine. dont make a ton of noise either

Look for a C or D load range, unless you're carrying gravel or towing a lot, on that vehicle a heavier E load range tire will ride harsh.

Reactions: DIBBS
    Nitto Terra Grappler G2s just got my dad a set for his 1/2 ton, they worked well when I had them on my 3/4 but I wanted something a bit more aggressive off road. I now run the Ridge Grappler on my 3/4 ton and they do great on the road and off the road.

Look for a C or D load range, unless you're carrying gravel or towing a lot, on that vehicle a heavier E load range tire will ride harsh.
    But make sure the tire has a high enough load rating for the GVWR of the truck. I personally work look at a load range D for a 1/2 ton, if you only do a little towing.

Reactions: DIBBS
    BF Goodrich KO2. Very expensive but they last a long time.

I have 40k on mine on a 600hp 2015 Dmax with probably another 20k left. They are holding up far better than my last KO2s that gave it up at 37k.
    I wish I could get that kind of mileage on any tire on my diesel.

I wish I could get that kind of mileage on any tire on my diesel.
    I honestly didn't have high hopes for these. I have not had good luck with Nitto longevity in the past, but I gave them a shot and have been impressed.

Been running Nitto G2's on my 4Runner TRD Pro. Always ran Michelins for years but they just didn't have a good option for the 4Runner. On my second set without issues and have run them off road in the mountain of NM and SW Colorado without issue.

Another vote for the falken wildpeaks, been on my wife’s sequoia for a year and a half and treads look brand new; includes several off-road camping trips. I’m about to out a set on my tundra, price-wise they punch a class above and great in snow/ice.