• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need new 22rf pistol (Steel Challenge gun)

GetReal

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2020
I am SOOOO done with Ruger 22/45 pistols. Long story. But done. No more Rugers. Wanting something else.

This will be a Steel Challenge rimfire gun.Wanting to run a red dot.

I like the Volquartsen Skorpion, but its too Rugerish.... I am told you can totally lock it up if you disassemble the wrong way. (Watched numerous owner videos) Not wanting to do that again. Ever.

What else is out there? Recommendations?

The smith performance center victory is a pretty well set up pistol. I prefer it over the ruger or buckmark.

I like the looks of that. Easy field stripping and cleaning too.

I have the S&W Performance Center Victory 22 with red dot. Nice gun. Very accurate. Had a problem with ejection/jamming--well know issue and an easy fix.

Reactions: GetReal
I was just thinking of picking up a MK IV 22/45. Were you having problems with a MK IV, or an older model? Just curious, I’ve not seen any reports of the MK IVs locking up yet, but that clearly doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Thanks!

I was just thinking of picking up a MK IV 22/45. Were you having problems with a MK IV, or an older model? Just curious, I’ve not seen any reports of the MK IVs locking up yet, but that clearly doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Thanks!

Mk3 series. Its Volquartsen feame. This is the 1st gun I have ever truly hated with a holy hatred. If he wasn't already dead I would hurt bill ruger.

As I understand it the mkiv series in prove this design flaw.

Reactions: Basher
I really like my Beretta Neos. I know a lot of folks hate the space gun look but it's reliable and accurate, especially with the longer barrel.

I should have added in my previous post that the Browning is very nice. Got to fondle one at the range a few months ago. The owners really liked theirs.

Thanx all. Along with your recommends and a little research, I ordered a S&W Performance Center Victory .

Now to fully Tandemkross this one, too.

Anyone wanna buy a good condition, used Tandemkross / Volquartsen Ruger Mk 3? :)

Just watched the TK trigger upgrade video. I can already tell the S&W is a better, simpler design than the Ruger Mk series.

Ordered yesterday, at my dealer today. From Davidson's. Literally 24 hours. Never seen nuthin' like it.

20200506_155707.jpg

Reactions: crackerbrown
Field Test: S&W Performance Center Victory

Price as tested: $619 (Davidsons)

Caliber: 22rf

Accessories: 2 mags, factory polymer picatinny rail, gun lock, padded carry case with S&W Perrormance Center logo

This is my review of the S&W Pert Ctr Victory:

Weight: First thing you notice picking the gun up is the weight -a claimed 38 oz. At least as compared to my Volquartsen framed Tac-Sol upper Ruger Mk3, this is a portly pistol. Steel framed, the weight is of some concern in Rimfire Challenge transitions. It should last well into the next millennia, from the construction. As tested with the C-More Railway, the gun is a beast.. A little less weight with a little more recoil might be a better combination. If this gun is to be a “ trainer” for your 1911 full size, the weight will feel familiar.

Compensator: Perhaps it’s the weight, or maybe it’s the comp, but this gun has very little recoil / muzzle rise. It is FAST in follow up shots. Faster on steel plates side by side in array, than my “Ruger.” Arguably what is lost in transitions is gained in speed of follow ups…. And not having to wrangle the gun back into control. Its true 22rf doesn’t recoil much, but when your game rests on hundredths of a second, even 22rf recoil is significant. Bottom line: I’m in no hurry to buy the Tandemkross (TdK) “Game Changer” comp.

Reliability: In over 100 rounds fired, I had one failure… to fire when the firing pin struck the cartridge rim. I attribute this to ammo. (CCI Standard Velocity) Ejection was strong…. Shooters to your right may be injured by spent cases. While aftermarket extractors are available, they don’t seem needed. Magazines ejected strongly. NO worries about “drop free.”

Trigger: With any new gun purchase, The first thing I’ve always ripped out and trashed was the factory trigger. At this price point, your really don’t expect much from a factory gun. I had planned to immediately replace this one with the TdK upgrade. Now, after testing it…. I’m not so sure. Its flat-face trigger comes equipped with both take up and overtravel adjustment screws , and breaks right at 3lb average. And the break is like a “glass rod” … pretty amazing at this price point. I’ll wait and see if it holds me back in competitions.

Accuracy: Pending. . About 2” groups at 15 yards (using a C-More Railway red dot.) This was more a “sight-in” than an accuracy test. Others have reported excellent accuracy, so we shall see over the next 500 rounds.

Aftermarket: TdK seems to be the Big Dog here, and they sell hammers, triggers, aluminum picatinny rails, +1 round followers, low-pro red dot mounts, competition mag base plates, compensators and a bunch of other swag.

Barrel: Carbon fiber wrapped. Saves a little bit of weight over the standard SW22.

Controls: Here’s perhaps the gun main “challenge," and where the first aftermarket money should go. The mag release button is YUGE. And highly sensitive. Not so much while shooting but during any handling, you can expect the magazine to fire out of the magwell and injure any nearby spectators. The “Hive” TdK grip is excellent – both supple and grippy, with a nice mag release button recess – for the much needed after market mag release button.

The other problem with the controls is the manual safety. Numerous times during live fire I found myself inadvertently engaging it – it sits right under where your firing hand thumb rests. Perhaps it’s a training issue, or maybe there’s an aftermarket solution, but it engages way too easily and is exactly in the wrong place. I can see it biting my butt in competition….just at the worst possible moments (plural.) Its gotta go.

Cycling: Very reliable. Cocking the gun was a bit challenging. While I have large hands, grabbing the slide serrations with thumb and forefinger was challenging, and the action (new gun) stiff. Perhaps it will wear in with time, and TdK sells a rear ring for index finger cycling.

Fit and finish: One grip screw came from the factory bunged up, and the right hand side of the frame just in front of the ejection port showed a half dozen little marks - before I personally fired the gun (The magazine just popped out AGAIN as I set the gun down) I expected a bit better at $600. The polymer picatinny rail was loose as it came from the factory – a quick fix as I found my red dot sight slopping around. The polymer rail will likely be replaced with a TdK low-profile red dot mount.

Takedown / field stripping: one hex head screw right in front of the trigger guard. Infinitely easier than the Ruger Mk 1-3, which is an idiotic design. Bolt pops right out and can also be stripped and cleaned very easily.

Overall: a great value in a very good shooter for $620. Its “race – ready” - you could compete with the gun as it is (after mounting a red dot – the gun comes with no sights) Planned after market includes: replacing the mag release button, a low profile red dot mount, slide cycling “ring”, and some solution for the manual safety. Also, as I immediately removed the “magazine safety” there is an aftermarket replacement that maintains the strong mag ejection. Other possible aftermarket: replacement lighter weight trigger, hammer, maybe the Game Changer comp. Extended magazine base pads might be nice, but also sem unnecessary , at least for Rimfire Challenge type comps

Last edited:
Thats a pretty slick setup from S&W. Glad to see them come to the .22 market with something good

I've had two .22/45's and have not liked either.

that all being said, in my personal opinion the .22/45 models suck compared to the traditional models. I've had a Mark 3 standard and now I have a Mark 4 tactical w/ the traditional grip and have loved both.

The Mark 4 is now the easiest pistol to disassemble and its a damn fine shooter.

I am SOOOO done with Ruger 22/45 pistols. Long story. But done. No more Rugers. Wanting something else.

This will be a Steel Challenge rimfire gun.Wanting to run a red dot.

I like the Volquartsen Skorpion, but its too Rugerish.... I am told you can totally lock it up if you disassemble the wrong way. (Watched numerous owner videos) Not wanting to do that again. Ever.

What else is out there? Recommendations?
So, I hear you're looking to sell a Ruger?

Update: group size test... Vortex red dot.... 5 rds @ 13 yds...

20200509_135959.jpg

Looking forward to see how you end up liking it. I need another 22lr for my oldest boy and was looking at the MK4 Hobu volquartsen but I wouldn't complain about saving some money.

Looking forward to see how you end up liking it. I need another 22lr for my oldest boy and was looking at the MK4 Hobu volquartsen but I wouldn't complain about saving some money.

Did you see my review above? :)

I went ahead and bought TdK Hammer and trigger to light up the trigger weight as I continued shooting the gun, the trigger developed some creep.

In my testing I did a lot of steel plate work and the gun transitions pretty good.

Id recommend it.

I read it. I thought you said you had around 100rds though it. Hopefully see if you find anything that comes up as you start shooting it more.

Yeah, put 200 more rounds thru yesterday. The trigger developed some creep. And the manual safety wasnt a problem yesterday.

The journey begins.

Last edited: