• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need new chrono

paulrem308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
South ms
Looking into new chrono. Weighing options between magneto and lab radar.
Magneto v3 with off barel mount about $600. Sporter a litle less.
Lab radar about the same.
Note that shooting done with suppresor 100% of time. Don't care about bells and whistles. Just need reliability and repeatability.
Side note: can magneto sportelr be used with a supresor with off barel mount? Are there new mounts don't know about other than mk?

I let someone with a suppressor borrow my Magneto Sporter and it worked fine.

Another question for those that have use both: which is more pita to use set up(more finicky)?

Magneto V3 with a Gray ops mount if you shoot matches with more than 20 ppl on the line.

One time set up and you can deploy the the thing and be taking shots within 90 secs

In terms of accuracy both are retail grade sensors so you’ll get within .1-.2 if you do everything right. Neither is a substitute for trying your balistic calculator to actually drops at distance.

For suppresor work youllneed the trigger for the labradar and you might find yourself deleting false readings when you bump or run the bolt.

You’ll have to play with the sensitivity and the settings which are a lot more user definable than on the V3.

Pistol work is another area where the labradar has the v3 beat.

You also get an app which is usable and i would say useful too. Its the main complaint of some people here but for me it worked well. Its just not super polished, it might be better now.

suppressed vs not suppressed shooting work with the v3 is the same. The menu is nokia simple and you get a csv file archive update for each series as you create them.

The strap mount is…subpar. POI doesn’t shift on heavy straight taper barrels but anything else it will. The gray ops mount is the best out there in my opinion but MKM makes a nice one too and wiser i think too.

I used my buddy’s labradar for a few months last year and accuracy wise they are both the same but decided to go V3 just for the rapid deployment part.

I shoot a lot matches where all you might get is a tight spot thats also covered in Snow or full of rocks/uneven… the arca mounted V3 solved that for me.

If you are planning on running the chrono on more manicured setting with more setup time, the labradar might be a better option.

Lab Radar just too tweaky for me I have use my Magneto Speed for over 7 years. When my old display died the boys at Magneto Speed replaced it with no question. They are great to deal with.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
If you shoot around others get the msv3.
If you shoot by yourself get the ladradar.

I shoot with a can over the labradar every weekend and basically never have issues with it. Just set the muzzle 4” behind the radar so that what limited blast remains is directed at the radar to trigger it.

I use magnetospeed with suppressors all the time and it works great. Fast, simple, reliable and consistent. No experience with lab radar.
same here. i finally got rid of the original battery and upgraded to the non standard one and it works alot better

I like the V3. Had to make all the set screws bigger in the Acra mount so it wouldn't move now and then. Once I did that, it's super easy never moves. I always shoot suppressed as well.

I ran a Magentospeed v3 for years, but once I started bringing more and more rifles with me, switching back and forth got old. Just picked up a labradar with a recoil trigger. I shoot suppressed on every rifle. Love the setup.

Fwiw, the magnetospeed never failed me. I also used the wiser mount a few times.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
Since lab radar is unabtanium, probably gone go magneto with mk mount. Are there beter mounts? Don't want anything touching the barrel.

Since lab radar is unabtanium, probably gone go magneto with mk mount. Are there beter mounts? Don't want anything touching the barrel.
If you drill and tap every set screw and increase the size by a good bit, that mount becomes very solid.

I have both the MagnetoSpeed and the LabRadar.

Bottom line is I use the LabRadar regularly and haven't touched the MagnetoSpeed in years.

The MagnetoSpeed affects the zero of the rifle when you take it on and off. This makes it a pain when you are doing load development. Additionally, you have to deal with the mount loosening while you shoot and shims for different barrel profiles. I have to re-check the MS after every few shots to make sure it isn't slipping or loosening and I couldn't really trust any of the groups I shot with it attached to the barrel.

I do have one of the older MS units and they probably have better mounts by now and I know there are rail mount aftermarket options but the LR has none of these issues to begin with.

Lastly, I also chrono my pistol loads with my LR. Have fun doing that with an MS.

By contrast, the LR is pretty much set it and forget it once you have it programmed the way you want it. Admittedly, I do usually shoot away from other shooters so the LR doesn't pick up their shots but settings can help with that too.

V3 here. The only potential disadvantage I see to it is the barrel mount. As noted above the aftermarket mounts for the V3 solve that issue. I have the MPA mount - works great and the whole thing sets up in less than a minute. A friend also upgraded from the Labrador to the V3 with a Gray Ops mount - that is a sweet setup as well.

I used my friend’s Labradar a few times before he upgraded. Worked fine but definitely had more glitches and required more fussing around than the V3. Had a cheap feel to it and wind was a problem requiring more stuff to set up and anchor.

I think the only advantage to the Labradar is if one is shooting several rifles as in every range session as noted above. I shoot 1 or 2 rifles when I go to the range and only use a chronometer for load development or an occasional check if something seems off with a barrel.

SOMETHING NO ONE ELSE HAS MENTIONED: If you shoot regularly on an indoor or cluttered/close quarters outdoor ranges, you may find the LabRadar very aggravating. Mine performs flawlessly on open ranges 100 yards or more in length, but on shorter ranges - especially if there are "hard" objects on it or shooting really close to side berms - I get a lot more "missed" shots, presumably because of wave scatter. Using the low-power setting helps.

I've never tried mine on an indoor range, but its behavior on one short, cluttered 50-yard range leads me to think it would be a pita with side walls and an overhead.

did you not watch the video they say april fools in the video it's a gag .

Reactions: Baron23
Haha…I cut off at the very end so yeah…the joke is on me.

Damn, I caught on to all the other Fools Day gags but def fell for this one.

@Feniks Technologies - ah, never mind. Haha

Oh don’t worry. I sent Erik a screenshot.

We thank you for the entertainment. 😘😘

Oh don’t worry. I sent Erik a screenshot.

We thank you for the entertainment. 😘😘
Hey, it was 10 pm here on the east coast and in my personal idea of cocktail hour(s). I was in a diminished state….that’s my story and I’m sticking w it.

As for chronos, I’m quite happy w my Labradar and have found the occasional spurious entry from another shooter to be easy to identify and simple to fix.

But after my amazing demonstration of cognitive abilities I wouldn’t listen to anything I say. Lol.

Love my MS V3. So simple and works great. I just need MV and SD and that’s all I care about. It travels easy and sets up quickly.

On the V3 the POI is a problem for most contours exept for the heavier 1.2-1.25 and up straights.

On my 1.25” 29” there is no POI shift when using the strap mount, none. But the strap mount is garbage .

Gray Ops, MKM, Wiser and a few others amake mounts for it. Owning a V3 and not owning a mount is like owning a labradar and not owning a trigger for it or a elevated pod…id say it’s incomplete.

The OP never said what’s the intended use for it.
Id pick a labradar in a second for shooting on a flat range with time for setup and pistol shooting.

A V3 with a mount for super fast deployment at a match or to check speed on a pinch.

Thank you to everyone that responded. Finally made relavent post i quess. Starting to Lean towards the magneto with an off barrel mount. Not sure where , but i AM totally missing the differances between the sporter and v3 version in regards to surppresor use,assuming it just the way the mounts are designed. If could get hands on one would probably be an aha moment. Again wil be used with surppresor and load development.