• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need New Mtn Bike

LibertyArms

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
Southwest PA
Gents, looking into a new mtn bike. Havent bought a new one for quite a few years, would still be using th e gary fisher, but suspension busted off lol. Looking for a hardtail, front suspension. figured id ask on here to see whats new and what your using. Looking mid range, dont need carbon fiber. There are so many options. 800 price range.

Thoughts opinions ?

Re: Need New Mtn Bike

I raced my first mountain bike race a month ago with my eight year old Specialized Hard Rock. I needed l a new bike after doing that. I am 6' 3" around 220 with a 36" inseam. I looked at all of the 29 ers around but I bought a Trek Cobia that was designed by Gary Fisher. The best bike I have ever rode, by a long shot. If you are tall I would look at one of these.

Consider used. I just picked up a 2011 Specialized Pitch Pro. Fun bike but more All Mountain then strictly XC. It kills it on the downhill technical stuff though.

Get the best Trek/Fisher or Specialized you can get within your price range and you can't really go wrong. They are the big guys in the biz, and have the most leverage with Shimano and SRAM.

Also look at last years bikes, they usually don't change that much from year to year.

Hit craigslist and look for stuff about 3-4 years old. You'll get an $2k bike for your $800 this way. There isn't a new $800 bike worth owning and riding seriously IMO. Heck my forks alone are $770.

I'm a big Giant fan. The Trance or Anthem lines are where you want to be for a good dual suspension XC bike that climbs well yet goes down hill like a banshee. The "2" or higher is where you want to be as well; their "3" bikes are a bit too far downgraded on parts for my taste.

Both of these are full susp. bikes. Hardtails - a 29er hardtail is nirvana on 2 wheels, but again you gotta have the right parts/weight to make it a good package.

Feel free to PM me any CL links you are looking at for an opinion.

Looking to get back into this as well. Have not been on one in 12 years, but used to race and ride alot. This 29'er thing is cool, and everything else has come a long, long way. Anybody know of any MTB's still made in the US?

Thanks

I bought a used full squishy specialized for 800. It was 2 years old but still will out perform me on a trail.

Like _9H said, used is the way to get the most bike for the money.

I don't have specific recommendations except that I'd avoid Cannondale. The stupid Lefty front suspension works great when all the oil hasn't leaked out onto the trail, but that's pretty damn rare.

Last bike I bought was a cannondale m800, but that was in 94 or so, I'lfd look at the buyers guide and figure if you doing downhill stuff, in the woods stuff or just trail and city riding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last bike I bought was a cannondale m800, but that was in 94 or so, I'lfd look at the buyers guide and figure if you doing downhill stuff, in the woods stuff or just trail and city riding.</div></div>

The Cannondale M800, aka the "Beast of the East". A fantastic bike that I beat the living crap out of and it never blinked. I would love to have that thing back. Overbuilt with XTR (my upgrades) there wasn't anything it wouldn't do. Sure, it wasn't fancy full suspension but with an extra high bottom bracket it could really blaze a trail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sure, it wasn't fancy full suspension but with an extra high bottom bracket it could really blaze a trail. </div></div>

I just built up a 29'er hardtail and after 9 12 hours on it in the last 2 weeks will most likely be selling my full suspension 29'er.

Just picked up a GT Avalanche 3.0. I haven't used a bike in 7 years. For a beginner bike, Its great(was torn between it and a Trek 4300). If you want a full suspension you might find a nice used GT Sensor out there.

I picked up a 1 yr old Cannondale off Craigslist and spent less than half of the price the local bike shop was asking.

Last year I picked up a 29er and really like it - I'd suggest you ride a 29er before making your decision. I felt like it was a night and day difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good source http://www.mtbr.com/

I went from a Trek 930 I bought in 1998 to a 6000 last year and they sure have came a long way. Check out link and go to a few bike shops. </div></div>

This is one of the best places to find very nice bikes for sale.

What happened to the suspension? You might want to take it into a shop to see if it might be warrantied. I had a Trek Mt Bike that was 15 yrs old. The welds cracked on it and Trek gave me a completely new frame for free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWG818</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents, looking into a new mtn bike. Havent bought a new one for quite a few years, would still be using th e gary fisher, but suspension busted off lol. Looking for a hardtail, front suspension. figured id ask on here to see whats new and what your using. Looking mid range, dont need carbon fiber. There are so many options. 800 price range.

Thoughts opinions ? </div></div>

Gary Fisher Cobia. Right in your price range. Nice middle of the road hardtail with 29" wheels. Riding last years model myself and really like it. Good geometry, good components for the price, all around very pleased with it.

Thanks guys, i did get one used on craigs list. good place to look. Picked up a gary fisher cake 1. not use to full suspension, so trying to get used to it