• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need new muzzle brake for 300 PRC

Cobiwan

Need more time off work and more time on the range
Minuteman
May 5, 2022
Colorado
I've been looking into buying a muzzle brake for my new .300 PRC build coming up. I'm thinking a 5/8-24 thread Area 419 Sidewinder, Fat Bastard Gen 3, or a Cadex Defense MX-1. What's everyone's thoughts? I don't know much about the Cadex other than it looks pretty cool. I'm leaning towards the Fat Bastard Gen 3.

area 419 or fat bastard. Either one is great and self timing. If thoughts of suppressors in the future get the sidewinder because its a great suppressor platform too

Reactions: swampbuck
It's not on your list, but try the JP Recoil Eliminator.

Extra loud for those times when you need louder. Also very good on reducing recoil.

I have the Cadex MX1 on my 300win and it's very effective. There isn't a lot out there on the MX1 but if you like it, you can buy with confidence. I've also used the Heathen brakes and I like them but the MX1 is more effective. The Heathen, and similar brakes are a lot slimmer if that's a concern, but if you don't mind the size go MX1. That being said I havent tried the 5 port heathen(gen1 or 2) on anything magnum, so can only comment on the original 3 and 4 port designs.

Reactions: Cobiwan
I appreciate all the responses. I like hearing what everyone runs and likes best.

I will throw my two cents in, and it is worth two cents. I get good results with my Silencerco ASR2 brakes. These are the kind you set with crush washers to time them. Once you are done, you never have to take them off because Silencerco makes cans that fit right over them. I have 3 of those brakes and when I get around to buying a can, I could move it to whichever rifle I am using at the time. Except for my one non-threaded barrel.

On that non-threaded barrel, I have a clamp-on from Kahntrol Solutions and it works great. Butterfly kisses on your cheek. Shoot 40 rounds on a range day, no sore shoulder, no flinch, good groups. Me likee. But I like learning about and seeing these other systems. Mine are not compensators but they work well and reduce some of the muzzle flip and I am keeping an eye on target better.

But eye on target better is also a result of learning to keep eyes more open on firing, which took a while getting used to.

1. Cadex MX1 is a SEXY looking muzzle brake. It would make every gun I have look "old".

2. You have to log in to get a price? How much is it?

If you don't handload....EC Tuner brake. Good reduction in recoil and you can tune your load. You can get a tapered nut or straight.

Nextgen-Pic-4.jpg

1. Cadex MX1 is a SEXY looking muzzle brake. It would make every gun I have look "old".

2. You have to log in to get a price? How much is it?
I think it's like $225 but not in stock from Cadex website.

I run a 17-18 lb 300 PRC. Last range trip I decided to try out my Omega 300 on it. Two shots was more than enough, it kicked like a mule! I put my normal area 419 sidewinder back on. Recoil is almost nothing, just a lot of noise. I also have a lil bastard on a different rifle, it is a bit more obnoxious in some ways. Full vote for the area 419 for a 300 PRC.

I have a 30 sm using a nomad 30 ti. Shoots great and recoil isn’t bad at all. I can spot my own shots. It weighs under 10lbs with can and optics.

I will throw my two cents in, and it is worth two cents. I get good results with my Silencerco ASR2 brakes. These are the kind you set with crush washers to time them. Once you are done, you never have to take them off because Silencerco makes cans that fit right over them. I have 3 of those brakes and when I get around to buying a can, I could move it to whichever rifle I am using at the time. Except for my one non-threaded barrel.

On that non-threaded barrel, I have a clamp-on from Kahntrol Solutions and it works great. Butterfly kisses on your cheek. Shoot 40 rounds on a range day, no sore shoulder, no flinch, good groups. Me likee. But I like learning about and seeing these other systems. Mine are not compensators but they work well and reduce some of the muzzle flip and I am keeping an eye on target better.

But eye on target better is also a result of learning to keep eyes more open on firing, which took a while getting used to.
I second the Kahntrol clamp on brake. Has held tight for hundreds of rounds. Very good recoil reduction.

Reactions: Ronws
Has anyone compared the Hellfire Match to the Sidewinder on a 300 PRC. I am curious if there is a great difference using the Sidewinder over the HF Match. I currently use the HF mounts for both brakes and suppressors and am also thinking of getting a 300 PRC.

Gen 3 4 port Fat Bastard. I have used the Cadex on .375CT,338LM and 308 Win they are and not the best recoil reduction but I did like the look. I have also used Area 419 brakes as well just got tired of removing the adapter to clean the crown but they did work well and were accurate. I run the Gen 3 APA brakes on my .243,6cm,6.cm. 308,300WM,300NM, and .338LM. Great recoil reduction easy to spin on with no adapter. This is what works for me but the Heathen line are nice brakes also.

Good luck in you search

I've been looking into buying a muzzle brake for my new .300 PRC build coming up. I'm thinking a 5/8-24 thread Area 419 Sidewinder, Fat Bastard Gen 3, or a Cadex Defense MX-1. What's everyone's thoughts? I don't know much about the Cadex other than it looks pretty cool. I'm leaning towards the Fat Bastard Gen 3.
If you would have said Tac Ops I would have sent you a Brake for free as a gift :( What were you thinking ?

Ok ok I'll still send you one for free calm down Johnny..

PM me your number, today was your lucky day :cool:

Mike R.

I tried to call the him but no answer ugh...
Call me 310-275-8797

Mike R.

I run a 17-18 lb 300 PRC. Last range trip I decided to try out my Omega 300 on it. Two shots was more than enough, it kicked like a mule! I put my normal area 419 sidewinder back on. Recoil is almost nothing, just a lot of noise. I also have a lil bastard on a different rifle, it is a bit more obnoxious in some ways. Full vote for the area 419 for a 300 PRC.

On a Ruger RPR in .300 PRC do you think the 419 Sidewinder would be superior to the factory brake?

I'm putting together my first magnum, which will be a 300 PRC as well. I've got a Nomad-L in jail for who knows how long, so in the meantime I'm going to run a APA Fat Bastard 3. I'm somewhat concerned I'm a little recoil shy and this may be too much for me depending on the overall weight I end up with.

On a Ruger RPR in .300 PRC do you think the 419 Sidewinder would be superior to the factory brake?
I do not have experience with that particular break, but more than likely yes. you could also go APA and get some improvement. My rifle barely moves with the area 419. the APA and Area 419 also look better IMO than the ruger brake.

Reactions: NearSighted25
Cadex Mx1 gets my vote, I run 3 of them now up to 33xc and prefer them over the Terminator brakes I have ran on multiple rifles. Less muzzle blast back at shooter laying prone and less ground debris coming back at you. Terminator has been more effective over the APA FB on my rifles.

Reactions: NearSighted25
I was really impressed with the MX1 when I shot a buddy's 338LM ... I usually run 5 ports Insite Arms but I might try a MX1 for my 7-300PRC build.

Energetic Armament makes a hub adapter for tbac mounts. You could run their CB 2 port and mount your can on it. Brake / mount combo on the right in the photo below.

20230126_123049.jpg

Here it is in one of my cans, with the brake screwed in. Adds hardly any length over all to your system.

20230126_123817.jpg

Not the best over all brake no question, but it's a tried and true and one done system.

Has anyone used a Harrell's Precision 4 port tactical break?
I just ordered a tactical break from Harrels.
Great company but with confidence, they originally come with 1/4” counter bore but he’ll open it up to whatever caliber you need. Just post it on the special instructions. I have one of his tuner brakes on a ar. Very nice built piece. He ships fast.

I won't put a brake on that isn't self timing. While a 300 PRC won't get shot as much as smaller calibers, brakes do need to be removed and cleaned or they will fill up with carbon.

I won't put a brake on that isn't self timing. While a 300 PRC won't get shot as much as smaller calibers, brakes do need to be removed and cleaned or they will fill up with carbon.
the only exception for me would be a TacOps brake. and i mean the only

but that also mean's i'd need to order a second one to have his can on the end of at least one

Not really that hard to time a brake.

If you can’t time it by removing material, order some shims, they work well too.

If you can’t time it by removing material, order some shims, they work well too.

No it isn't difficult, but with my Area 419 brakes I can put them on and take them off by hand, no tools needed once you install the adapter mount. They get cleaned every 250-300 rounds.

sure. if you really want to mess with that. but why?

i have too many barrels to fuck with shims every time and why have a brake on ever barrel when i have way more barrels than actions

it helps that the vast majority of brakes are self-timing now especially in the competition sector

I can agree with what you guys are saying. But I don’t look at having a non self timing brake as a handicap. I can time one in less than 10 minutes. And it’s timed no matter how many times I remove it.

I know there are a multitude of answers here. But one more to check out is the Terminator brakes. 🤙🏽

Still waiting for my stock to show up, so I haven’t shot it yet, but my new 7prc barreled action from PVA has their new ultralight shockwave on it. I have used their ultralight jetblast (3 port) and it worked well on a 300wm, I imagine this 4 port shockwave will be even better.
C136BAE9-A5B2-4F79-BD17-F6E48CFBF261.jpeg

Mine arrive with shims. Sure, it is a little time-consuming, like 20 minutes to 30 minutes to do it. Swapping and trying different combinations of shims, a sip of whiskey, a sip of soda. Point being, granted, it is painstakingly tedious. But it ain't too bad for me.

Reactions: Gohring65
I run a super beast on an improved 300 wby 225's at 3115 230 otm's at 3135 (31" tube)

I'd also recommend 3/4-24 for a 30 cal

Last edited:
It's not on your list, but try the JP Recoil Eliminator.

Extra loud for those times when you need louder. Also very good on reducing recoil.
Agree, the JP Recoil Eliminator is the best brake I have used in terms of reducing recoil and eliminating muzzle jump. Kinda cool looking, like an ugly supercar, but also very loud.

Holland Quick Discharge radial (large) is also very effective and not as loud as the JP Recoil Eliminator

Cadex Mx1 gets my vote, I run 3 of them now up to 33xc and prefer them over the Terminator brakes I have ran on multiple rifles. Less muzzle blast back at shooter laying prone and less ground debris coming back at you. Terminator has been more effective over the APA FB on my rifles.
I ended up getting the Cadex MX-1. My buddy bought the same rifle and went with the Area 419 Sidewinder. Looking fwd to testing them both out. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Reactions: st1650