• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need new sliding glass doors. Anything out there that is secure

Sniperwannabee

CWO
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Changes every 4 years
    I tried searching and could not find anything that is halfway tuff or secure, any suggestions, I’m surprised no one makes them with some sort of metal cage so people just can’t break the glass and walk in your house

The 3M film was gonna be one of my suggestions. Note that it just very much keeps the broken glass in one piece, but if the glass is too much of the structure — if the frame flexes too much around it — then once the glass is broken it is still possible to gain entry. Not likely for the typical home burglar but worth keeping in mind if you are going to the effort.

This (and a few other competitors I think) are VERY nice options, that are much sturdier, designed to have much better locking, fold entirely out of the way which can change the entire nature of the room as on nice days or parties or so on you have a giant hole into the house, but... are expensive:

"Sturdy" means they have an out-of-box bear-proof solution for people who build these sorts of windows-everywhere rustic mansions truly out in the woods.

1628423308626.png

"Sturdy" means they have an out-of-box bear-proof solution for people who build these sorts of windows-everywhere rustic mansions truly out in the woods.”

Are people really such gerbils now that the
    Millions to one mere possibility of a bear at
    Your glass door is a marketing feature?

Every ad is now fear-mongering and trying to terrify folks.

“get leaf gutter shield or you will fall off a dangerous ladder and Die!!!” Punctuated by Karen chiding her husband for getting up on dangerous ladders when she told him nit to.

Pest control ads telling Karen’s if they don’t hire Orkin, their children will DIE from exposure to bugs.

Stop this shit…. People are already retarded and timid enough hiding behind their masks and cowing to fear… reinforcing that shit to sell your garbage product that no one needs by creating new phobias and preying on the current American suburbanites utter weakness and feminization… is simply appalling.

Want glass wall in your house? Hell yes! Get one because the view is great and the fresh air makes you strong. Damn right get one.

I want a glass wall to protect me against bears? Who the fuck thinks this way except an emasculated citified shemale who thinks the world is Greenwich Village. With scary bears.

Fuck you companies that are preying on the weak. Just fuck you.

Sirhr

PS. Rant Not aimed at the OP. He had a legit question. Rant aimed at companies that turn their products into solutions for fears they are pushing in order to turn a generation into meek cowards who can be easily led to the slaughter.

Get a hurricane impact sliding glass door with HVHZ rated glass. They are pretty damn tough to break into, as these guys found out...

I would install a brand called ESWindows in the Elite series if you want to get it sometime soon. PGT, CGI, and many other brands are just as good, but the wait times are getting out of control. Lawson is a more affordable option if that is what you are looking for.

"Sturdy" means they have an out-of-box bear-proof solution for people who build these sorts of windows-everywhere rustic mansions truly out in the woods.”

“get leaf gutter shield or you will fall off a dangerous ladder and Die!!!” Punctuated by Karen chiding her husband for getting up on dangerous ladders when she told him nit to.

Pest control ads telling Karen’s if they don’t hire Orkin, their children will DIE from exposure to bugs.

Stop this shit…. People are already retarded and timid enough hiding behind their masks and cowing to fear… reinforcing that shit to sell your garbage product that no one needs by creating new phobias and preying on the current American suburbanites utter weakness and feminization… is simply appalling.

Want glass wall in your house? Hell yes! Get one because the view is great and the fresh air makes you strong. Damn right get one.

I want a glass wall to protect me against bears? Who the fuck thinks this way except an emasculated citified shemale who thinks the world is Greenwich Village. With scary bears.

Sirhr

PS. Rant Not aimed at the OP. He had a legit question. Rant aimed at companies that turn their products into solutions for fears they are pushing in order to turn a generation into meek cowards who can be easily led to the slaughter.

What I find most interesting is that the people posting themselves in fear over a one-in-a-billion risk usually have one or more comorbidities that are almost guaranteed to shorten their lives - fat, drinkers, smokers, etc.

In an attempt to provide a useful contribution to the thread, one may also want to consider a "foot lock" as an inexpensive security improvement:

It's very easy to install when the door goes in and helps to prevent someone from simply bypassing the standard latch. It also allows securing the door in a partially-opened state (such as cracked open for ventilation). And yes, dropping a stick of wood into the door track accomplishes the same task :ROFLMAO:

What I find most interesting is that the people posting themselves in fear over a one-in-a-billion risk usually have one or more comorbidities that are almost guaranteed to shorten their lives - fat, drinkers, smokers, etc.

In an attempt to provide a useful contribution to the thread, one may also want to consider a "foot lock" as an inexpensive security improvement:

It's very easy to install when the door goes in and helps to prevent someone from simply bypassing the standard latch. It also allows securing the door in a partially-opened state (such as cracked open for ventilation). And yes, dropping a stick of wood into the door track accomplishes the same task :ROFLMAO:

The stick is a fantastic security device.

The biggest hurdle to overcome with using it is making sure the moron installing the door gets the correct one.
    Otherwise, they get installed backwards and the stick doesn't work.

And, you can lift the door right out of the tracks...

Reactions: shoobe01
    And, you can lift the door right out of the tracks...
    Happens in about 5 seconds.

I had my house listed on the market on a Friday.
    Came by Saturday morning and seen the whole door leaning against the house.
    I was lucky that nothing was damaged but nonetheless they could have trashed an empty house.

• Wow
    Reactions: tomcatmv
    Get a hurricane impact sliding glass door with HVHZ rated glass. They are pretty damn tough to break into, as these guys found out...

I would install a brand called ESWindows in the Elite series if you want to get it sometime soon. PGT, CGI, and many other brands are just as good, but the wait times are getting out of control. Lawson is a more affordable option if that is what you are looking for.

Do you know how much they go for?

Sirhr

Here is a Grizz that attempted to gain entry in our spare bedroom. Permanently scratched the window surface, luckily the window is about 6' high so he wasnt able to shatter the glass. This is the second time it's happened.... we definitely have to be cognizant of Grizzlies to include securing bbq grill, door and window entries etc.
    Resized_20200814_185149.jpeg

• Wow
    Reactions: shoobe01
    I tried searching and could not find anything that is halfway tuff or secure, any suggestions, I’m surprised no one makes them with some sort of metal cage so people just can’t break the glass and walk in your house
    Search commercial storefront doors , residential stuff is for harry homeowner. I went the route of lease secure doors and windows and used the money I saved on high end weapons and ammo. No sense of having them if your not going to use them for their intended purpose.

Reactions: Aftermath
    Personally, I'd go for a nice set of French doors, they just look nicer.
    You think they would surrender at the first threat.

In many cases on french doors the inactive just has plastic pins that go into the plastic and or wood frame. We ordered our doors from a local shop that has the more secure internal inactive bar that has pins that go into a sleeve in the floor and framing material above. They have the hurricane glass in them also.

Happens in about 5 seconds.

I had my house listed on the market on a Friday.
    Came by Saturday morning and seen the whole door leaning against the house.
    I was lucky that nothing was damaged but nonetheless they could have trashed an empty house.

If the door is adjusted correctly, they shouldn't just lift out. I'm not claiming that sliders are secure; certainly someone could pop mine from the tracks with a prybar if they are determined. And if that is the case, there are also other ways to gain access.

I like the idea of French doors, but the execution in most homes is lacking. @missed appears to have good advice, but the installs I've personally seen in the area would have difficultly withstanding a bump from a well-placed shoulder.

I'd look into other deterrents. Locks and glass keep out the honest, unless you want to live in a prison or spend a fortune. My neighbors all have cameras, I have motion lights. They have some great grainy video of people roaming the neighborhood, then running when my lights come on.

Holy Necro-thread, Akbar!

Not here to shill sliding glass doors are you?

Nah... maybe to get help with your spelling?

Sirhr
    And he's from Austin, LOL.

Welcome to the Hide. Cultivate a thick skin.

Who's got the pic of the claymore duct-taped to the center of the sliding-glass-door, wired to the foil-tape running around the sill?