• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need opinion on a OCW load

crowsniper1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2003
ky.
OCW test link to pic
I shot some test loads yesterday to try out the OCW method and heres the results,tell me which load area you would go with. I shot these at 210 yards just to see how my gun liked them. Temperature was around 85 and mirage was pretty bad. I only loaded up two bullets for two shot strings just to get an idea if further testing was needed. Didnt have my chrony with me so i will take it when i go back and shoot some 5 shot groups. I see a low and high node but im not sure if the high node is too hot.
Here are the details on my equipment.
Remington 700 tactical .223 20" / B&C stock - recoil lug bedded -45 in.lb. on action screws.
Leupold Mark 4 6-20X50 -TPS 30mm rings- warne 20 MOA base
Hornady BTHP 75 grain bullets
Varget powder Tested at 22.6 - 25 grains
Winchester brass
CCI primers
OAL 2.275
9434203076_3f36489068_b.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to tell with only 2 shots but if I had to choose I'd be looking at the 24.4-25gr loads. The poi/group center is the closest of your test. Those loads should be ok in your bolt gun. I'm running 24.5gr w/75 bthp in my AR. Did you have any signs of pressure?

2 shot groups really don't give us much to go on but your gun seems to like the warmer loads. Did you get any pressure signs on your brass?

No marks at all on the base of my brass and the primers looked the same from low to high so im guessing pressure is ok,i really want to shoot over my chrony ,very curious about the velocity.