• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need opinions for savage build

6.5labs

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2014
Hi guys i am new here but looks like a great place to learn some new info. I have a savage 111 with a shillen varmint contour barrel chambered in 6.5 2x284. The stock is a b and c metalist. They do not make that stock for a long action so i reiletted it for the L A. The scope is a vortex pst 6.5-24. I love the rifle it is a tack driver. But my intended use is a long range hunting rifle that is a blast to shoot at the range. My only complaint is that it is heavy(aprox 15 lbs) to carry on a hunt. The barrel is 26 inches i have thought of cutting it to 22in or i can buy a 24in light varmint for about 350ish. What do you guys think? Cut it? New barrel? Or shut up and deal with it?

I run a medium palma contour on my comp rifle. Shaves about a pound, maybe a little more, but it also shifts the weight back towards the action so it's not so front heavy. Makes it seem a lot lighter than just the weight reduction plus you keep the barrel length for velocity gains. I had planned on going 21"-22" when I did my first one but with this contour I keep them at 25" and it's much nicer than your regular varmint barrel.

Take a look at the GAP Xtreme Hunter. It's a dedicated long range rig designed around hunting. That should give you some ideas. Your BC Medalist stock is not the lightest thing in the world either. I have a Stockade Prairie Dog Special on a Savage and the stock is pretty light, like 2.5 lbs or less with DBM I think.

You could also cut some off your barrel but I don't think you gonna save as much as you think. Some of the barrel manufacturers have programs that calculate barrel weight. Should give you an idea of how much you would save. I'm thinking maybe Kreiger and Rock have those calcs.

Those B&C medalist stocks are heavy. Even after cutting down or swapping out the barrel it's still going to be a heavy rifle to take on a hunt.

For ~$350ish i would just pick up a second rifle as a cheap hunting rifle and leave this one as your range toy. You can pick up a Savage Axis or Ruger American for less then buying a new barrel.

Hey thanks for the input guys. I dont want to get another rifle because it will end up costing me 1k because i cant leave any rifle alone.lol. there is always decisions to be made and usually they cost a lot of money. Thanks again guys.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2