• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need opinions on Colt pistols Python vs. Anaconda

Jackal66

Everything is biodegradable if you run over it en.
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2023
Arkansas
My Son is looking for a new revolver.
I have a .44 mag and a couple of .357 magnums.
He likes the .44 mag size, but we keep hearing how the colt Python is so smooth and better shooting.
Can some of you that have owned or shot both, give us your pros and cons?
I've told him to try a Super Redhawk, but he is just drawn to the Colt brand.
Thanks

I don’t have colts, but I have a S&W 629 (6.5” full-underlug) & 686 (6” full-underlug) that are nearly identical. I love the .44 Mag, but my absolute favorite [centerfire] handgun to shoot is my 6” full-underlug 686 .357 Mag with my 140 FTX handloads. It’s just ridiculously smooth. 👌🏼

Have 8” anaconda 6” python and 6” king cobra. All three are over 25 years old but original owner. The king cobra is surprisingly similar to the other two but the python and anaconda imo are the same other then there physical size and caliber. Nothing better than the snake guns imo so his decision is just based on caliber if he wants the best. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.
We have a 686 S&W and it is very nice.
My Dan Wesson is ball bearing smooth.
It has a 8-1/2"???? heavy underlug barrel.
I always liked the Ruger style pistols, Blackhawk and Redhawk.

I think the luxury look of the Colts have him hooked ( It's not bad😁).
The King Cobra is one we never hear about or see anywhere.

When the weather breaks we're going to the local gun shop and look around.

I'll show him this thread.
Keep the info coming.
Thanks again

I’m going to broken record here 🥴

What are your son’s plans for the pistol? Hunting, woods knock about, Silhouette, regular loads, Heavy Magnum loads (CorBon/Buffalo Bore)?
Each brand/Model fills a niche especially with the sub variations.

I have a Smith 6-29 and a Ruger Blackhawk and they do different things well.

Reactions: Jackal66
He will probably just target shoot, and carry it in a shoulder holster when deer hunting.
No heavy loads.

Reactions: Modoc
I’m going to broken record here 🥴

What are your son’s plans for the pistol? Hunting, woods knock about, Silhouette, regular loads, Heavy Magnum loads (CorBon/Buffalo Bore)?
Each brand/Model fills a niche especially with the sub variations.

I have a Smith 6-29 and a Ruger Blackhawk and they do different things well.
We've looked at some used Taurus pistols for him to carry in the woods for a beater/ work gun.

I have an old Python, a new Python and a new Anaconda. He can’t go wrong with any of them. The old Python is smoother than the newer version. They are both box stock. The Anaconda is as good or better than my S&W Performance Center 629, which is compensated.

I have an old Python, a new Python and a new Anaconda. He can’t go wrong with any of them. The old Python is smoother than the newer version. They are both box stock. The Anaconda is as good or better than my S&W Performance Center 629, which is compensated.
What is the barrel length on your Anaconda?
He's unsure about the 6" or 8".
I prefer 8" in a .44 mag pistol.
Also, a shoulder holster instead of a hip holster .

I recently sold a 1960-something Python. For $2500. The old ones are spendy. Shot an Anaconda recently, it was a bit much with stock grips.

Old Colt Pythons command a collectors premium and may hold value better. May.

I sold mine because we were having our first and I decided I wasn’t going to be the curator of a museum nobody visits, and I never shot it because I was afraid of harming its value since it was so “cherry”. It was a fine beautiful gun though, very smooth.

From Wikipedia:

The Colt Python is intended for the premium revolvermarket segment. Official Colt historian R.L. Wilson described the Colt Python as "the Rolls-Royce of Colt revolvers",[4] and firearms historian Ian V. Hoggreferred to it as the "best revolver in the world".[5]Some firearm collectors and writers such as Jeff Cooper and Ian V. Hogg have described the Python as "the finest production revolver ever made".[1][2][6][4][7][8][5]

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc and Jackal66
I recently dry fired a new Python and it was nothing like the old ones. Disappointed. My Smith 586 is much better.

No surprise there.

The old rumor was that you had to have worked at Colt for many years before you were allowed to assemble pythons. They were essentially custom-production guns

As a Colt fanboy with 4 NFA MGs and tons of other Colt stuff (mostly vintage) I worry that Colt has strayed far from its longtime mantra “quality makes it a Colt”

You can almost get a .44 S&W and a .357 S&W for what you would pay for the Colt. S&W make very fine revolvers IMO. If it is just that he wants to own a colt go for it. I find .357 much more enjoyable to shoot.

If he wants to plink, 44 Special is awfully expensive--when you can find it.

We reload .44 special, .44 mag, .38 spc, .357 mag, etc.
We definitely want to feel the gun before buying.
I see them listed online, but from what I've heard from you guys, a pistol this nice &$$$$ need to be seen in person before purchase.
Thanks for all the info
I'll update later with what he ends up with.

I've never finger banged one, but I heard the new ones are crap.
I've finger banged both, own an Anaconda, and theyre both sweet. The action is a bit lighter (not smoother) on the Python but thats somewhat to be expected with a 44 magnum. Its a handful but at the end of the day I always have a little wood :whistle: .

No surprise there.

The old rumor was that you had to have worked at Colt for many years before you were allowed to assemble pythons. They were essentially custom-production guns

As a Colt fanboy with 4 NFA MGs and tons of other Colt stuff (mostly vintage) I worry that Colt has strayed far from its longtime mantra “quality makes it a Colt”
The snek guns havent missed a beat. Quality through and through. Now if they'd just up their rifles. I have a couple of the older jeweled bolt stainless ones and they are excellent.

Since we're resurrecting, and I didn't see a final OP update, are we talking "old school" or 2020 and newer?

I have the old school Python, Anaconda, King Cobra and Diamondback. The Python in this instance is far superior in how smooth it operates, but shootability is equal. None are trash, but if you're a S&W guy the way the hammer and trigger stack feel different.

I've handled several new CZ Colts. I must admit, the new Anacondas that I've finger-f'ed all had lockup tighter than my original. I actually handled them thinking it would satisfy my curiosity and I'd be able to shun them appropriately, but it actually had the opposite effect and I almost (almost) bought one for my 44th BD.

I have a 1979 Python and a 1996 Kodiak, which is a Colt Custom Shop Anaconda. The Kodiak has had a trigger job and is smooth as butter and a tac driver. The Python is stock and also very smooth with a great trigger.

IMG_4674 6.41.39 PM.jpg
IMG_3274.jpeg

The snek guns havent missed a beat. Quality through and through. Now if they'd just up their rifles. I have a couple of the older jeweled bolt stainless ones and they are excellent.
what is a "snek" gun?

Since we're resurrecting, and I didn't see a final OP update, are we talking "old school" or 2020 and newer?

I have the old school Python, Anaconda, King Cobra and Diamondback. The Python in this instance is far superior in how smooth it operates, but shootability is equal. None are trash, but if you're a S&W guy the way the hammer and trigger stack feel different.

I've handled several new CZ Colts. I must admit, the new Anacondas that I've finger-f'ed all had lockup tighter than my original. I actually handled them thinking it would satisfy my curiosity and I'd be able to shun them appropriately, but it actually had the opposite effect and I almost (almost) bought one for my 44th BD.
If you'd quit fucking around and swing over toward scenic Lawton we could take mine out to the range. I'd love to ask you some questions about Oklahoma history anyway.

On tat note, how much was the trigger job on the Kodiak? Mine is nice but it could certainly be improved.

I cant speak for the old Anaconda but the new Python's are as smooth as my old circa 86 one and that was smooth. Top strap seems to be stronger. I like the SS on the new ones as well.

If you'd quit fucking around and swing over toward scenic Lawton we could take mine out to the range. I'd love to ask you some questions about Oklahoma history anyway.

On tat note, how much was the trigger job on the Kodiak? Mine is nice but it could certainly be improved.

I cant speak for the old Anaconda but the new Python's are as smooth as my old circa 86 one and that was smooth. Top strap seems to be stronger. I like the SS on the new ones as well.
Agree on the new Python quality, not sure where all the "the older ones are better" comes from. I had an early 90s Python and it was nice, but nothing spectacular. My 686 that I bought around the same time had a nicer trigger, and I still have that gun. I bought a new Python last year and am very happy with the quality. I'd say it's superior to the one I had 30+ years ago.

I keep hearing people say the older ones were a lot better.
We haven't seen any in person to look at.
We did look at a local Anaconda and it is SWEET!!!
A couple of local guys we know are going to go out shooting with us , and bring their Colts.
Thanks for all the info

Ask them how they are better. A lot of this is just people repeating internet lore. Manufacturing techniques and precision are a hell of a lot better now than 30+ years ago. The main complaint I've read about on the new Pythons is the trigger could use a little work. I find the one on mine to be damn good. And I can always send it out to have it reworked if I want. I see no point in spending $1000+ more for an older one just for nostalgia and maybe a slightly better trigger (maybe). But it ain't my money, spend it how you want.

Ask them how they are better. A lot of this is just people repeating internet lore. Manufacturing techniques and precision are a hell of a lot better now than 30+ years ago. The main complaint I've read about on the new Pythons is the trigger could use a little work. I find the one on mine to be damn good. And I can always send it out to have it reworked if I want. I see no point in spending $1000+ more for an older one just for nostalgia and maybe a slightly better trigger (maybe). But it ain't my money, spend it how you want.
I think it's the legend/ folklore of it.
Similar to guitars.
I bought a new Fender Stratocaster back in 1994. It was made in Mexico .
It took me probably an hour in the store picking out the one I wanted .
Felt and sounded great.
Some of the guys were giving me hell about it.
I didn't care.
There was an old man where we played music that wanted to look at it.
After about 10 minutes he said it was better than the new Strat he had back in 1957.
Those old Strats go for a LOT of money.
He said the wood was better back then , because they didn't rape the forest for everything.
But, the finish, the CNC routing and wood working was a lot smoother.
The metal parts were better.
According to him those old guitars had a rough finish with laquer, and the insides looked like a beaver chewed on it.
He said the age of the electronics and capacitors made a difference in the sound.

I think compared to other pistols around the same time when the Python came out, it was fantastic.
The extra cost and fitting made the difference.
Now modern machines make the first one off of the assembly line feel just like the last one.
Maybe some minor differences.
It's the same with these pistols. Unless there is a great difference, I'll go with the newer one.
Price wise, I wouldn't shoot an older one and it would be a safe-queen.
The same way I'm playing a $350 guitar.
Let the rock stars have those $60k+ instruments.

It all depends on what he is seeking.

For beauty and wow, go Old Python.

For quality, mechanical reliability over a lifetime of hard use go old Smith.

For "just to say you have one" any modern one will do.

When the wheel gun was king, few to none of the big name shooters used anything except S&W. A friend actually visited with Ed Mc Givern long ago. Ed told him, "Colt will give me all the revolvers I want, I buy S&W. Jorden, Keith, Askins etc all used S&W. Many unknown but great pistol shooters did the same.

Reactions: JFR
Most of my revolvers are S&W, only fired one Python it was a older version and the trigger was smooth all the way through break. I have no idea if had been worked or if it was stock trigger. But it was no better than my S&W that has had some trigger work.

IMHO, if you are buying it for your son, be a hero and get him the Colt. He'll cherish it. If he is buying it, then there less expensive option with a S&W that will serve him well.

I like my Dan Wesson more than any Colt I've shot.

The fact that Colt actively hates their customers has made sure I've never looked at them too hard though.

I like my Dan Wesson more than any Colt I've shot.

The fact that Colt actively hates their customers has made sure I've never looked at them too hard though.
Colt does hate their customers, but it’s just something you deal with to own that rampant Colt.

I only started buying revolvers 4 years ago.

My first revolver was a 1977 6" Royal Blue Colt Python.
It is in impeccable condition with no turn ring so I don't shoot it all that much.
It is very smooth with a D/A pull weight of 9lb 5oz and a single action pull weight of 3lbs flat.

My second was a Ruger GP100 Match Champion.
It has an amazingly ergonomic wood grip.
The D/A pull weight is over the 12lb limit of my trigger pull gauge but it isn't objectionable.
The S/A pull weight is 3lb 12oz

I then bought a 6" Dan Wesson 744VH in 44 Magnum.
It has a heavy underlug and has a replaceable barrel.
There are kits that have 4", 6", and 8" barrels.
This has a S/A pull weight of exactly 8lbs and a D/A pull weight of exactly 3lbs.
It has the smoothest trigger pull of any revolver I've ever fired.

My only S&W revolver is a 460V with a 5" barrel.
I really wanted the 8-3/8 version but I couldn't find one in Canada before the handgun ban came into effect.
This and my Magnum Research BFR are not what your son is looking for.

If he can find a Dan Wesson with a trigger anywhere as good as mine I would go with that.
IMG_6391.jpeg