• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need opinions on first rifle Have it narrowed down

Wilkinkc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
For a first rifle which of the following would be your selection & why! This will be my first long range rifle and want to make a smart choice. Any and all input is appreciated.

ALL IN .308

- Remington 700 5R
- Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
- Remington 700 SPS Police (LTR)
- Remington 700 XCR Tactical LR

Non Remington in consideration is a:
- FN SPR (I know its a lot more but comes with a nice stock etc to begin with)

I plan on modding which ever rifle I end up with so keep that in mind.

A few questions I'm not really finding answers to are as follows. I hate being "that guy" but believe me I've done some research and still have these questions.

1. What are some of the better sites to order from as far as Stocks, Mounts, optics Etc. (May EE the Optics depending what is available at the time)
2. I'm guessing different mounts are for different scope lengths?
3. Can I flute the barrel on a Acc-sd since it is threaded?
4. What does fluting the barrel do & should I on a 20'' barrel?
5. Would a barrel break be a waste of money on a 20'' barrel? Can this be done if it is fluted? A break is for to reduce kick correct?
6. I see a lot of actions that have wavey lines in them (bolt), what is this and what does it do?
7. What is bedding and what does it do?

Re: Need opinions on first rifle Have it narrowed down

I was in your position about +/-1.5 yrs ago. I chose the 5R because:
- reputation for being accurate out of the box
- 5R rifling and +/- 1:11.2 rifling were meant to work well with 175 SMK round
- supposedly easy to load for using Varget and SMK 175s
- stainless steel barrel/action as I was told it was easier to clean (this certainly seems to be the case relatively to my Tikka T3 which was a nightmare to clean until after +300 rounds)
- HS Precision stock was known to be good/rigid out of the box
- plentiful upgrades for Rem 700 platform

Have to say I am glad I bought the 5R. Have eventually put a bolt handle, DBM, and stock upgrades and they were easy...

SG

Many parts available for the 700. I would go 5r. With a 308 I don't see a need for a break, but yes, it is to reduce recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilkinkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few questions I'm not really finding answers to are as follows. I hate being "that guy" but believe me I've done some research and still have these questions.</div></div>

Call me crazy, but I dont believe that you have done any research (on this site, anyways) and still have those questions.

try searching here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilkinkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few questions I'm not really finding answers to are as follows. I hate being "that guy" but believe me I've done some research and still have these questions.</div></div>

Call me crazy, but I dont believe that you have done any research (on this site, anyways) and still have those questions.

try searching here </div></div>

Link must be broken. No I haven't been on this site as much as others yet but I'll figure my questions out. Thanks.

Brother, I have no problem helping newbies out, in fact...I enjoy it. You've done NO research. Come back with questions after you've read here for a week or two.

okie

The link wasnt broken when I tried but if it was you can also try the advanced search in google and set the only domain to SH. Basically the same thing just different routes. Once you do that be sure you have several free hours cause there is a ton of info on those subjects on here and other sites as well. Good luck

If I could go back and do it over I would have got the 5R over the AAC-SD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brother, I have no problem helping newbies out, in fact...I enjoy it. You've done NO research. Come back with questions after you've read here for a week or two.

okie
</div></div>

+1

This question is asked almost weekly and there's a ton of info on every rifle mentioned. The OP needs to do a little work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brother, I have no problem helping newbies out, in fact...I enjoy it. You've done NO research. Come back with questions after you've read here for a week or two.

okie
</div></div>

+1

This question is asked almost weekly and there's a ton of info on every rifle mentioned. The OP needs to do a little work. </div></div>

I'm guessing you don't even know what op stands for because your sentence makes no sense "bra". I dont claim to know anything about these rifles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You say you would do the 5r over the acc if you could do it over again, is this because you really don't need a break on a 20", or is there another reason?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilkinkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm guessing you don't even know what op stands for because your sentence makes no sense "bra". I dont claim to know anything about these rifles. </div></div>

Uhm... this isn't a board about a video game, in real life OP means "Original Poster" who is you.... There is someone that doesn't know what OP stands for in this conversation, but it isn't who you originally thought.

You should probably keep the snide remarks to a minimum when asking noobish questions on a precision rifle forum. Keep in mind many of the people with the experience to answer your questions are "professionals" and don't take kindly to snide comments on the backside of pleas for help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IndySSD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilkinkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm guessing you don't even know what op stands for because your sentence makes no sense "bra". I dont claim to know anything about these rifles. </div></div>

Uhm... this isn't a board about a video game, in real life OP means "Original Poster" who is you.... There is someone that doesn't know what OP stands for in this conversation, but it isn't who you originally thought.

You should probably keep the snide remarks to a minimum when asking noobish questions on a precision rifle forum. Keep in mind many of the people with the experience to answer your questions are "professionals" and don't take kindly to snide comments on the backside of pleas for help.

</div></div>

OP = original poser in my experience. Thought I had a shot taken at me I apologize. New to forums. Don't know all the slang.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilkinkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a first rifle which of the following would be your selection & why! This will be my first long range rifle and want to make a smart choice. Any and all input is appreciated.

ALL IN .308

- Remington 700 5R
- Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
- Remington 700 SPS Police (LTR)
- Remington 700 XCR Tactical LR

Non Remington in consideration is a:
- FN SPR (I know its a lot more but comes with a nice stock etc to begin with)

I plan on modding which ever rifle I end up with so keep that in mind.

A few questions I'm not really finding answers to are as follows. I hate being "that guy" but believe me I've done some research and still have these questions.

1. What are some of the better sites to order from as far as Stocks, Mounts, optics Etc. (May EE the Optics depending what is available at the time)
2. I'm guessing different mounts are for different scope lengths?
3. Can I flute the barrel on a Acc-sd since it is threaded?
4. What does fluting the barrel do & should I on a 20'' barrel?
5. Would a barrel break be a waste of money on a 20'' barrel? Can this be done if it is fluted? A break is for to reduce kick correct?
6. I see a lot of actions that have wavey lines in them (bolt), what is this and what does it do?
7. What is bedding and what does it do?

</div></div>

Here are the questions answered in order, but you will find the snipershide search engine a VERY useful tool. I use it almost every day. You will find this website to be full of information that isnt just a bunch of jackasses rambling. This is one of the few forums that exist that the guys have real world experience and dont just go for what the marketing execs from the companies tell them to go for.
Search. Read. Learn. Repeat.

1.For general shooting supplies, look to some of the 'hide vendors. Midwayusa.com, SWFA.com for optics, brownells, etc. There are tons of vendors, all very supportive of the members here.

2.Scope mounts consist of (for what you are looking for) a single piece base, picatinny type rings that fit your scope tube size (30m, 34mm, 1 inch, etc.), and the hardware to mount it correctly. Head over to the optics section and read the stickies they have posted. Will answer just about anything you need to know.

3. Technically, you can flute just about any barrel. The issue is not "can" you but "why" you flute it. Typically, most people if they are going to pay to have their barrel removed from the action and the gunsmith rechamber it, they upgrade to a custom barrel. Then the choice is yours if you want to flute it. For now, worry about shooting and spend that money on ammo and optics.

4.There are arguments that fluting the barrel can help cool the barrel because of the added surface area. Most do it for the cosmetic effect. I will agree, it looks very nice on some of the rifles. BUT NOT NECESSARY

5. I believe what you are asking about is a muzzle BRAKE. A muzzle break is a great option down the road for some of the larger magnum calibers, but not necessary for a .308. The .308 is a very solid, yet mild round. Starting off with a break will most likely nurture bad technique when shooting. Learn to be stable behind the rifle, learn proper form. Best thing you can do.

6. Again, this is called fluting on the bolt. Some people say is offers dirt a place to move to when the bolt is cycled if it is in dusty or sandy conditions. Most people like the look, and dont really think about the functionality of it, because honestly there isnt a whole lot. And again, i think it looks pretty nice on rifles as well. You can have your bolt fluted, but its a very inefficient way to spend funds, especially when starting off.

7. Bedding is the process of creating a solid and trued "bed" for the action to sit in, with the main goal of reducing all (in a perfect world) stress on the action. After reading on here for a while, you will soon learn how the smallest variances or tiny discrepancies in any part size or pressure on the action can have VERY big effects. This is done for performance and can be done in the garage with a little know how and patience. Read up in the stickies posted in the gunsmithing section of the 'hide.

Right now, your best option is to acquire a remington 700 with a heavy barrel contour from the factory. All of the rifles you listed will adequately get you started in shooting. Some will come with more bells and whistles than others, but in the beginning, you most likely wont need them. I know i started off with a remington 700 ADL (dicks sporting goods special for $359.99) and it has suited me well. Also keep in mind that money not spent on getting the most badass factory remington, can buy tons of ammo and a nice optics package (scope, rings, bases, etc).

This is just my two cents, but you get what you asked for.
Hope this helps you in your endeavor to begin precision shooting, and please do not take any of this as me being an ass. BUT, members here are a lot more receptive to people who are willing to take the time and learn for themselves and then ask the hard questions. In no way am I an expert, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Goodluck,
T. McGinnis

I appreciate the input and advice greatly. I have spent a few hours tonight reading reading and reading. Had most of the questions answered by google searching them specifically. Sorry for ask questions I'm sure that have been asked a million times. Just got lazy after comparing rifles and calibers.

Think I am going to go with a Remington 700 5R .308 factory threaded incase I ever want threads for future use. Plan to add custom stock, true action, bed stock, trigger job (2-4 lbs if neccessary havent researched that part yet), add detachable mag to begin with. This is all after rifle and optics have been purchased of course.

One question I did have that I am not finding an answer for, only opinions and maybe that is all it can be answered with but, can you/would it be worth it to crown a threaded barrel?

Plenty of info here if you take the time to read, as it seems you have done. I was not intending to be an ass on my earlier post, just trying to steer you the right direction.

You probably cannot find an answer on the crown issue because it is not really a valid question. Whatever rifle you buy will be "crowned", it is the finish cut on the muzzle of the barrel. Some are better than others from the factory. It should be a clean cut, free of nicks or scratches, but some need to be cleaned up.

Also, there is no need to true the action on a 5R out of the box. Wait until you switch the barrel out....my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy the addiction!!

That Remmy 5r's a good choice brother and will out shoot almost all shooters. Put a few hundred rounds through it and make sure what you want more out of it (if anything) before you spend a dime. I'll promise you...the crown will NOT be a problem.

okie

ps. BTW, good post TMG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plenty of info here if you take the time to read, as it seems you have done. I was not intending to be an ass on my earlier post, just trying to steer you the right direction.

You probably cannot find an answer on the crown issue because it is not really a valid question. Whatever rifle you buy will be "crowned", it is the finish cut on the muzzle of the barrel. Some are better than others from the factory. It should be a clean cut, free of nicks or scratches, but some need to be cleaned up.

Also, there is no need to true the action on a 5R out of the box. Wait until you switch the barrel out....my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy the addiction!! </div></div>

Oh no hard feelings. I tool what you were trying to say entirely the wrong way I apologize. I learned alot by reading like you guys told me to.

Gonna go look at rifles tomorrow. Very excited to get one haha. Found a range around here that goes to 650 yards probably going to be where I spend my days off for awhile after I get my rifle haha.

Think I'll get into reloading eventually. Think that would be fun as well as beneficial.

I'd go with the 700 xct tactical long range, I chose it for my first LR rig and it has surpassed all of my expectations of a factory rifle.

I'd get an SPS Varmint. Its cheapest. If its your first rifle, you're going to develop as a shooter and may end up not liking a stock or barrel length, etc of one of the other models. No point in paying extra money for a stock you won't like. You may pay extra for the H-S Precision of a 700P, and find you prefer a Manners, McMillan A5, or Bell and Carlson.

If you're considering the FN SPR - get it! Not that there is anything wrong with the Remington, they are good rifles, but the FN is really in a different category. It is a much "finer" rifle, and as you stated, already comes in a quality McMillan stock, which you won't be inclined to upgrade.

Just run the action on a 700, then an SPR! The SPR locks up like a bank vault. There are many other features/attributes with the FN - how about a lifetime warranty that extends to WHOMEVER owns the rifle, not just the original owner? You'll find that FN's have a better resale value as well.

In my opinion, the only reason NOT to get the FN is if it will stop you from being able to afford a good optics package and ammo. If you can afford the FN, get it!

I've been calling around trying to find a 5r. Everyone is sold out and can't get one that I've contacted so far. Still a few to call. Could probably settle for xcr tact or Acc-sd though if I don't have any luck on the 5r

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilkinkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been calling around trying to find a 5r. Everyone is sold out and can't get one that I've contacted so far. Still a few to call. Could probably settle for xcr tact or Acc-sd though if I don't have any luck on the 5r </div></div>

Don't settle. Be patient and get the rifle that speaks to you...and I don't mean the one that says "I'm the only one available"