• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need opinions on for new scope for my 22

ltfirehunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2008
Rock Spring Georgia
Well my B&L 6x18 finally crapped out and give up the ghost after 10 yrs or so of good service. So I gotta replace it.
I'm just gonna put an inexpensive scope on for right now so I can save up for a really good one.
I was thinking about along the lines of the BSA sweet 22 series in 6-18, or something along that line.
Would like to hear what some of ya'll are using and your thoughts on the matter.
Going on a Rem 541T HB

Lt.

Re: Need opinions on for new scope for my 22

I have the BSA Sweet .22 on my Savage MKII. It's okay I guess for a .22.

Things I like: Cheap price and the BDC is cool. 6-18 is nice.

Things I don't like: Really poor light gathering. No mil-dot...so not very useful in ranging randomly placed targets from 50 - 150 yds.

FWIW, I'm probably getting rid of mine and replacing it with a Super Sniper.

I have here lately been using it lately to shoot small bore prone F/class with, so the magnification is a must.
I had peeked at the 8-32 Mueller and seems pretty nice.
I cut the barrel to 20in. so I can squirrel hunt with.

+1 on the little Tasco. I've got one my CZ and another on one of my 10/22's. Mildot, target turrets, and adj. AO. If you're interested I'm considering selling one (it's a little too much magnification for what I use one of the rifles for).

I'm about to get a Millett 4x16 for mine. I've got some of their other glass on my rifles and they work well for me. It doesn't quite match up to my Burris XTR's or Leupy Mk4's, but at 1/2 the cost I can deal with it. Besides, I don't plan on shooting my .22 in low/ no light so it's good to go. Just my $.02

I've found that not using a scope is an advantage. You can just look down the side of the barrel. You can see the wind flags better. I hope this helps.

Eddie

Go with the SS and save $100 bucks by not buying 1 scope now and the SS later. Just be patient and save a bit more. I have the 10X SS on my MarkII and I have been cleaning up the local .22 matches since I started them. Patience is a good thing Americans have forgotten about.

the bsa is going to bite you. i was stupid enough to buy three, replace two and mailed the third one out just this weekend for replacement. had them on a .223 and the last one on a 22lr. they are ok for 2-3 years if that then all hell breaks loose. save your money or i'll sell you my new one (8-32x platinum) when it comes back for $75

replaced it with a simmons 6-24 prohunter with mildots and sf. so far pretty satisfied, 139.00 at natchez. they seem to have good $ on everything.

if your looking for a cheap temporary scope, go to walmart, buy a 4-16 centerpoint. ill. mildot and turrets $69.00, buy a set a rings as the ones that come with it are junk. scope has been good to me with lots of shooting and mucho squirrel hunting over the last few years.

TP thanks,
Natchez want sale to people within a certain area, and I just so happen to be in it. Mainly TN,GA, I think it's due to they supply to most of the local dealers and such.
So our local dealers just double the price when they get it.
I think I'm really just going to bide my time and pay a little more for a descent scope.
I still will be listening to ya'll tips .

i do hear alot of good things about that tasco varmint mentioned earlier by greg l. and i've never had a tasco go bad on me, i've also had some barskas, however it seems it's a 50/50 shot you'll get a good one. i'm presently saving up for a nikon buckmaster 4-18x with mildots, and not going to look back on the cheaper stuff. looked through em seems really nice for $350.00 or less if you catch a sale. i'm so much fun messing with the rimfires now that the rifle and i deserve decent glass.

depends on the options you want or need, and how much you have to spend. any of the scopes mentioned by everyone here are pretty good for the $. but if you can wait, the better bushnell elites and nikons seem to have many creature comforts for a reasonable price, with warranties, service, and reputations to back them up.

The biggest thing I'm lookin at is magnification, durability, and good tracking.
I'm really smokin over the Super sniper and the Burris 6-18.

I crank on my rimfire turrets more than I do on any of my other scopes. I've never owned a USO or S&B, but have some high end Leupys, Bushnells, Nikons, etc. For great tracking and repeatability, decent glass and a good price, I think Weavers are hard to beat.

I think a V16 is great on a .22.

I bought the Tasco 6-24 Varmint w/mildot. Tracked and was repeatable but glass is crap, anything over 14x just made me mad looking through it. Ended up buying a Burris Tactical FF2 6-20 and is super clear at all magnifications, Its a 900.00 scope but I got it for under 300.00 Only drawback is it has less elevation adjustment than the Tasco but will get out to 300 yds with the Burris ring inserts

1000261edited1.jpg

I must have had better success with my 4 Tasco MilDot 6-24's and the 2.5-10 has gotten a lot of good comments.

One of them is on my 1Kyd F Class .260 Custom, as a sort of acid test, and I find that 18x is usable in the mirage, and may get away with a slight up bump when conditions approach ideal. At 200yd, it's fine all the way up to 24X for me. It;s a very good complement to my accurized 10/22, another's on my .22LR Savage MKII practice gun, and the last one just gut transferred from my lightweight W70 .30-'06 hunter to my budding but old .222 R700 BDL varmint gun that I'm having a friend play with to get it ready for FV200.

I expect failures, have been expecting them for going on 4 years, but so far, I'm still waiting.

Greg