• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

need opinions on vintage rifle match

mtlucas0311

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2011
suburban Detroit
My shooting club held a Garand/Springfield match today, after all was cleaned up we were having lunch at the clubhouse and the popularity of the CMP games came up, especially how successful all the "different" matches have become; M1 carbine match, Springfield/Garand match, vintage sniper rifle match, etc. One of the guys who put on and ran the match mentioned a shoot that he participated in years ago and how much fun it was. They held the match in January (we usually have a couple feet of snow and temps in the teens then) and called it the "Stalingrad Match", it was like an ITT match with vintage rifles in the snow. Our range is nice for this type of match since we have a range building (heated) right on the 200 yard line to retreat to, so you would be able to shoot the 200, get up, move to the 150 and shoot, get up and move to the 100 and shoot....so on and so on. They used "hit or miss" silhouette targets (like a USMC dog or b-mod target) and controlled difficulty by decreasing time at each line, 90 seconds to load and fire at the 200, 60 seconds at the 150, 30 at the 100; most hits at the end wins. They limited rifles to Moisins and 8mm Mausers. I thought the idea sounded awesome and a ton of fun, especially in the winter when we get hosed by the lack of outdoor rifle shooting. It also seemed like a great way to use all these old war rifles that aren't really match grade in the environment they were intended.

So what do you guys think? Would anybody out there be excited to shoot this type of match? Indifferent? Uninterested? Our club is pretty open to hosting any event that will have a decent turn out, but I was curious if I'm in the minority. I doubt we could supply ammo like we do for the Garand Springfield match, but I would imagine it would be priced accordingly (we got $30 for the match today and it included 56 rounds of HXP). If it was well received, the opportunities are limitless, Battle of the Bulge match for example, Garands and Enfields v. 8mm Mausers; Russian-Finnish Winterwar, 6.5 Swedes v. Moiins...all in the cold and snow, just like the actual battles.

Re: need opinions on vintage rifle match

I agree, I think it would be fun, and interesting. I'm talking up the same thing at our club.

A winter shoot would certainly seperate the men from the boys, but I think after it got started, it would certainly catch on.

Keep us informed on how it works out.