• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need opinions on which glock to purchase G23-G36

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello, I'm buying a Glock for CCW and am not sure which one would suit me best. I've read good reviews about the G23 in .40 but I was at the dealer and was checking out a G36 45ACP and I liked it as well. Just trying to get some opinions on people with some experience with either. Thanks for any responses

Alan

Re: Need opinions on which glock to purchase G23-G36

I am not a fan of the 45 acp, as the extra recoil i have a hard time with follow on shots... that said, more range time and i could get it down... i also dont reload 45 anymore. i think the 23 would suit you very well, and ammo is still a bit cheaper...

a differant look at this would be what does your local police department carry... if 45 go 45... if 40 go 40... and if 9 go 9... every little bit you can prepare for post shooting will help... this come straight from a massab ayoob text on justifiable homicide and the legalities associated with it...

stay tuned for better responces than mine, but thats my .02

Buy one that shoots 40 if you want a 40 or the one that shoots 45 if you want a 45. The specs on the Glock web site tell you the weight and the physical dimensions of each.

Only you can define what is "best" for you. Everything comes with trade-offs. Both go BANG every time you pull the trigger and have accuracy that exceeds the requirements for a CCW weapon.

the 23 will also have smaller grip... if you have smaller hands the 23 will probably fit better... go feel both and see which one fits you the best... and better yet, shoot both and see which one you prefer.

How big are you? Buy the one you're most likely to carry and shoot well. For me it's a Kahr PM9 and/or a Glock 26 (and sometimes the Ruger LCP 380 gets the call).

I know the 40 has more stopping power, but if it's at home it won't matter. I'm 165 or so and 5'9", not a lot of places to hide a mid sized pistol unless it's winter.

All that being said, between your two choices, I'd go G23. Do you own any other pistols, if so then it might make the decision easier if you already own a 40 or 45.

Thanks for the replies already. I do own a Beretta 92 9mm, but its too big to conceal. I wouldn't mind keeping the same caliber as the Beretta..is the .40 that much better than a good 9mm +p+ round? I'm actually leaning towards the 23, just need some more time to think about it. I'm a bigger guy.. 5'11 260 so I doubt I'd have trouble concealing either.

Alan

I just called around and found a 23 that I will go look at tomorrow. It has the night sights on it. Price was 589.00. Is this a decent price, or too high?

as for the stopping power between 9mm +p and .40... i think its a hogwash... a few centermass hits of either will eventually put an assaliant down... as to which one will do it faster, well there are so many variable that go into that... bullet choice, clothing, shot placement, is the BG on meth or something else... get what you want... i always recomend the G19 to people new to handguns as i think that is one of the best multipurpose fighting handguns around. the 23 will feel the same in the hand, just shoot the .40 instead of 9

Get the night sights for sure (steel vs plastic)

I like the Glock 19 (9mm version of the 23) and with DPX ammo, I don'tfeel out gunned...

I also looked at the 36 and really like the slim grip and thought it would go great inside the pants or insdie a pocket... in the end I will more then likely get one but I think the short barrel on it makes it an "up close and personal" gun

I was a 40 guy for years. Sold the 27 and 22 and went to a G19 to replace both. I would not want to be on the receiving end of a premium 147 gr HP slug.

Get the 23, and if you decide you want to go back to the 9mm, there are barrel replacements that will make your 23 a 19.

If you tried both to see which fit your hand better also take into consideration:
1. Will you have prob. getting ammo for either
2. Capacity (definite win for the 23)

Both are fine choices but personally my 23 will never leave...the 36 has. Its nice for the size and caliber..BUT..its not that much different than the 19/23/32 and has half the capacity. If you can hold side by side you'll see the 36 is only slightly slimmer and shorter. An has a funkier cut on the edges.

G23/G27. I carried an Ultra CDP for awhile but it weighed just as much as the Glocks and you only have half the magazine capacity. Plus if you get a .40 Glock all you have to do is get a couple of 9mm magazines and a Lone Wolf conversion barrel and you can shoot 9mm as well. You can also get a .357 Sig barrel should the mood strike you and have 3 calibers in one gun.

Also, Glock parts are cheap to replace or stock up on. Main thing though is to get a gun you want to carry and can shoot accurately.

I've got a G36 and I love it... doesn't seen like it would be a good shooter but it is.

Well I went out and bought the 23 with night sights model this morning. I found it a little cheaper..I paid 550 for it. I fired a few rounds out of it and was surprised at the accuracy. The pistol fits my hands just right. The only problem is ammo..I can't find any cheap ammo to get some practice with. I bought 100 rounds of win. Ranger LE ammo 165 HP. It seemed to shoot well.

Now I'm open for suggestions on best way to carry it. I would like IWB, but I'm not sure whats the best brand. Any recommendations?? Also, any places where I can buy a few extra mags?

Thanks for the help
Alan

IWB: check out FIST inc. OR Blade tech.......
Hmmm I do recall someone mentioning "ammo" considerations..jk...
Great choice hope ya enjoy...mags...do a lil googling ya should be able to find one. Just DONT go to BOTACH

Milt Sparks VMII IWB holster. It's hard to beat just get a good belt too. You will probably have a few months before you get it but it's WELL worth it.

Bladetech IWB's and Milt Sparks are both comfortable. I've used a BT for several years. Make sure, if you go with a IWB holster that it has a sweat guard. If not it will pinch the hell out of you when you reholster.

+1 for Ghogs Nmare...Stay away from Botach, there unreliable at best.

I like the G23 and the G27. I also prefer the factory Glock night sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would get a G19. </div></div>

+1