• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Optic Advice

ssc45

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2019
After hearing many positive reviews of the criterion core barrels, I ordered one. I really don't need any more AR's, but I guess I am bored. So, this barrel will be the center of an upper build. It is 14.5, vltor MUR, MI combat rail, BCM comp mod 1. My quandary is what scope should I mount? I will use it to run drills. Normally the drills I run are less than 50 yards. Hence 1X is important. Lightweight is a consideration. Easy to get behind is important. However, I will be shooting steel and would like to take it out to 600 yards on occasion. I like simple reticles. Money isn't an issue. On some of my other rifles, I have the vortex razor gen2E with JM1 ret. I like this scope, so am considering it. I have the kahles K1-6 and steiner Pxi4 and a few nightforce and leupold scopes. The burris XTR3 is on my long range AR. Thinking I would like a bit more magnification than 6x, but not fond of any of the 1-8's., but haven't seen many.

I am considering the following:
1. Razor Gen2e 1-6. However it is on the heavy side and the mag ring is tight. Yes it has been sent back to vortex to loosen and has a cat tail.
2. Razor Gen3 1-10. Also heavy and not sure if the mag ring is as tight.
3. Steiner Txi 1-6.
4. Leupold patrol mk6 1-6. I'm not a big fan of leupold but it is lightweight.

I am open to most any suggestions with the above thoughts. I have plenty of reddots and am not open to them with magnifiers. Not going to mount a red dot with the scope.

Thank you for your time and thoughts,

Cheers, Steve

March shorty 1-10x24
Nightforce NX8 1-8X24
Primary Arms PLx Compact 1-8x24

Those are all lightweight options you should be considering as well. All three have their own drawbacks and perks depending on the exact feature sets your desiring and reticle choice. Also the March is considerably more expensive, but those are three more to look into.

I personally own the Primary Arms PLx Compact and I really like it, but my use case may be different then some. For instance, I wanted a reticle on 1x that useable without the need for nuclear bright illumination or illumination at all for that matter, the PA gave me that at the cheapest price of those three. Good luck

Reactions: ssc45
I was recently shopping for an LPVO. 4x was too little; 6 and 8x is what I shopped. There was no 8x that caught my attention. A Steiner T6Xi 1-6 arrived this weekend. I wasn't entirely sold on the reticle, but in my hands I think I'll like it. Otherwise it checked all of the boxes. Mrad, .1 clicks (even though I won't be dialing - well, not so long as it is on the rifle I bought it for), FFP, red illumination, zero stop (see previous comment about dialing), not China. Our use will be very different, so I can't comment in that regard. Cameraland NY has a great price.

Reactions: ssc45