• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need optic for new LMT 6.5 DMR

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I have been waiting a long time for the opportunity to buy a factory LMT 6.5 DMR rifle. It should arrive at my FFL this week! I am looking for input on glass. I am looking at getting a Mk5 7-35 or 5-25 in the PR2 reticle. I am leaning more towards the 5-25 due to living in the midwest where a lower power is nice for a possible shot on a game animal within 100 yards.

However, 5x at 100 or less still wont provide much FOV, so it makes me lean more towards the 7-35 with a offset red dot for anything close. Then I have the higher end magnification for spotting or finding targets if I were to get the chance to shoot a CD or SH field match. I occasionally shoot local LR matches, but they're much more geared towards the 25lbs bolt guns type shooting than a gas gun style. Ideally, it would be field matches, hunting, and general range use.

Not sure what your budget is but I've been extremely impressed with the Bushnell DMR 3 with the G4P Reticle. I have owned several of the DMR offerings and they have all been bomb proof with dead on tracking, top it off with a $1,125.00 Gov price makes it impossible to beat. The ERS3 is also solid for Budget LR Scope.

The MK5 are night as well and they have a good Mil program as well.

Reactions: Jsp556
Have to second the DMR3, but it wound up back on my bolt 6.5CM as the dot get pretty small on lower magnification and seems, for my purposes, better for LR precision shooting.
That said, have two DMR2 Pro’s on my other 6.5CM AR’s and the solid crosshair shows up a bit better in lower light and potential hunting situations, though neither offer illumination. Both the 2Pro and DMR3 are very solid, have very good glass, track as noted and are heavy hitters at their price point. Worth a look, for certain.

An observation if I may,

It seems like you are trying to set up a rifle to two dramatically different task where on one hand you you want to precision/LR stuff that benefits from a heavier rifle with more magnification but at the same time, be a field rifle that benefits from being lighter and needs less magnification.

Considering that the MWS is a modular system, have you given any thought to getting a lighter weight barrel that is more suitable for field stuff and something like a 1-6 LPVO. With a good mount and torque wrench, getting the rifle set up for field stuff is a 5 minute job.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Jigstick
Anything you can do at 5x, you can do nearly as well at 7x. The same canno be said for 25x vs 35x…

I use an NX8 4-32x on mine…EuroOptic always seems to have “demo” models on sale that arrive barely looking like they were touched. Can’t recommend enough

Good glass, turrets are very tactile and track very accurately, decent eye relief, and built like a tank…any caliber you can throw at em it’ll take as long as a quality mount is used

NF 4-16X42 ATACR on my MWS in 6.5CM. Lotta good glass out there but that's my fav.

PB

The two most important considerations are first the barrel, and second the scope. Now, being an LMT fan, owner and dealer, I love the MWS308 and MARS-H platforms. But, with 6.5CM, you are not shooting a mile, so I recommend you moderate your magnification. What range will you be shooting. My guess is 600 to 1,000 yards. You will not need 35x for that, and I would argue that 25x might be too much.

A gas gun is never going to be as accurate as a bolt gun (go ahead argue that I am wrong). You will want a scope that will withstand a little recoil, though. Given that you are getting, arguably, one of the best large caliber gas guns on the market, I would advocate for an above average scope in the 16x to 20x top range. In that market, I like, in no particular order:
  • ZCO 4-20 (a little pricey, but the best value in this market)
  • S&B 3-20 US (probably too pricey, but worth considering)
  • Nightforce ATACR 4-16x (probably about perfect)
  • Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x (a great scope and a great price point, not the alpha scope as others mentioned)
  • Leupold Mark 5 HD 3-18x (probably a little better than the NX8, and very mainstream)

The two most important considerations are first the barrel, and second the scope. Now, being an LMT fan, owner and dealer, I love the MWS308 and MARS-H platforms. But, with 6.5CM, you are not shooting a mile, so I recommend you moderate your magnification. What range will you be shooting. My guess is 600 to 1,000 yards. You will not need 35x for that, and I would argue that 25x might be too much.

A gas gun is never going to be as accurate as a bolt gun (go ahead argue that I am wrong). You will want a scope that will withstand a little recoil, though. Given that you are getting, arguably, one of the best large caliber gas guns on the market, I would advocate for an above average scope in the 16x to 20x top range. In that market, I like, in no particular order:
  • Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x (a great scope and a great price point, not the alpha scope as others mentioned)
  • Leupold Mark 5 HD 3-18x (probably a little better than the NX8, and very mainstream)
Oddly...i’m having an experience with a 20” LMT 6.5 that has been better than any of my bolt guns save one.

It tosses the first round and last in exactly the same spot and it shoots the cold bore and the groups in exactly the same spot at about .2”

Wont be selling any time soon lol.

Each of these was fired on different days. It flipped the two cold bore shots sideways.

96D0CC16-14EF-4A85-BADA-A20030A38116.jpeg
DC646333-6B12-4DB1-870C-9178B763EC61.jpeg

3C9DA052-BEB7-4003-B789-7FDB5577E3AD.jpeg
B269137F-139C-4ED7-A0C0-788C4709D2AF.jpeg

Oddly...i’m having an experience with a 20” LMT 6.5 that has been better than any of my bolt guns save one.

It tosses the first round and last in exactly the same spot and it shoots the cold bore and the groups in exactly the same spot at about .2”

Wont be selling any time soon lol.

Each of these was fired on different days. It flipped the two cold bore shots sideways.

View attachment 7877738View attachment 7877740
View attachment 7877739View attachment 7877737

While I am not going to say that my 6.5 barrel will outgroup my 300WM with a Krieger barrel, but it prints noticeable better and more consistent groups than my SS 308 barrels.

Phenomenal barrel.

I am looking at the 4-20 ZCO with MPTC2 reticle. What mount do you recommend? I like badger mounts but they don't make 36mm mounts.

The ZCO is above and beyond. I’d go that route. They hold value incredibly and you can always recoup you money if you find one in the PX for $3400, which is going rate. You’ll be blown away.
Otherwise, I 3rd the DMR3 for $1100. They tunnel though 3.5-5ish

The ZCO is above and beyond. I’d go that route. They hold value incredibly and you can always recoup you money if you find one in the PX for $3400, which is going rate. You’ll be blown away.
Otherwise, I 3rd the DMR3 for $1100. They tunnel though 3.5-5ish
I previously had a kahles K624i can’t remember if it was gen 2 or 3, whatever the latest version was around 2017. How does a ZCO compare to that? My best pieces of glass I’ve owned is the 1-8 ATACR and Kahles.

I previously had a kahles K624i can’t remember if it was gen 2 or 3, whatever the latest version was around 2017. How does a ZCO compare to that? My best pieces of glass I’ve owned is the 1-8 ATACR and Kahles.
Dude, the ZCO beats out everything practically. There’s tons of anecdotal posts. I’m telling you. Next level.

Yeah, you’ve picked a baller ass rifle just do it right.

Reactions: aslrookie

Does anyone know best scope mounts to buy for the 6.5 creedmoor lmt mars h dmr. Mounting a nx8 4-32x I like this one pictured but would like to know the exact mount and height. Much thanks!

Attachments

• FBD66E15-5D3B-46AF-9E80-18C1AEB63A44.png
    FBD66E15-5D3B-46AF-9E80-18C1AEB63A44.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 67