• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Need optics for new Larue OBR 7.62

Topgun

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2007
Round Rock, Texas
I've been pouring over the info on this sight for nearly a month while I've been waiting on my Larue OBR 7.62, and the rifle finally came in today so it's time to make a decision. Sadly, I'm not much closer to a decision after a month of research.

I'm a heavy 3-gun shooter, and regularly shoot out to 500 yards during 3-gun matches. My plan is to use the new OBR 7.62 in the Heavy 3-gun division, and also use it in tactical-style precision rifle matches due to the OBR's reputation for accuracy. I don't dream of using one optic for both applications, so I plan on using two optics in Larue mounts and switching between them--low power variable for 3-gun, and higher power variable for precision.

My budget right now is $1500 for both optics (already have the Larue mounts). I can get a used 3-gun scope in the $600-700 range, so that leaves me around $800-900 for a precision scope.

My research shows that a used Leupold Mark 4 LR/T with mildot reticle and MOA turrets is about the best I could hope for in that price range. However, my research also shows that FFP and matching reticle/turrets are highly coveted for ease of ranging/adjustments at any power. No scopes in my price range seem to offer either advantage.

I could be convinced to hold off on the 3-gun scope for now and continuing using my .223 in competition, and use my entire budget on a used NF or similar optic, but there doesn't appear to be much advantage since even the NF doesn't offer matching reticle/turrets or FFP in the $1200-1500 price range either.

I'm completely at a loss as to which direction to go. Again, I've searched the board extensively and read all of the FAQs before starting this thread.

I have a 1000 yard rifle range 20 miles from house that holds monthly 3-gun and precision rifle matches (also where this year's Larue Multi Gun match was held). The precision matches go out to 750 yards, but I would like to take advantage of the entire 1000 yards. Larue steel targets (12"x24") are the most commonly used.

Any scope advice for this application would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it's killing my inside that my new $3k rifle is sitting next to me unusable without an optic, so I would prefer a readily available optic that I won't have to wait too long for.

Re: Need optics for new Larue OBR 7.62

Inside your budget: SWFA SS Group Buy

Kit #6 with the SWFA 3-9x42. I know you said you have the mounts already, but you can always get the kit and sell off what you don't need. For the Larue targets, 9x is plenty out to 750yds and a bit more. I run one on my MK12 and it is very reliable, accurate, and you have both FFP and matching turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inside your budget: SWFA SS Group Buy

Kit #6 with the SWFA 3-9x42. I know you said you have the mounts already, but you can always get the kit and sell off what you don't need. For the Larue targets, 9x is plenty out to 750yds and a bit more. I run one on my MK12 and it is very reliable, accurate, and you have both FFP and matching turrets. </div></div>

Is 9x enough magnification for 12x24" targets at 1000 yards?

Since you're open to two scopes then I'd really look at the 1-4 SS in the group buy for the 3-gun stuff and then wait for the 5-20 SS group buy to be announced shortly.

You'll be a little over your $1500 budget, but you can sell at least one of the LaRue mounts since the SS 1-4 comes with a Bobro (or sell the Bobro). The extra $175 from selling the mount will get you REAL close based on what we're all guessing the 5-20 will go for. You might need to find an extra $100 somewhere but you'll have a nice pair of optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inside your budget: SWFA SS Group Buy

Kit #6 with the SWFA 3-9x42. I know you said you have the mounts already, but you can always get the kit and sell off what you don't need. For the Larue targets, 9x is plenty out to 750yds and a bit more. I run one on my MK12 and it is very reliable, accurate, and you have both FFP and matching turrets. </div></div>

Is 9x enough magnification for 12x24" targets at 1000 yards?</div></div> It always has been for me. You're talking about a target that is over 1moa width and 2moa tall. I've used a 10x on targets farther than that with success.

I err to the side of reliability with optics, and SWFA comes through well on that part while still delivering on clarity. Get behind one and any other optics in your price range that you can to give it a try. Even if you don't like it they're not too hard to sell off here when you're post count gets up high enough.

Bushnell is another good option, and so is used to stay in your budget. The Vortex PST availability is getting better but I haven't been behind one of those yet so I can't say either way.

Jasonk has an excellent suggestion but you said you want one available now and the SS 5-20x is not quite there. Otherwise that would be the setup I would recommend with a set of side mounted irons or red dot for the close range work.

I would never recommend mixing a mil reticle with moa turrets when you're considering doing tactical rifle style competitions. It's not impossible, just not ideal.

I don't mind waiting a bit it if the optic I'm waiting for still allows me to afford the 3-gun optic within my budget. The rifle just needs <span style="font-style: italic">something</span>.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Any idea on the release date and price for the SWFA SS 5-20x? What reticles are being offered?</span> Just found the SS 5-20x thread. Not sure about that reticle, but the rest of it looks nice. What price were y'all expecting?

What about the Vortex PST line? At least one board dealer has the 4-16x FFP MRAD in stock. Would y'all wait for the SWFA or snag the Vortex PST FFP while it's available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't mind waiting a bit it if the optic I'm waiting for still allows me to afford the 3-gun optic within my budget. The rifle just needs <span style="font-style: italic">something</span>.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Any idea on the release date and price for the SWFA SS 5-20x? What reticles are being offered?</span> Just found the SS 5-20x thread. Not sure about that reticle, but the rest of it looks nice. What price were y'all expecting?

What about the Vortex PST line? At least one board dealer has the 4-16x FFP MRAD in stock. Would y'all wait for the SWFA or snag the Vortex PST FFP while it's available?
</div></div>
Personally would wait to see how the SS plays out. The price is going to be over 1k but under 1500 per SWFA, but a final price has not been determined as of yet. And if there is a group buy, the deal will be even sweeter. Not that the PST is bad by any means, but that SS is very promising. Hopefully it will be out in a month or two.

there is a wicked USO 1.8-10X37 in the optics for sale thread. If I didnt already have a black one on my OBR I would be tryin to buy that one and at 1650 its a nice deal. You wont get mine for 1650. I have no affiliation with the seller but imho its the perfect scope for my obr...I dont know about yours. I know If I was ready to spend 1500 I would at least make the guy an offer. Sorry about the sideways pic but you get the point.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2547851#Post2547851

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a wicked USO 1.8-10X37 in the optics for sale thread. If I didnt already have a black one on my OBR I would be tryin to buy that one and at 1650 its a nice deal. You wont get mine for 1650. I have no affiliation with the seller but imho its the perfect scope for my obr...I dont know about yours. I know If I was ready to spend 1500 I would at least make the guy an offer. Sorry about the sideways pic but you get the point.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2547851#Post2547851

</div></div>

Thanks for that link. I just sent the seller a PM.

The USO SN3 may not be the ideal 3-gun scope, but it will work well enough until USO releases their 1-8x later this year. Sounds like the 10x at the top end should suite my precision needs well enough too.

I for sure would be buying the new bushnell 6x24x50 ffp mil/mil, illuminated. it has everything you are looking for and it is under $900 just go to libertyoptics.com or deltaoutdoorsman.com, they are both great dealers and will treat you right.

this will also give you enough leftover for your 3 gun sights. I currently own 3 bushnell ffp's and have a HDMR coming next month. mind you i use a s&b i on main competition rifle but have shot multiple matches with the bushnell and have been very pleased with there performance.

Damn nice snag there. I was starting to figure ways I could get that one on my m1a. Thank you for saving me 1650 and probably a payment plan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn nice snag there. I was starting to figure ways I could get that one on my m1a. Thank you for saving me 1650 and probably a payment plan.

</div></div>

I'm surprised it was still there as fast as good optics deals are snatched up around here.

I'm happy to save you the trouble.
cool.gif