• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need options

WillAdams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Short & sweet, I have lost over 70# (230 down to 170) in less than 7 months due to radiation, chemo & surgery & having all but 12 teeth pulled. Prior to surgery I was holding my own and doing well at 190. I had been subsisting on Matrix brand protein & Gatorade nutrition & Recovery shakes. CAN NOT eat solid food yet. Some soups are OK but .. not enough. I need something that will add weight but is in shake form. Cost does matter so if someone has some "Homemade" (additions to a powder base) I'm willing to listen. Having new teeth (dentures / partials) is still 6 months off because I only work PT and I'll have the funds after Tax Time. What works that won't break a meager budget ? DON'T suggest adding peanut butter because my throat can't deal with it , same for chunky soup or ground up food.

yeah this sorta sucks but at least I can still look down at the daises instead of being horizontal holding them up.
Thanks

Re: Need options

My dad went through chemo and rad so i understand the difficulties. My main question to you would be your activity level. When you are recovering from cancer your activity and motivational levels are low so you do not want to over eat but at the same time do as much as you can in the gym. Obviously go with protein shakes, gold standard whey is excellent quality IMO. Also make sure you supplement with casein as well as a whey protein. Carbs and Fats will be your main gainer but with the low activity level fat will increase. You can buy carb supplements as well to mix with water. Whenever you take protein shakes add some flax seed oil in for your fats as well. The regular boost and ensure will not be sufficient enough to maintain weight.

there are a couple of companies out there that make a high protein(26-30g) broth like soup...just pure liquid.....

you are inspiration man..through and through....a lot of people would have gave up on life....but you are already trying to start kicking ass again...

i dont have any idea what advice to give you given the medical history...i know some people that do though...i will see what they say..

bench

Will, first off my thought and prayers are with you brother , my hats off to you ... dont ever give up. I have been going through a small taste of what you have (not realy even compairable though) my story: I was 29 and noticed I couldnt breath well and started coughing up blood. Long story short I had a cancerous tumor in my left lung, I had one lobe removed. My whole life I have been very fit and always trained hard my average weight was 195-200 lbs and 10% or less body fat. I was never a high weight lifting person but more a endurance just my body type. After surgery I dropped down to 168lbs , I didnot have any kind of radiation or chemotherapy. I was back traning (very hard) with in 1.5 months after surgery I had to start very slow. My doc said it would take at least 1 year to fully recover from such a major surgery. Well I could not gain weight and I could eat what ever I wanted. I was on a very strict and high quality diet the whole time all to gain weight for some time I was eating 4500 calories per day. I didnt beleve the docs about the recovery time but 1 year almost to the day I started slowly gaining weight. Its been 2.5 years and I am only at 185 lbs. Im still fighting with lung issues but quitting is NOT a option. You are a inspiration to me , I will be sucessful in my goals and I know you will be also.

I supose my point to all of this is time and tenacity will be your best tools for sucess. Good luck , Semper FI.

Damn Will, I had no idea you were going through all that... I'll see what I can find out for you. My niece and step father are battling cancer right now...

All I can tell you is eat what you can, as often as you can. I don't know if you have trouble keeping food down, but I know I did. The drugs the gave me to help settle my stomach may as well been skittles for as effective as it was. I still went from being 175 lbs to 120 lbs before it all was over. Still only 150 lbs and its been 4 years.

Keep fighting the good fight my friend.

It's been 3 months since the final surgery. Having to be intubated for anesthesia did more trauma to an already sore throat. I was working PT the whole time during treatment and have only missed about 9 days after surgery. Working nights (walking a campus, shaking doors & checking locks)averages about 3-5 miles every night. I have almost no body fat (imagine that) ... hadn't thought about fax oil but will look for some. Went from 2% to whole milk just for fat. Also use better grade ice cream in my shakes sometimes.

My desire to be active is there but ... the energy level isn't. Was out in the woods prepping/scouting for a hunt and I did good to hike about 5 miles total. 3 bottles(20oz) H2O and 2 cans of Shake still wasn't enough. Good news is that I can drink beer again without choking !! Looking for some DunkleBock(sp?)or a really stout Stout. Liquid bread doncha know ?!

Thanks for the info.

Will,
Sorry to hear about this and wish you the very best.
Keep up the good fight.
Give this a try, it's a very good weight gainer.
580 calories, but if you mix it with whole milk, as I do, it jumps up to 900 calories. 54gr of protein.
I like the Stawberries & Creme.
CytoSport Cytogainer
Try it, it will help. You also need to drink plenty of water with proteins.
Best of luck to you and yours.
Keep us informed.

Jbell, I am nowhere near intaking 4K in calories !! Maybe 1/2 that on a good day. Looks like I need to up everything. I was never a gym rat & hated pumping iron. Way back when I was more inclined to hump a ruck around the Gabriel Course or down Long Street. If not that then an hour or so swimming. Now I'm almost 56 (next week) and my (now) bony @$$ has a problem on my bicycle !! Didn't know how much cushion I had till it's gone ... looks like I'll pick up the pace hiking/walking and contact a strength conditioning coach here at the Univ. Man o man, what a difference a few decades make !!
BTW, I don't have issues keeping food down (never did) the issue is swallowing... bread, donuts, pasta all want to clog the throat. Can practically inhale a can of broccoli/cheese soup but Chicken & rice just shows I have a tremendous gag reflex, now.

Anyone need size 38W, 34L or 40W pants ? Dress & casual. Mostly khaki but some microfiber. Looking for 30-32W & 34 L. heh heh heh, willing to trade. Most of my "field" stuff has been covered by a Marine friend (THANKS, Adam !!) I have Woodland & desert MARPAT. G2G, Look out hogs & deer !!

Will , I have never been a "bodybuilder" or "power lifter" I just enjoy traning hard and trying to push harder and farther each time. But when I got sick and lost 30 or so pounds and could not gain a ounce I had to do something. I have always been very lean (12-10% body fat w/o tring) but have alwayse eaten like a horse. I think the point I was tring to make was it takes time and sometimes after a big change like a major surgery your body changes like it or not. Mine decided to become leaner , and weaker. I am not having any of that , even though I have sence developed bad asthma and on top of that my left lung (the one missing a lobe) is not flowing air properly or at all so I keep getting pneumonia or pneumonia like symptoms , I have not slacked off at all actually I push harder. The truth to be known I think I am doing more harm than good , but I am a little thick headed and I feel the need to prove to myself every day that I DO NOT QUIT!
Sorry , not sure where I was trying to go with that. I just get pissed thinking about it , but I think my point is your best tool to acheive your goals no matter what they may be is your brain. Give it time and dont ever let up , every ounce of pain you endure will just make you tougher and let it add fuel to the fire.
Keep the hammer down brother , SEMPER FI!

I too have pushed too hard without knowing it until after the damage was done. have 2 places where the intercostal muscles are torn from trying to start a blower & chain saw. also a place just below R shoulderblade from same exercise. Yep, a slow road to progress.
At least this season I'll be stalking slower in the woods rather than sounding like a force march !!!
Not a Marine but as a kid I did get my haircuts at MCRD Diego !!

SAPPERS UP !!

Will you may want to eat oatmeal, cottage cheese, and yogurt.

Oatmeal is a great complex carb food that converts to long term energy.

Cottage cheese is a slow release protein with mid level calories and a reasonable amount vitamin D and calcium.

Yogurt also has some protein but additionally it has some sugar. The sugar will give you a lift in short order.

I hope you get to feeling better.

Good luck

Will, after seeing you in person @ the shop the other day, you look a lot better than I expected after hearing of your misfortune.

One thing is for sure, you are doing more than most folks that are considered to be "healthy". I did not tell you when you were here, but I was inspired by your visit.

Sam's Club sells a high protein shake mix that comes in bulk, is priced well, and tastes good. I think EAS makes it.

Hang in there. You made it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short & sweet, I have lost over 70# (230 down to 170) in less than 7 months due to radiation, chemo & surgery & having all but 12 teeth pulled. Prior to surgery I was holding my own and doing well at 190. I had been subsisting on Matrix brand protein & Gatorade nutrition & Recovery shakes. CAN NOT eat solid food yet. Some soups are OK but .. not enough. I need something that will add weight but is in shake form. Cost does matter so if someone has some "Homemade" (additions to a powder base) I'm willing to listen. Having new teeth (dentures / partials) is still 6 months off because I only work PT and I'll have the funds after Tax Time. What works that won't break a meager budget ? DON'T suggest adding peanut butter because my throat can't deal with it , same for chunky soup or ground up food.

yeah this sorta sucks but at least I can still look down at the daises instead of being horizontal holding them up.
Thanks
</div></div>

Normally I always tell people whole food is best, but in your case, an Meal Replacement (MRP) shake would be helpful. Here's the recipe I use: MRP Recipe Vid

I have the recipe for the HULK shake. Its about a blender full of drink and its 1000 calories a serving. So if you want to gain weight, this will help you pack it on. It does have Butter Pecan ice cream in it.... can your throat handle that?

Let me get the specifics and I will edit it into this post.

KYS338, Need to pass on the mix with butter pecan. nuts mess me up. Even smooth PB kicks in the gag reflex. Pick up 10# of a mass builder that has 1250 per mixed shake. My blender can't handle that mix so I have been making 1/2 shakes and drinking more often.

Hooper, What was it from SNL years ago? "Looking Good is better than feeling Good?" Or was that some movie with Eddie Murphy ?
I am getting better, strange as hell being PO'd because they don't make off the rack 30-32W 34-35L trousers and I can't afford the good stuff.Same for buying shirts in 15 with 36" sleeves. Use to have a hassle with 18 ... need to have a yard sale or post some street clothes & 5.ll or Propper stuff here. Good news is that LA Police had a sale of "covert" 5.ll and I got 3 pair for under $10 EACH !!!

Thanks everyone. Got to clean up ... we have the grand opening of the AUBURN Arena w/ the Harlem Globetrotters as an act. Then Sat we have the Ark Hogs in town . Too bad I didn't nail a feral this week in the woods. Some dumb@$$ didn't reset the bait trap and they just walked in cleaned up and walked out. How could I have been so forgetful ? lol

Eggs. High protein, easy to cook, cooked consistency will work well in a blender whether boiled or cooked in the microwave.

Back when SNL was still funny, Billy Crystal did a shtick as a character named, Fernando" who was a knock-off of Fernando Lamas. The catch phrase was, "it's not how you feel, it's how you look..., and you look marvelous."

Don't forget good old body weight calisthenics for strength building. Push-ups and sit-ups for starters, then add pull-ups and air squats. Increase sets and reps as you progress. Remember, Hershel Walker never touched a weight in his life and he turned out OK.

Hang in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eggs. High protein, easy to cook, cooked consistency will work well in a blender whether boiled or cooked in the microwave.
</div></div>

Eggs are good too (as eating different sources of protein a good idea) and easy to to get down as you point out, but whey has effects beyond it's protein content, such as anti cancer, immune boosting effects, etc. See, Fighting Cancer With Whey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM sent to Brink </div></div>

Responded with info. Good luck sir.
wink.gif

Your an insperation to all of us, glad you made it through and continue to fight the good fight! Sorry i can't add any suggestions, im utterly clueless about this...

True Protein .com will blend you a mix with whatever you want or need as far as protein carbs and fats , they are a great grouip of people who use top end products.

I use their Lean Beef Amino when i cut my calories way back for contest , its beef protein and in a liquid form. You can add 3 tablespoon of it to some whole milk and have a complete meal woith two differant types of protein good fats and carbs and the best part it taste great the vanilla mixed in milk tase just like melted ice cream and the chocolate tase like Hereshy's , they also have fruit flavors that can be mixed with water , it mixes completely and if absorbed by the body very very fast
Check it out
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6914

look around the site some at some of the other stuff they have and if you have any questions call them , they are very very helpfull

i know you said no peanut butter, but as my post workout drink i use 1 scoop protein, ice, water (never tried it with milk), and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and blend it till its like milk almost. a little thicker (barely) than milk but zero chunks of anything. its 545 calories. and you could always add another scoop of protein in there too. i mix it in a magic bullet blender for maybe 20-30 seconds to get smooth, cant even tell there was ice in it. i use myofusion pb/chocolate protein or just plain chocolate. its actually really really tasty.