• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Need Photonis 4G WP filer advice

Old Man with Gun

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Feb 4, 2019
    I have a PVS-14 coming that has a Photonis 4G WP tube in it. I will mostly be using it in high light urban areas around an industrial park and my neighborhood. I got it for security post hurricane during blackouts, so probably not a lot of street lights, but plenty of places running on generators. I have a Thermal Hogster-C that is great for detection as a scanner, but the FOV is way too small to navigate a warehouse.

If I use a weapon, it will be with the PVS-14 on a helmet mount with C1 IR weapon laser and mid to low power IR illuminator for inside buildings and navigation.

That said, I'm worried about damaging the tube from headlights, motion security lighting and my IR light and laser reflecting back off of surfaces.

Should I be concerned? Should I use a LIF, ND or some other filter as insurance?

Anyone doing this and can recommend a product?

Thanks!

You do not need to be concerned. You do not need a LIF or ND filter.

Do you only get damage to a tube from a laser if it's been shined directly into the tube?

I have been taught to not let any bright light stay in your view for long and definitely not in the same spot of the tube. Dot sights mounted in front have burnt their image into tubes, although this may go away if you let the unit run overnight in a dark place.

I dont think seeing your laser dot is a risk unless both the laser and NVD are weapon mounted and it is always on the same spot on the tube.

I cant imagine having a laser directed at the tube at any power level could be ok.

Reactions: TheHorta