• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need powder funnel for 223

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
Today was one those aha moments! I was reloading 5.56 with H335 powder. As I was pouring the powder in the brass with my red plastic funnel, I noticed a few kernels hitting my leg. I measured the actual powder weigh in the brass, and there was a loss of 0.2grs. That explains why all my 223/556 loads with H335 have been pretty bad.

I’m using the cheap plastic red funnel that came with the Lee basic reloading kit and I think it’s time to upgrade.

I ditched the plastic funnel long ago. I would agree the Area419 setup is the best overall especially if you load or intend to load multiple calibers. For a single caliber only options, also consider Satern (about $13) and the Precision Hardcore Gear funnels (about $30). Lyman makes a multiple caliber funnel set as well but I have no experience with that setup.

Reactions: pfl338
Mk machining makes a interchangeable funnel
I’m thinking about trying a 10” 21st century to see if I can get some more space in my 223 cases

Last edited:
Mk machining makes a interchangeable funnel
I’m thinking about trying a 10” 21st century to see if I can get some more space in my 223 cases
I also use this funnel and it works very well even for fine ball powder like CFE 223.

Reactions: never_summer
I have had good luck with the Precision Hardcore Gear funnels. Would not hesitate to recommend them. There are several on the market that appear to be good choices these days.

The "Most Liked Negative Review" for the Precision Hardcore Gear funnel is having the same exact leaking problem I have right now with 223 and H335.

Makes me wonder if the funnel he has is the wrong one for 22 caliber brass. I have been using mine on 223 brass with both CFE223 and H335 and haven't seen that issue ever.

I would recommend against the Saterns for fine ball powders. I experienced clinging of a few tens of a grain no matter what I did to make it stop. Haven’t had any issues with the area 419 kit, tho I wish they were a bit more bottom heavy for stability. As it is they’re definitely top heavy, but otherwise work very well.

Saturn makes a nice funnel, which I thought was high at $15, lol.
How times have changed.

That said I have a 419 funnel and drop tube to try out next time I reload on the 550.