• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need Quick Help on X-bow Recommendation

WB300

Cranky Yankee
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
GA
Hiders...

I just decided to take the 1st week of Oct and accompany my buddy for bow season in PA. Here's my dilemma....

I just had recent shoulder surgery and cannot use a compound bow. I would like a X-bow, but it has to be easy to cock. I don't care for the self cocking with the hand crank in the stock, but will go that route if i need to. I was thinking that the pulley assist ropes could get me there. Here's what I would like...

Reverse draw, semi-compact design, balances well, pretty quiet for a X-bow. No Excalibers. I don't care for the latest fastest X-bow. I don't want this thing to sound like a grenade going off when shot. And I don't have to have a package deal ready to shoot off the shelf. I plan on using my Aimpoint Comp M4 red dot for the sight. I would also get better bolts and broadheads than what normally come with a package.

Game is primarily whitetail deer and hogs. If I get lucky... maybe Elk, Moose, or Black Bear some day. Shots are 40 yards and less. Budget is around $1K-ish for X-bow, bolts, broadheads, and case. Used is fine as long as it's in great shape and ready to hunt.

Seems like Ten Point, Mission, Barnet, and a used Ravin are most popular. Anyone have a specific model they can recommend?

Lets hear your thoughts.

Will

Last edited:
im in the same boat hunting in pa no shoulder surgery yet but i have a impingement i can shoot a bow buy it hurts. i went out and bought a raven crossbow kit i couldn't be happier. the day i bought it i was shooting 60 yds dead deer every time. its light and compact i believe it was the x28 a little more than your price range but you wouldn't go wrong. i was lucky their was a pro shop near me so i could try different ones their was no comparison.

Thanks afv. A used Ravin would be nice, but I think the time to find a deal was probably after last season. A lot of people like the used R10. I'd like to find one.

Interwebs search finds the Ten Point Turbo GT and the Mission 1MOA get great reviews for the price range. Maybe someone will have some experience with these.

Last edited:
Check out Horton and Wicked Ridge bows as well. They have some options that check the specs you wanted. Cabelas/Bass Pro has a Horton RDX storm package on clearance right now, but they are out of stock online.

Crossbowtalk.com and Crossbownation.com both have a classifieds section that you could try looking in for used.

For bolts look at the Black Eagle executioners. Broadheads: fixed - slick tricks have worked great for me out of my vertical bow for over a decade. Expandables: I don't use them much but the swhackers fly well out of my dads xbow.

I think I've settled on the Mission Sub-moa XR. I'd prefer a hardly used one, but heck... finding even new in stock is proving to be a chore.

its not a reverse limb but look at the barnet ts series. Wife hunts with the 370 it was like 299 on ebay comes with a trigger tech trigger in it

I wound up getting a Mission Sub 1 XR at a decent price. Friends said it was very user friendly, and I plan on teaching my son to use it also.

If I send a bolt through a buck, I'll update this thread with pics.

Thank for all the suggestions.

I've used TenPoint xbows for years. First a Titan, then a Shadow Ultra-Lite, and most recently a Stealth NXT. Have loved them all, and highly recommend them. Very reliable and accurate.