• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need recommendations for best Lpvo for under $500

RMS65

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2019
Hey gang,
You can skip the next paragraph (background story) and go straight to the bullet points if you like.

I'm sure this has been best to death. I tried YouTube and there's so many questionable reviews it's hard to trust anything. Here's the situation I'm fleeing NY for my life this year. I bought 113 acres in Arkansas with a little house for my wife and I. We're pretty remote as the house is a half mile from the road and surrounded by woods. I have a pump shotgun and will get a 9mm pistol for close quarters home and personal defense. For more midrange property protection and shtf stuff I'm getting a 223 wylde 16" AR. I bought a red dot for it but can't use it because of astigmatism. That's ok because I'd like like some magnification for target identification anyway. I'm looking for a 1-4 or 1-6 LPVO. I don't need much magnification because most of the property is heavily wooded. Only the driveway and a couple paths have maybe upto 100 yds of narrow sight line. There's one power line clearing that 400 yards but probably 85% of the property is so wooded really you can't shoot more than 25 yards most of the time. I obviously don't need a high dollar, high magnification LPVO with 1000 yd clarity.

I'm looking for a LPVO with these charteristics for under $500
1 Reliable brand with a known good warranty
2 1-4x or 1-6x
3 Simple illuminated reticle that doesn't need to be daylight bright or have ranging.
4 As clear and bright glass as I can get for the dollar.

Preferred but not required
1 Low profile capped turrets as to not block vision
2 Cross bars in reticle to guide my eye to the center for quick acquisition.
3 Black color

I'm considering a Burris RT6. If you have any suggestions regarding scope or weapon choices please let me know.

Thanks all and have a Merry Christmas
Ron

Reactions: STR956
I have an rt6 it's a good optic for the price. I upgraded to a primary arms 1-8 both good options

In that budget range, I would look at the Sig MSR series, in 1-6x, 1-8x, 1-10x with stupid low prices and good performance. Also, Strike Eagle in 1-8x is a good option.

We have all those selections on our Website, DM me if I can help.

Reactions: Jarrett M
Before you said you were thinking RT6 that’s exactly what my recommendation was going to be reading the original post

I have the RT6. Excellent optic for its price point. You see many who have used one will say the same

I used Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on a work gun years ago. Was a decent optic as well but the had reliability issues with the larger 4-16 and 6-24 HS and PST models. Enough for me to loose faith and sell the viper for a Burris.

Another good one which is what I ran after ditching vortex was a Burris XTRII 1-8. But it’s a bit more than $500 generally used. And I think the RT 6 reticle will suite you better along with the weight

If you don’t intend to dial the RT6 is a great optic

Reactions: Desert Raven
Just bought one, not bad for the money.

Ron

Sounds like you’re new to the rural lifestyle. Welcome. It’s more difficult and more rewarding than most days in the city. Or at least we think so.

Direct to your question, Burris optics have worked ok for us on woods cruising carbines. Durable and solid enough. We have older 1-4X that serve well in the woods. Far from high end glass and jot the latest reticle. That said they simply work in all weather. I haven’t used the RT6, but it is on my radar when replacement time comes.

Also consider a fixed power prismatic for general purpose work. Lighter and smaller than the LPVO. I bought a 3x from primary arms over a year ago. It’s ugly as cold sin but works fine for pest control. So much so that I’m looking at the Burris version as a backup.

Out in the sticks the main use case for the carbine is pest and predator control: coons and possum around the barn and garden; coyotes anywhere we find them. The 3x prism is fine for those applications, as is a LPVO. We are just getting started in night coyote control. That’s a whole different game.

Others will have different opinions and recommendations. There are brands and attributes for every budget. We’ve found Burris, Nikon, and Leupold, serve well and fit our budget. Our experience with vortex was regrettable, but every company can let a lemon get out the door.

Hope this helps your decision process.

Reactions: RMS65
The steiner p4xi is on sale everywhere with the green G1 reticle. Since I only use illuminated reticles in dim woods and low light is there any drawback to either the green color or G1 reticle?
Thanks

Ron
I see green better than red. Your eyesight might be different. Reticle suitability depends in your task. The G1 would be fine for yotes, especially with an SFP scope.

Ron
I see green better than red. Your eyesight might be different. Reticle suitability depends in your task. The G1 would be fine for yotes, especially with an SFP scope.
I used to spend a lot of time pesting and hunting a 275 acre cattle ranch in rural upstate NY. I've got plenty of air and powder burning rifles for four legged pests. My favorite ranch gun is my 223 Howa Mini-action lightweight. Ugly, light, accurate and reliable.

With being out on our own in unfamiliar rural AR, I'm more concerned about two legged pests. Being from lower shit hole NY, I'm a little edgy and untrusting. County living is going to be an adjustment I'm hoping to to make easily.

Given your budget, I too would recommend the RT-6. Good eye relief, clear Japanese glass, a good well lighted reticle and fairly light weight.

The only downside, as stated above, is mushy clicks that can be hard to discern, especially if wearing gloves.

I own 5 of them as well as more expensive glass and have had zero issues with any my RT-6 scopes.

ETA: The Battery compartment can also be a challenge to get off, using rubber gloves helps a great deal. Don't monkey fist it down when you put the cap back on.......

Last edited:
Reactions: STR956 and RMS65
I used to spend a lot of time pesting and hunting a 275 acre cattle ranch in rural upstate NY. I've got plenty of air and powder burning rifles for four legged pests. My favorite ranch gun is my 223 Howa Mini-action lightweight. Ugly, light, accurate and reliable.

With being out on our own in unfamiliar rural AR, I'm more concerned about two legged pests. Being from lower shit hole NY, I'm a little edgy and untrusting. County living is going to be an adjustment I'm hoping to to make easily.
Ron

About 30 years ago i used to trod the Ozarks in southern Mo and Northern AR. Beautiful country for all manner of outdoor recreation. And then I joined the Army…

Most rural areas are perfectly safe. Folks are a bit standoffish until you’ve lived in the area a bit, say 5 or 6 years. Lots of city folks move to the country and quit after a couple years when they discover that it’s not like Mother Earth News propaganda. So long time residents don’t invest much in newcomers for a while.

That said, country folks are quick to help out if you ask. So long as you don’t abuse the generosity of time and tools. We all need help sometimes, especially when the weather Uses you badly.

Spend some effort getting to know your neighbors and local deputies. They’ll clue you into what’s important and who to avoid.

Once you get your carbine sorted, give some thought to general purpose handgun. Snake shot is useful out in the woods, so a 45 acp bottom feeder or a centerfire revolver are useful. I didn’t find the wondernine auto loader very useful on the ranch; urban requirements are very different.

Ron

About 30 years ago i used to trod the Ozarks in southern Mo and Northern AR. Beautiful country for all manner of outdoor recreation. And then I joined the Army…

Most rural areas are perfectly safe. Folks are a bit standoffish until you’ve lived in the area a bit, say 5 or 6 years. Lots of city folks move to the country and quit after a couple years when they discover that it’s not like Mother Earth News propaganda. So long time residents don’t invest much in newcomers for a while.

That said, country folks are quick to help out if you ask. So long as you don’t abuse the generosity of time and tools. We all need help sometimes, especially when the weather Uses you badly.

Spend some effort getting to know your neighbors and local deputies. They’ll clue you into what’s important and who to avoid.

Once you get your carbine sorted, give some thought to general purpose handgun. Snake shot is useful out in the woods, so a 45 acp bottom feeder or a centerfire revolver are useful. I didn’t find the wondernine auto loader very useful on the ranch; urban requirements are very different.
Thanks, sounds like excellent advice. I'll make sure to to copy and paste it somewhere I'll see regularly. Incidentally, I'm moving to Southern Mammoth Spring Arkansas which is near the MO border and the eastern edge of the Ozarks.

My wife loves revolvers and hates snakes so I planned on getting her a 357 revolver. I'm not sure what I'll do for a handgun. I don't like revolvers and or high recoiling automatics so I only assumed that I'd get a nine. I honestly don't know much about handguns other than I prefer controllable accuracy over fire power. Of course my experience is limited and have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the feedback
Ron

Thanks, sounds like excellent advice. I'll make sure to to copy and paste it somewhere I'll see regularly. Incidentally, I'm moving to Southern Mammoth Spring Arkansas which is near the MO border and the eastern edge of the Ozarks.

My wife loves revolvers and hates snakes so I planned on getting her a 357 revolver. I'm not sure what I'll do for a handgun. I don't like revolvers and or high recoiling automatics so I only assumed that I'd get a nine. I honestly don't know much about handguns other than I prefer controllable accuracy over fire power. Of course my experience is limited and have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the feedback
Ron
Mammoth Springs is a nice area. I went to school right up the highway in rolla.

The main thing about handguns on the farm is convenience. Whatever you get it has to be convenient to carry when outside doing chores. That tends to mean shorter barrels and lighter weight. Easy to slip into pants pocket or chore coat are huge benefits. Accuracy and reliability are non-negotiable requirements.

A 357 is fairly stout in a small package. Get her some 38 special wadcutters for practice; those rounds do well against meat too without all the blast and recoil of the larger magnums. Smith&Wesson are easier to tune for a good trigger than just about any other brand double action revolver. Rugers are also good but tend to be bigger and heavier. Old Colts are awesome but parts are hard to find and damned few folks know how to tune one up.

Don’t forget the utility of the lowly 22LR in a small revolver and autoloading rifle. I’ve killed 2
Coyotes with a bone stock ruger 10/22 because that’s what i was carrying to kill tree rats.

Sorry for the thread drift. Enjoy your new place.

Reactions: Modoc and RMS65
Don't be sorry for the thread drift. It's my thread and I'm learning more important stuff from you now then I ever expected. I welcome anything else you think would be helpful. You should be able to message me here if it makes you feel better about the drift.
Thanks again
Ron

Thanks everyone. I just bought a RT6 since it was within my budget and a few people here said they liked theirs.

The going price seems to be be around 350. I found primary arms has them on sale for 300. I saved an extra 20 signing up for the newsletter.

PA has their slx 1-6 on sale for 200. That seems like a good deal as well. I purchased the Burris because I'm more familiar with the brand and the good reviews here.

Now I just got to get the AR built.

Ron

I hope the RT6 works well for you. A good mount will help a lot.

There’s a ton to learn the first couple years on a rural property, depending on what you’re doing on the place. Don’t get in a big rush about choosing major equipment like tractor, brush mower, dirt moving implements and such. A good chainsaw and hand tools will take you a long way while you’re figuring out the major end items. Spend some money on a farm & ranch or pro grade chainsaw with a 20-inch or so bar. Best to buy from a local supplier that has a maintenance shop, as with all heavy equipment.

Good luck with your carbine. They’re useful tools.

Ron

I hope the RT6 works well for you. A good mount will help a lot.

There’s a ton to learn the first couple years on a rural property, depending on what you’re doing on the place. Don’t get in a big rush about choosing major equipment like tractor, brush mower, dirt moving implements and such. A good chainsaw and hand tools will take you a long way while you’re figuring out the major end items. Spend some money on a farm & ranch or pro grade chainsaw with a 20-inch or so bar. Best to buy from a local supplier that has a maintenance shop, as with all heavy equipment.

Good luck with your carbine. They’re useful tools.
Thanks. Pretty funny my first day down there I bought a Husqvarna 20". My second day I cut down my first tree. An old ugly dead tree that was cocking up the view from the deck. Here's before and after pictures.
The house needs a lot more work than I expected. Finding a good contractor has been tough so far. Had a bad one set me back a couple of grand and two weeks of work. I'm going there in January to fix the work myself.
We have plans to add a garden, chickens, outbuilding with a shop and start grooming the property for hunting, fishing and atvs. But I'm going to try to slide into it slowly to minimize mistakes and wasted money. There's a lot to do and equipment to get but I have to make the house functional first.
Thanks for all your advice. It will help me navigate my way into the lifestyle and community.

Attachments

• 20220326_104425.jpg
    20220326_104425.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220629_144425.jpg
    20220629_144425.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: STR956
Thanks. Pretty funny my first day down there I bought a Husqvarna 20". My second day I cut down my first tree. An old ugly dead tree that was cocking up the view from the deck. Here's before and after pictures.
The house needs a lot more work than I expected. Finding a good contractor has been tough so far. Had a bad one set me back a couple of grand and two weeks of work. I'm going there in January to fix the work myself.
We have plans to add a garden, chickens, outbuilding with a shop and start grooming the property for hunting, fishing and atvs. But I'm going to try to slide into it slowly to minimize mistakes and wasted money. There's a lot to do and equipment to get but I have to make the house functional first.
Thanks for all your advice. It will help me navigate my way into the lifestyle and community.
Nice shooting range!!

Talking to local people will help in your quest to find contractors. As will looking at local Facebook pages or bbb ratings for that area.

That is a beautiful place. Wonderful pasture land.

Don’t be afraid to take on house repairs. With the exception of plumbing and electrical, it’s all pretty simple work. (I grew up in a construction family, so it’s second nature to me. I understand why folks have apprehension about major home repair.). Get a couple books on carpentry, read up on load capacity of the lumber of your choice, and get to work. Start on a small project to build confidence. Remember that most framing is rectangles or triangles; 8th grade geometry. A rafter book has all the numbers for your convenience. So does a framing square, but they are a little harder for a novice to decode. Hire plumbing (including propane or natural gas) and electrical done till you master the basics; the consequences of errors in those two areas are high.

Good contractors are hard to come by. They usually have all the work they want, except during a big recession. That may work in your favor real soon.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Nice shooting range!!

Talking to local people will help in your quest to find contractors. As will looking at local Facebook pages or bbb ratings for that area.
Thanks, I quit FB because of their BS politics. That should be shooting range is my neighbor across the creeks hay field. I get the best of both worlds I get to view a great big beautiful lawn and don't have to mow it 🙂.

My property is mostly woods. I'll be able to shoot 250 to 400 yards across the the peaks of this power line clearing. I'll have to clear some lanes somewhere else to shoot between 50 and 250. I can shoot out to 50 from my deck.

Attachments

• 565022ae.jpg
    565022ae.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 45
Thanks, I quit FB because of their BS politics. That should be shooting range is my neighbor across the creeks hay field. I get the best of both worlds I get to view a great big beautiful lawn and don't have to mow it 🙂.

My property is mostly woods. I'll be able to shoot 250 to 400 yards across the the peaks of this power line clearing. I'll have to clear some lanes somewhere else to shoot between 50 and 250. I can shoot out to 50 from my deck.
I guess you know the first guy to go drink beer with 😎

That is a beautiful place. Wonderful pasture land.

Don’t be afraid to take on house repairs. With the exception of plumbing and electrical, it’s all pretty simple work. (I grew up in a construction family, so it’s second nature to me. I understand why folks have apprehension about major home repair.). Get a couple books on carpentry, read up on load capacity of the lumber of your choice, and get to work. Start on a small project to build confidence. Remember that most framing is rectangles or triangles; 8th grade geometry. A rafter book has all the numbers for your convenience. So does a framing square, but they are a little harder for a novice to decode. Hire plumbing (including propane or natural gas) and electrical done till you master the basics; the consequences of errors in those two areas are high.

Good contractors are hard to come by. They usually have all the work they want, except during a big recession. That may work in your favor real soon.
Thanks I'm quite capable of most home carpentry, electrical and plumbing. I'm rewiring much of the house and running Propane lines. I'm quite capable with tools but what I lack is years of experience, muscle and special tools. I'm talented enough I can safely muddle through anything but I'd rather not.

You got a good one! Here's some more reassurance on the RT6- I got one a few months ago and absolutely love it. Great optic for the $$. I've drug mine through the desert coyote hunting, climbed fences, gone through brush, dropped it. Solid as a rock.

Reactions: hkguns and RMS65
That rt6 will serve you well. As mentioned above don't go HAM on the battery compartment.

Welcome to the rural way of life . We live remotely in south east missouri right In the foot hill's of the ozarks . My property is just like your's heavy timber and I would guess you have some steep hill's as well . We are pretty self sufficient we raise chickens , turkey's quail , and rabbit's . We have a nice garden , honey bee's and wild fruit . we grow , produce or harvest about 75% of our food . For every day out ad about use I carry a 4 inch 22lr revolver , it does a fine job on raccoons , possums , and other small vermin . for ugly stuff I have a 16 inch carbine with a aim point pro and a weapon mounted light . Good luck and congratulations on your new life .

Welcome to the rural way of life . We live remotely in south east missouri right In the foot hill's of the ozarks . My property is just like your's heavy timber and I would guess you have some steep hill's as well . We are pretty self sufficient we raise chickens , turkey's quail , and rabbit's . We have a nice garden , honey bee's and wild fruit . we grow , produce or harvest about 75% of our food . For every day out ad about use I carry a 4 inch 22lr revolver , it does a fine job on raccoons , possums , and other small vermin . for ugly stuff I have a 16 inch carbine with a aim point pro and a weapon mounted light . Good luck and congratulations on your new life .
Thank you so much for the welcome message. We're looking to duplicate your lifestyle. We illegally had chickens in our suburban NY neighborhood for the first year of covid. We had to get rid of them when they started to attract hawks. Our neighbor has small dogs and would likely turn us in if he lost one. I can't get out of here fast enough.

Merry Christmas!

Just bought one, not bad for the money.

Decided to buy a 2nd one today while they were running the "SAVE12" code that ends tonight... Plus, I had $93 in PA "Bonus Bucks" so I was able to get the scope, a set of Seekins 34mm rings, and the flip lever for $500... Basically got the scope + tax, and free lever and free Seekins rings. Can't beat that deal! Don't know what I'll put it on yet, but I'll find something. 😂

Thanks. I was shocked when it wasn't a video of someone blowing up their house. 😂 That's what I feel like doing now. I subscribe to the channel now. Thank you.
YW. Another thing you might not be aware of is the ease of installing modern vinyl plank floating floors. I have done 3 (bedroom, bathroom, homebrew fermentation room). Great wood and stone patterns with texture.