• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Recommendations for Hensoldt Spotter 45 vs 60 in the Panhandle

longebow

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2006
Florida
I'm considering dropping the hammer on a Hensoldt Spotter. I live and shoot in the Florida panhandle (member of the K&M/Core/Altus range). I have not had the opportunity to actually look through a Hensoldt Spotter, thus the reason for my open query of the Hide. We have heat and humidity in the summers, and humidity pretty much throughout the year. So, I'm wondering if these conditions will limit the effectiveness of the higher powered 60. I plan on the H32 reticle for spotting purposes. Thank you in advance for your time and thoughtful comments/recommendations.
longebow

I use a 60 a little south of you in the swamp and have never had problems with the humidity that didn't affect every other scope (ie condensation on a cold lens when you first bring it out). If you ever make it south you're welcome to sample mine. Everyone who looks through it says some variation of "jesus fucking christ." The resolution on it is bananas. I can't recall if anyone has the H32 60x ones any more so if the reticle is important to you, you might get stuck with the 45 if you don't already have a source.

I'm considering dropping the hammer on a Hensoldt Spotter. I live and shoot in the Florida panhandle (member of the K&M/Core/Altus range). I have not had the opportunity to actually look through a Hensoldt Spotter, thus the reason for my open query of the Hide. We have heat and humidity in the summers, and humidity pretty much throughout the year. So, I'm wondering if these conditions will limit the effectiveness of the higher powered 60. I plan on the H32 reticle for spotting purposes. Thank you in advance for your time and thoughtful comments/recommendations.
longebow
Have Henny 60, along with NF 82, Vortex Razor 27-60x85 and Razor 11-33x50. Henny resolution and optics are slightly better than NF/Vortex, but not by much.......really splitting hairs, maybe not by your eyes.....truly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......maybe just a "want it to be better cause what it cost" syndrome. If you are going to use the Henny in the real world, consider the lack of warranty from Hensoldt.......German for SHIT. If this is a buy once, cry once, hopefully happy ever after purchase for you, consider the warranty. If you ever break the Henny, you'll cry ever after. Basically, you will be out the purchase price. That will make the NF, and especially the No Questions Vortex, warranties make their glass look magnificent. I got the Henny 60 for "free"....proving there are no free lunches.....with my Barrett MRAD MK-22 Deployment Kit, but pricing everything by piece, still paid full $4330 full tilt for the Henny. Had used friends' Hennys several times, and would never have bought the Henny as a standalone purchase due to price/performance/warranty......German arrogance, lack of service.....didn't even come in a retail package with Hensoldt on it.....just the canvas carry pouch. If one buys a Henny, it is probably a status symbol for them. YMMV. Spend time actually looking through all mentioned scopes before plunking you money down. The more the purchase price brings tears to your eyes, the more you should consider the warranty. If buying the Henny doesn't smart your eyes the first purchase, or the second time, go ahead. If you buy the Henny, be sure to buy the protective case offered by Triad Tactical @ $84.......might avoid that cry forever event.