• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Need recommendations for toys for boys 3yr and 5yr.

Metzger

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2014
I have two nephews aged 3 and 5. I am looking for recommendations on a toy i can get them each. Not being the best uncle I have spent limited time with them, I do know they like trucks and heavy machinery. Under $100 each?

ive got boys 3 and 6... might be able to get holloween costumes on sale right now. they get a shit ton of mileage out of those, year round lol.
but yeah toy trucks and tractors are a staple.
my boys are into legos too i like that they can be creative, they make some neat machinery, that will eat the budget quick...

My 6yo son got his first Captain America costume at 4. It was big then, and he still has it.

Legos are a huge hit: their favorite movie/show has likely been turned into a theme set.

Sports related gear

We support cowboy and Indian, and cop and robber games around here; so the plastic cap guns/badges/bows/etc., are plentiful also.

Reactions: Metzger
Easels. I got twin boys and they love to paint and draw. If it’s got magnets even better.

Toy trucks too since why not.

When my son was that age, he loved anything that could be made in to a play sword... and toward the 5 year old nerf guns

A junior "playbook football" and small nerf basketballs are always a hit in the yard and while hanging out on the living room floor! These are always good secondary gifts. They are pretty inexpensive.

Did you talk to their parents? They might have a better idea than a bunch of internet randos.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
I have two nephews aged 3 and 5. I am looking for recommendations on a toy i can get them each. Not being the best uncle I have spent limited time with them, I do know they like trucks and heavy machinery. Under $100 each?

Hess Christmas trucks

Reactions: greentick
Those magnet tiles nikkeret mentioned are awesome and usually show up in Costco around now way cheaper than normal. Tonka dump truck, some little shovels, and an apology letter with a gift card to the local greenhouse/nursery for their mom.
A basic RCBS reloading… oh right….. yeah….
PVS-…. Dangit…
We just got a bunch of the Tuttle Twins books for our kiddos, and billed our commie government for them as homeschool supplies… which I enjoyed immensely. But our kids have been loving them. Got the little board books, and the longer ones also. Really good, and I am sure they would love story time with you.
Maybe get them tickets to something with you for some fun memories. Local jungle gym/play place, water park, zoo?

This is a terrible place to ask for advice on spending money 😂

Reactions: Alphatreedog
Tonka trucks and a sand box, get them boys outside. No electronic crap!

This. Every kid need dirt they can dig in for no reason whatsoever. If they can’t have dirt then a sand box is awesome. They can even throw sand at each other when they aren’t getting along, then sit together in the sand and settle their differences, unlike people of the sandy side of the world at present.
Trucks,
Nerf,
Kids large and small like magnet stuff on the fridge.

The little guy might like hands on type books or something, Dinosaur, big rigs, flying things etc.
Every boy need some sort of ball at Christmas.

My boys absolutely loved these cheap rocket type things with LED lights on them. You shoot em with a little slingshot and rubber band that come with them. They are cheap but my boys have had a ball with them.
YES! We have a couple sets (what's left) still, and they come out at every campfire!

I'm planning on this for my grandson next year (when he'll be 3):

Got a backyard with some loose soil somewhere or a sandbox? Snow days will be an absolute blast as well.

GUEST_4875e631-af32-4e1c-9f55-ba87c75df88e

biggrin.gif

Works just like their much larger diesel powered brothers, but all muscle operated. Builds incredible coordination and basic machine operation skills.

Guy above appears to be a b0t. But his post is gone now.

Last edited:

I have a 5 year old - a 5 and 6 year old nephews and this is one thing they always play with . Either this or with toy guns playing army or cops and robbers .
But these magna tiles are a huge hit . And in my opinion way cooler than legos .

Last edited:
My 5 year old loves magnetic tiles. He also loves escavotors (got a remote controlled one for Christmas), and he has a yellow construction hat with a orange vest and some road signs that he loves to wear and play with.

My 5 year old loves magnetic tiles. He also loves escavotors (got a remote controlled one for Christmas), and he has a yellow construction hat with an orange vest and some road signs that he loves to wear and play with.
Get him a Spanish-English dictionary…

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath
Trucks, tractors, Lego sets...

My daughter bought her oldest boy a wooden train set at a flea market... I came across a little wooden table designed for it a few weeks later and bought it for him.

I don't think there's a little boy in the western world that doesn't like trains.

Mike

1960ish vintage Tonka trucks.

At my parents house there is 1958 ish vintage fire truck, tanker, 2 pickups (1 with matching trailer and bed cover in tan) horse trailer, picket side trailer, and boat with trailer. All were my dad's when he was young. My sisters and I and all nieces and nephews have played with them. I claim as many as I can.

I’d get them wrist rockets. Let them shoot cork balls

Ohh shoot. Nevermind!

Given their interest in trucks and heavy machinery, you might consider getting them toy construction sets or remote-controlled trucks, which can be both fun and educational. For the 3-year-old, look for something with big, easy-to-handle parts and bright colors. For the 5-year-old, maybe a more complex construction set or a remote-controlled vehicle that can maneuver around obstacles.
Additionally, while it's not directly related to trucks or machinery, you might find this interesting: https://nerfinfo.com/nerf-gun-modding. It could be a fun project to work on together if they ever show interest in nerf guns as they get older, staying within your budget.

I was a toy tractor fanatic when I was a kid. My son suffers the same affliction. He's recently taken a turn towards monster trucks.

My mother has bought several of these Bruder toys for my son. Pretty well made and very detailed. Wish this stuff was around when I was a kid. They won't last as long as the old die cast tractors and the old Tonka stuff but they are cool.

Reactions: LeftyJason
My inlaws bought my 3 year old son a little remote control excavator for Christmas, and he really likes it

Lawn Darts .
Can you still get legit lawn darts anywhere ?

We improvised with bows and arrows when I was a kid. It really got exciting when we moved up to compounds instead of the old fiberglass little brave. 😂