• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need Scope Base & Rings

He Shoot Me

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
No. Cal.
Can any of you tell me the best place/brand to buy a picatinny base and rings for my Remi 700 short action (SPS Varmint 300wsm). I really like those Burris XTR rings, but I'm not sure which base to buy??? I noticed some of them are over a $100, do I really need to spend that much on the Base?

I have the Falcon 5.5-25x 56mm scope and haven't a clue what height of ring I'll need. I thought I would just get the base first then use dowels in 1/4" increments until I figured out how high I needed to go. It's my understanding that the XTR's measure from the top of the base to the bottom of the ring where the scope sit's and starts with the extra low at a 1/4" then goes up a 1/4" at a time between low, med, high, etc.

Edit: I forgot to add, that I plan to shoot out to about 800 yards, do you think I should get one with a 20moa tilt?

Thanks,

-Pat

Re: Need Scope Base & Rings

Pat, email me if you need help. I'm near Oakland. Ditto the rec on the EGW base, and I'd get XTR rings, so you'd be looking at a hundred bucks total.

Ring height depends on base height, scope objective OD, and clearance desired. It's just math. Forget the dowel thing my man, unless you have one handy to whack your lady in the rear end when she gets out of line (or asks you for it).

hill billy,

Thanks a million! I took a look at EGW 20 moa, did a little Google search, read some reviews (all good btw) and made the order. That was exactly what I was looking for!

I'll order the rings just as soon as I figure-out what height I need. I asked a guy at EGW how high the base was on the front side of the receiver, and he said it was .450"

Thanks again guy,

-Pat

Baahaahaahaa!!!!

Right on Nate, and yes I always keep something handy to paddle her ass with.

Okay lets see how close you can get......

.450 base height....56mm bell....30mm tube....head starting to hurt. :)

-Pat

Pat, measure the OD of your scope's objective assembly. Divide by two. Subtract the base height from that. The remainder is the dimension that your rings must be a bit taller than, i.e. height, to clear an objective that size above a barrel the same diameter as your action.

Your barrel has some taper, right? The scope base might have a taper, which means pretty much a wash, right?

So, take the Burris XTR ring height, add one half of the scope tube diameter, and that's the base top to ring centerline dimension you need to compare to the first number computed above.

Ideally, I like about 1/8" clearance between the scope bell and the barrel. Surely not more than 1/4".

Man that's perfect Nate. I'm to hung-over today to figure that out on my own, but you explained it perfectly.

When I get home I'll measure the O.D. of the bell and break-out the ole pencil. (don't have enough fingers and toe's)

Thanks for the explanation,

-Pat

roger that. Be sure to bring that rig to the Sac Valley Shooting Center sometime after you get it together.

Or Livermore, or Chabot, or San Leandro...
wink.gif

Will Do...

I just got the stock yesterday. (B&C Tactical/Medalist w/adjustable cheek and length) Last night, whilst wearing my beer goggles I put the thing together and freaked-out for a moment. The holes weren't even close, almost half of the bolt holes were covered. I then realized that the recoil lug pocket in the stock was a lot wider than the stock recoil lug. So I pulled it apart and this time set it back in pushing the action back as far as I could, and it lined up perfectly. I have to do just a little bit of grinding in the bolt area so the bolt isn't touching, and everything should be fine.

I'll definitely get together with ya at the range. There's another guy from the hide (mattinsacramento) that wants to get together. I'll PM you guys when I get this together and we'll go kill some paper.

-Pat

Update:

I just wanted to share with you good folks my highly technical method of figuring out what height of rings I needed to complete this task.

First off, you must be born with absolutely no patience what-so-ever, then proceed as follows;

#1 Get home after a long day and drink a minimum of 10 beers.

#2 Get pissed-off at yourself for not owning a proper vise, and put together a make shift one from a mix of clothes, books, magazines, and whatever else that's scattered around.

#3 Allow vision to blur before trying to read a tape measure because you have no idea where your girlfriend hid your caliper.

#4 Realize your an idiot, let out the all time classic...FUCK-IT, grab a socket that's 1" tall place it on top of the front of receiver, slap the scope on it and measure the distance between barrel and bell.

#5 Wake up next morning thinking you measured something a little less than a half inch gap with the 1" socket, and come to the hung-over conclusion that if the height of the base is .400 and the XTR Low is a 1/4" that should give me a total of.650" PERFECT! BAAHAAHAAHAA

#6 When ordering rings from Optics Planet be sure to ask them about their 30 day I screwed-up and ordered the wrong rings return policy.

Laughing to hard right now,

-Peace