• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need scope buying advice

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    I want something nicer than the SWFA 3-15X that I've been getting by for the last 5 - 6 years. Mechanically it's fine but it leaves a lot to be desired in image quality

I'm going to call Camera Land tomorrow and would like some more input after reading a bazillion threads here.

My budget is less than $1000. The rifle this scope will go on is a Howa 1500 308 HV chopped to 17" so performance beyond 1000 yards is not important.

So far the choices I see in my price range are the Steiner P-4Xi 4-16X and the Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21X.

My first priority is clarity/crispness/easy on the eyes image. Second priority is rock solid tracking. I can live without a tree reticle and without illumination.

Anything else I should consider within those limits?

Go

I want something nicer than the SWFA 3-15X that I've been getting by for the last 5 - 6 years. Mechanically it's fine but it leaves a lot to be desired in image quality

I'm going to call Camera Land tomorrow and would like some more input after reading a bazillion threads here.

My budget is less than $1000. The rifle this scope will go on is a Howa 1500 308 HV chopped to 17" so performance beyond 1000 yards is not important.

So far the choices I see in my price range are the Steiner P-4Xi 4-16X and the Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21X.

My first priority is clarity/crispness/easy on the eyes image. Second priority is rock solid tracking. I can live without a tree reticle and without illumination.

Anything else I should consider within those limits?

Go

The Steiner 4-16 I had for a bit had some awesome glass. All the reviews of it, including Ilya’s, are very positive. I’m actually considering grabbing another one for a build I have in the works.

You may also like the LRTS line as some will consider it better than the DMR II. I myself can't make that comment as I've never owned the DMR II. But, I do have one LRTS and an LRHS which I think are pretty good and get the job done.

If you can find a second gen Tango 6, it is going to be a helluva lotta glass. I've seen a few times the 3-18 model for sub $1000 here in the PX. This is by far my favorite optic that I've owned and looked through, clarity & bright wise.

Just some thing else you could consider...

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    You may also like the LRTS line as some will consider it better than the DMR II. I myself can't make that comment as I've never owned the DMR II. But, I do have one LRTS and an LRHS which I think are pretty good and get the job done.

If you can find a second gen Tango 6, it is going to be a helluva lotta glass. I've seen a few times the 3-18 model for sub $1000 here in the PX. This is by far my favorite optic that I've owned and looked through, clarity & bright wise.

Just some thing else you could consider...
    I was gonna recommend the LRTS too. I had a 4.5-18, as well as a 3-12, and both were dang good scopes.

I like the gen2 viper pst that I have on my 260. Hard to beat for the money!