• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Shooting Glasses...Which Ones????

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
I had LASIK done last week and am looking for new shooting glasses. Looking fopr recomendations (I always have used my eye glasses so starting from scratch).

Thanks
Pat

Re: Need Shooting Glasses...Which Ones????

I use Oakleys usually except when shooting my bolt gun I don't wear any.

I've been thinking about LASIK too, How's it working for you?

I am just getting to where I can see halfway decent close up. It takes a few days and I will need reading glasses (which I already required) but it is looking good at a distance. May be able to use irons again
smile.gif

Which Oakleys do you use? I looked on their website and was overwhelmed. It looks as if Flakjacket or Halfjacket glasses would work. Interchangeable lenses would be a bonus but I could not figure out how to do a search for "interchangeable lenses" on their website to see what my options were.

Pat

well if you look at oakley the flak jacket is a great choice, id customize it and get the polarized lenses.

another option is smith optics, I have always liked smith optics and the lifetime warranty that comes with them, just the style isnt as nice as the oakleys in my opinion.

http://www.smithoptics.com/Undertow_31_27.html?fl=flase
check out their site see if there is anything you like

Yea I know Oakley has a million frame and lense combinations. I have the Gascans polarized, I use them as my daily sunglasses so I always have them with me.

I had 20/20 vision but because of my job I spend alot of time on a computer which f'ed my eyes up. I don't need glasses to drive according to the DMV but I'd like to get back to 20/20, just worried I'm gonna F'em up again on the computer.

I have used Ranger XL glasses with a variety of lens colours depending on conditions, including clear with AR coating on both sides for low light, in competition for years. Highly recommend them. With these frames you can also get custom prescription lenses ground by optometrists who specialize in serving shooters who will put the optical center where it should be when your head is down and cheek on the comb. The bridge of the Ranger XL's is also adjustable to help facilitate this. Plano, or non-prescription lenses are also available. Most glasses anticipate you needing clear focus with your head up looking straight ahead. Alan Lehman in AZ is a top optometrist for shooters.

Goat do search on here for Rudy Project, we get nice discount I have 2 sets Rydon shooting and newer pair with multiple lenses. I have Oakleys, Maui Jims, the whole gambit.

The Rudy Project system Rocks!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALMAORFE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Oakleys usually except when shooting my bolt gun I don't wear any.

I've been thinking about LASIK too, How's it working for you? </div></div>Its amazing!!! I have better then 20/20 now and love it, and I am over two years in!

Cant go wrong with Oakley's, and if you are military (or know someone who is) they have a great discount program

Oakley M Frame 2.0 with VR28 lens... best for everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.esseyepro.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=ess+eyewear

ESS glasses, very affordable, much more durable than Oakley. Supporter and supplier to our armed forces. </div></div>
Oakley owns and produces ESS. The Oakley lenses cost more because they do more. ESS glasses meet the mil-spec. Oakley's exceed it by a ways.

I should have put a link up for mine as well. Like Arborpro's choice, they are SHOOTING glasses, not tough guy/cool looking glasses that may or may not be suitable for shooting.

http://www.sportsvisions.com/prrangerxl.htm

I don't have vision that needs to be corrected, but if you wear glasses there are shooting optometrists who specialize in grinding lenses for glasses like the Rangers and the Scopz -- with the optical center in the right place.

ALMAORFE said:
I use Oakleys usually except when shooting my bolt gun I don't wear any.

Please use shooting glasses..., Ive shot many thousands of rounds mostly with a bolt gun. when the hot gas blasts you in the face. you'll know you blew a primmer. the only reason you may still see is the glasses. please put them on. that's why I prefer scopz glasses to shoot. you can adjust the nose piece. for shooting prone and you will get no foging like the cool looking glasses.

Revision Sawfly TXP.

I like the ability to add or remove the prescription lens carrier. I'm not ballsy enough to go with LASIK just yet. As long as I can hold a first class medical, it's corrective lenses for me!

Ive been using Oakley Half Jackets for about 4 years, and I really like them. A bunch of people who I shoot with regularly wear Oakley's too.

Very crisp and sharp lenses, many shade options. I THINK they are also ANSI certified.

Mine have held up real well as I'm kinda like the bull in the glass house...

Made in the USA too!

ESS eyewear!!

If anyone needs a discount drop me a PM and I will get u setup!!

I have worn the M frames for at least 7 years and just now switched to the radar range glasses from Oakley. I had a rock get kicked up from the rotor wash of a CH-53 hit me in the lens of my M frame and the only thing it did was put a big nick in my lens. I swear by Oakley's. They have been with me on almost every mission and saved my eyesight more times than I can count.

Chuck

Went witht he Oakley Flak Jackets with a couple of sets of lenses (polarized and VR25) as I could try them on and walk out with a set.

Thanks
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went witht he Oakley Flak Jackets with a couple of sets of lenses (polarized and VR25) as I could try them on and walk out with a set.

Thanks
Pat </div></div>

Good choice, I really like mine especially with the polarized lens'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.revisioneyewear.com/downloads/Hellfly.pdf

</div></div>

Hellfly's rock, and you can swap out the lenses. If not the rest of the Revision Line is top shelf kit.
Revision not only supplies the US Military, they also have some seriously good custom labelled cigars and boxes made to send out to the sand as well.
Revision is good to go!

ps Shaggy, You got the custom Pink lenses din ya? CKA said so
grin.gif

+1 on the Ranger XLs.
Theyre less likely to fog up in our climate than the full wrap-around type of eyewear.

I'd recommend the ESS Crossbow as they seem to fit better than the ICE series glasses.

I went this way so I could add corrective lenses. I do wish they offered something polarized so they would be better in the summer days when the sun is shining.

I've always said that if I get LASIK, the first thing I'm going to do is order an expensive pair of Oakley's.

Oakley's are pretty popular as well as ESS's as they are issued and offer great clarity.

I have used them all both while deployed and for competition shooting and the one that stands out more than another are from Rudy Project USA. Too, they offer a 40% discount to the shooting community and OPENLY promote and support the shooting sports. Oakley does a little, off the record, but Rudy USA has it in their print media, catalogs and back it up with $$$.

Anyways, there's a process for getting the 40% discount. Find what you like on the catalog (www.rudyprojectusa.com) and then when you're ready to order go to e-rudy.com. The discount code is 2alpha. If you can do me a favor and just PM/e-mail me the order number and what you ordered, it helps Rudy USA know that SHOOTERS are buying their glasses.

Take a good look at the Rudy Rydon's and specifically the shooter's pack. You can get a frame and 3-4 sets of lenses. They are super adjustable too. You can adjust the ear pieces, nose pieces, etc. I started using Rudy in 1998 when I took up 3-Gun and needed glasses that I could adjust the nosepiece when shooting prone with the rifle (sit higher on my face) and then adjust for a run & gun stage (wanted them to sit lower).

They are super light and have all the ballistic resistance that others do. Also available are automatic tinting of the lenses as well as Rx cut in to the lenses (but you don't need that any more).

Hope that helps.

Rich

Rich, are you a dealer for Rudy or something. I just ask cuz I have been looking at the Zyon but wasnt sure they would work so well for shooting. I have a pretty tight budget and need a pair of glasses to use for driving and stuff to. These just appeal more to me then the Rydon's

Im currently wearing RX Oakleys, I looked into the Rudy Project and I liked the fact that I could get multiple lensesand an RX insert and could change back and forth on the different lenses but didnt have to have the RX in the lense itself. Draw back to the Rudy Project glasses was that with the RX insert they sit too far off my face and I was seeing the lens and it was distracting to me.

I can change the lenses on my Oakleys to the various colors and such but they wont have the RX in them and I would have to wear contacts.

I think that each system has its merits, right now for me it was Oakleys.