• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need "short" barrel 6.5 Creedmoor load recommendations

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
After carrying my Tikka CTR with 24" barrel around the Wisconsin deer woods this year, I decided that something shorter and lighter would be a better tool for my needs. I sent it off to LRI and had the barrel shortened to 19 inches, fluted and re-threaded for a future suppressor. Now I need some advice on 6.5 Creedmoor bullet weight and power for a short barrel rifle. I'm not really asking for specific load data; rather good bullet weights and powder combinations that would create a good hunting combo for whitetails out to 400-500 yards. I do occasionally shoot out to 1000 yards on targets but hunting is the priority. To be more specific, I just bought 8# of Reloder 16 as I had good accuracy and speed results with that (before the barrel was shortened) using Berger 140 grain VLD's. Will the RL16 and Berger 140 grain still be a good choice for a short barrel or should I try to sell the powder before I open it? What about the RL16 and a 130 grain Berger VLD? I prefer to hear from those with real world experience rather than theory! Thanks in advance.

Following . I’m thinking I’ll probably take my 6.5 ctr from 24 to 19 or 18. Occasional steel shooting and done hunting suppressed

Nosler 129 ABLR might be an option if accurate in your gun. Pretty low velocity threshold and still perform at distance, so it is said. Have them loaded in Grendel, but haven’t tagged anything yet. Two weeks left in season. A bit pricey, but if hunting primary objective, an alternative choice.

Nosler 129 ABLR might be an option if accurate in your gun. Pretty low velocity threshold and still perform at distance, so it is said. Have them loaded in Grendel, but haven’t tagged anything yet. Two weeks left in season. A bit pricey, but if hunting primary objective, an alternative choice.
My brother shoots the ABLR in his 308 and he likes them after taking several deer with them. That being said, when we shoot targets to 1000 yards, he has had issues beyond 900 yards. At 900 yards he is fairly consistent but at 1000 something goes amiss. As per the "math", he is above the speed of sound by a decent margin so he can't quite figure out what's going on. I've looked at every forum I could find that discusses Berger vs. ABLR and it seems to be a toss up between pro Berger and pro ABLR. I have been wavering back and forth but think I'm going to stick with the Berger. I know those shot well before I shortened the barrel so I think I'll stick with something I know.

Following . I’m thinking I’ll probably take my 6.5 ctr from 24 to 19 or 18. Occasional steel shooting and done hunting suppressed
FYI: There is a post on line about 6.5 CM velocity cutting the barrel down an inch at a time. I went with 19 inches as there seemed to be a significant drop in velocity between 18 and 19 inches for both 120 and 140 grain bullets. 19 inches seems to me to be a good balance between portability and velocity. Of course, that could be different in each rifle but I had to start somewhere. Now if we could just get some guys to weigh in with 'real world' powder and bullet weight experience :)

FYI: There is a post on line about 6.5 CM velocity cutting the barrel down an inch at a time. I went with 19 inches as there seemed to be a significant drop in velocity between 18 and 19 inches for both 120 and 140 grain bullets. 19 inches seems to me to be a good balance between portability and velocity. Of course, that could be different in each rifle but I had to start somewhere. Now if we could just get some guys to weigh in with 'real world' powder and bullet weight experience :)

Cool I’ll check it out. I have a tbac cb7 so 19” wouldn’t be too bad. My dad has a Tikka CTR 20” which I’m going to try the tbac on and see how it balances but when the time comes for me to chop I’m just going to try some factory 140’s or 130’s and go from there if No one has spoken. I’m hunting in AL, whitetails and hogs, and they seem to be less picky than shooting steel/paper. I also have plenty of hunting rifles so this is more of a for fun/ want rather than need. Hopefully people have done this before though and have some answers!

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
There’s a gentleman in the Fix thread that shoots his 16.5 inch Fix with a 140grn ELD-M over 42.8 of H4350 and it goes 2665 with Hornady Brass.

There’s a gentleman in the Fix thread that shoots his 16.5 inch Fix with a 140grn ELD-M over 42.8 of H4350 and it goes 2665 with Hornady Brass.
That's encouraging news. I got about 100 fps faster out of RL16 than I did with H4350 (24 inch barrel) so if he gets 2665 out of a 16.6 inch barrel, in theory I should be able to get at least 2775 out of my 19 inch barrel. If I could do that, I would be elated.

I’d be surprised if you were less than 2700. I’ve got 16.5 proof carbon barrel being chambered right now. I’m the same boat trying to find the best power for it. I’ve read a lot and consensus seems to be H4350 or Varget

I’d be surprised if you were less than 2700. I’ve got 16.5 proof carbon barrel being chambered right now. I’m the same boat trying to find the best power for it. I’ve read a lot and consensus seems to be H4350 or Varget
I've heard the same about Varget for 130 grain or less bullets. Haven't heard much on that for 140 grain- Have you? I played with H4350 enough to go through a couple pounds (24 inch barrel) and I just couldn't find a node that produced both good groups and low SD at the same time. Changed to RL16 and it was like night and day. A lot of people like H4350 so it just must have been my particular rifle but I about pulled my hair out!

Reactions: jwhjwh54
Honestly the more I’ve read, the more I realized that it seems like it’s rifle harmonics specific. Meaning one rifle crushes it with varget and another does better with RL16. Ive decided to quit chasing other’s results and focus on my own

Reactions: jwhjwh54
Honestly the more I’ve read, the more I realized that it seems like it’s rifle harmonics specific. Meaning one rifle crushes it with varget and another does better with RL16. Ive decided to quit chasing other’s results and focus on my own
Yes, I'm sure that's true. Even rifles of the same model will get different results.

Yes, I'm sure that's true. Even rifles of the same model will get different results.

If you get out and get some shots out of the 19” and can get some FPS results and post, that’d be awesome. I’ve got a couple more weekends of deer hunting down here then I’m chopping mine to either 19 or 20 and going to start with factory 140’s,then 140’s with h4350,then rl 16 and will post results but that’ll be in feb

If you get out and get some shots out of the 19” and can get some FPS results and post, that’d be awesome. I’ve got a couple more weekends of deer hunting down here then I’m chopping mine to either 19 or 20 and going to start with factory 140’s,then 140’s with h4350,then rl 16 and will post results but that’ll be in feb
I'll give you what info I can. I had ear surgery and am supposed to go back to the Dr. on Wednesday to see if I can resume 'activity' (shoot). If so, hopefully will get out this weekend. That being said, I worked up the load when it was warmer so that is the data that I have. Now that it's colder, it may not be apples to apples but will share what I learn.

I did make it out to shoot a half a dozen shots (all that I had left before starting a new powder lot). I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. With my 24 inch barrel and these loads (Reloder 16 and 140 grain Berger VLD) I was getting an average velocity of 2804 fps. With these same loads and 19 inch barrel, I got an average of 2712. Also bear in mind that I haven't run anything across a chronograph since late August and it was 82 degrees when it shot 2804. Today it was 25 degrees. Reloder 16 is supposed to be pretty temp stable but that is a 52 degree difference and I still lost only 92 FPS by cutting off 5 inches. I know that many people want every last foot of velocity that they can get but given how much more compact and handy the rifle is now, I personally consider a 92 FPS loss an acceptable trade off.

It’s going to be 25 in nashville on Sunday. I’ve got a new Swarovski to sight in on my shorty 7mm-08 so should be shooting in the cold as well.

sounds like 19” will be good to go on the ctr. My magneto speed came In today so will get some numbers once I cut it too

Any got load data for 16.5in 6.5cm shooting 140eldm? What powder and grains? Using Hornady brass and LRP

Any got load data for 16.5in 6.5cm shooting 140eldm? What powder and grains? Using Hornady brass and LRP

I had good luck with 42.5 rl 16 . Just shot out of my 19” barrel today and was getting 2750 or so with 140gr eldm . Im gonna cut to 16.5 and use that with 130gr eldm. I got 2800+ with the 130 grain bullets today.

43.5 I about blew up the primer

I settled on 43.0 grains of RL16 with CCI BR primer, Hornady brass and Berger VLD 140. Averaged 2644 fps. No pressure signs there in my 19 inch barreled Tikka. I realize that this isn't a smoking load but I can stay supersonic past 1000 yards and it's accurate in my rifle so I'm good to go...... I'm assuming that you know this but in case you don't- every rifle is different so work up to any load.

I'll give it one more try I guess. We tried everything from 41.8 up to 43 of RL 16 and 140 eldm but couldn't get better than 3/4 moa, maybe 1/2 moa on a couple groups. Los of unburned powder in my suppressor so maybe I try something faster, not sure really