• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some advice from other gun guys

lightsareout

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
Clarksville, TN
I don't want to turn this into a whole flame war of everyone should conceal carry to protect their family blah blah...

I own several guns, some i could never part with because of how I use them or the mean a lot to me because my dad gave them to me. I'm starting to get more into long range shooting with my 700 .308. It shoots alright but I really need to get a new scope on it and I really want to start reloading for it. My wife and I are expecting our first baby in June so my gun funds have turned to a trickle as we start to save up money. I really enjoy shooting the .308 at the range more than my .22lr or my 9mm Glock.

I got the Glock for use at the range and for protection if it was ever needed (WI finally has conceal carry).

I'm thinking about selling the glock and my 22 to fund a new scope for the 700 and to start building up some reloading equipment. The 700 will be used at the range (lots of practice) and coyote and deer hunting.

The range I shoot at around here is not really hand gun friendly which is why I don't get too excited about going out to shoot it. I maybe put 400 rounds through it in the year that I've owned it.

If you were in my shoes; would you sell the two guns to focus improving the 700? Or keep the glock around for that just in case I need to protect my family.

Re: Need some advice from other gun guys

bet one could defend his family with a rem 700 if he had to, jus sayin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bet one could defend his family with a rem 700 if he had to, jus sayin </div></div>

No doubt, right now the glock spends each night in the nightstand next to me, but nothing that one of my shotguns couldn't do.

Thing i'm torn on is its the only hand gun I own, but at the same time the gun I use the least.

If I were in your shoes. I would try to keep them and save up. It is going to take longer to get your new scope. But I have never liked selling firearms. I say keep the handgun since its your only one. If you have other 22's maybe sell that...

My rule:
I will not sell a gun unless immediately replacing it with another. I will save my money to purchase what I want even if it means delaying the purchase. I have a sold a gun to buy another gun but refuse to sell a gun to buy or fund something other than a gun.

My choice for home defense is a shotgun but it's a bit tought to carry and conceal it so I say keep the pistol.

I've sold a lot of guns in the past and now regret selling every single one of them.

I've had to part with some toys over my life but I have a safe full of rifles...even though I don't shoot many of them now.

My .243 - thought about selling that - then I fondled it.
My .308 - have given SERIOUS thought about selling it. But I see my A5 stock is close to arriving LOL.

My Kimber I might because I have 4 other handguns that can take it's place and I want a Springfield.

Ar- Nope, too much fun.

Shotgun - heck no.

See where I'm going - save your pennies and keep the others.

When you decide you don't want a gun, sell it because you want to, not because you need the money.

I sold and traded a few guns, every one of them was a regret. No more, I have too many kids and grandkids I can sell into slavery before I get to the point I have to see guns.

Used Glocks are going for the mid $400.00s-low $500.00s here. The glass you choose could be in that range or considerably more.

I think you should keep it, especially if your wife can operate it, and save for the glass you want.

You have a Glock, a 22 and a Remington 700 all fully functional. Save your money and buy a better scope when you can afford one. There are some really great deals in the optics section very often. You don't need a Nightforce to shoot long range. You also don't need high magnification and lots of bells and whistles. You can buy a used 10x Mark4 very reasonable and would be hard pressed to find a more durable piece of glass.

I might have to lay down...........sell a gun?

I might have to be out of organs before I sell a firearm! I hear them folks in WI are a little off
wink.gif

Just kidding (kinda), save your money, buy used in the optics section.

I'm with "High Binder" and "KraigWY"...I've sold a lot of guns too and have regreted every sale, looking back that is.

I say save the cash up and add to your collection/addiction.