• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some advice on a load

sig2009

Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
FL
Loaded up and shot some 147gn ELDM. Got some pretty low SD/ES numbers on a few. And yes I know it was only 3 shots at 100 yards. All loaded to 2.800 oal. I plan on loading 10 of the 40.8gn load taking it out to 300 yds. Which loads do you think I should play with the seating depth? The 40.4gn load had the lowest SD 1/ES 2.

thumbnail_20211230_161519_resized.jpg

If it were me, I'd play with your 40.6 load. But it also depends on what you want to do with it. I know some F-class shooters that dont care at all about ES or SD as long as their groups are tight. I guess that's the benefit of loading for one match on one day in one environment with a barrel tuner permanently installed on your barrel. But that's not how I shoot. I pay attention to ES and SD because I load when I have time and box the ammo for use all year long. That 40.6 load of yours shows what appears to be the least vertical stringing, something I look for when I develop a load. A SD of 7 is nothing I'd look sideways at, either.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
If it were me, I'd play with your 40.6 load. But it also depends on what you want to do with it. I know some F-class shooters that dont care at all about ES or SD as long as their groups are tight. I guess that's the benefit of loading for one match on one day in one environment with a barrel tuner permanently installed on your barrel. But that's not how I shoot. I pay attention to ES and SD because I load when I have time and box the ammo for use all year long. That 40.6 load of yours shows what appears to be the least vertical stringing, something I look for when I develop a load. A SD of 7 is nothing I'd look sideways at, either.
I certainty will play with that one with seating depth.

Just curious why you chose 40.6, least vertical stringing and low ES? If you look at POI compared to 40.4 and 40.8 its significantly different, meaning a very narrow window on consistency.

If I were looking at potential loads for further testing, I might make the assumption that "maybe" I pulled a shot at 41.2. That would make the entire range of 40.8 to 41.6 at nearly the same POI for each group. Pick something in the upper middle like maybe 41.4 and play with seating depth.

Just curious why you chose 40.6, least vertical stringing and low ES? If you look at POI compared to 40.4 and 40.8 its significantly different, meaning a very narrow window on consistency.

If I were looking at potential loads for further testing, I might make the assumption that "maybe" I pulled a shot at 41.2. That would make the entire range of 40.8 to 41.6 at nearly the same POI for each group. Pick something in the upper middle like maybe 41.4 and play with seating depth.

Somehow I overlooked the 40.8 load - its a good contender, too if you can get the SD/ES down a tad (maybe look for something between the .6/.8 load?). But my reasons remain the same: Less vertical stringing. As I understand it, while barrels resonate in an oblong fashion, vertical stringing is where nodes and antinodes are most evident. The rifle's center of gravity is generally below the bore axis, so under recoil the bulk of the force is exerted upward, causing a vertical string. In my experience chasing the vertical resonance tends to reduce the horizontal as well. I'm never the person to say what I have learned is law or better than anyone else's experience, but that's what I've come to understand and practice.

I’d wager you have a good load window ranging in the 40.9-41.3 charge range. I wouldn’t count my chickens based on SD/ES from any 3 round group. I’d bet if you loaded any from the window I mentioned, you’d have good results, and then I’d play with the one your most happy with at whatever distance you decide to test them beyond 100.

Reactions: Doom
How fast do you want to run?

Find a charge that gets you there and do a seating depth test. Done.

Somehow I overlooked the 40.8 load - its a good contender, too if you can get the SD/ES down a tad (maybe look for something between the .6/.8 load?). But my reasons remain the same: Less vertical stringing. As I understand it, while barrels resonate in an oblong fashion, vertical stringing is where nodes and antinodes are most evident. The rifle's center of gravity is generally below the bore axis, so under recoil the bulk of the force is exerted upward, causing a vertical string. In my experience chasing the vertical resonance tends to reduce the horizontal as well. I'm never the person to say what I have learned is law or better than anyone else's experience, but that's what I've come to understand and practice.
Well the 40.8 load was 3 thru the same hole.

I’d wager you have a good load window ranging in the 40.9-41.3 charge range. I wouldn’t count my chickens based on SD/ES from any 3 round group. I’d bet if you loaded any from the window I mentioned, you’d have good results, and then I’d play with the one your most happy with at whatever distance you decide to test them beyond 100.
I can go out to 600 and 1000 very soon.

I’ll throw my hat in the ring and stir the pot. I like the 41.6 load as it’s plenty accurate and I like the speed. The ES isn’t the magical single digit, but I’d try it again and play around with seating depth a bit. If the vertical exposes it’s ugly head at distance, you have some other good loads to fall back on. Good luck and keep us posted.