• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need some advice on a MK262 substitute

RoverG79

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2007
Madison, MS
I am sitting on a ton of M885 but can't get any MK262. I am thinking about buying some bullets and trying my hand at reloading.

I can get some bullets shipped here commercially. I can get the equipment to reload sent as well. Can I load up a MK262 substitute using the M885 brass, M885 powder, and 77 SMK bullets.

Any advice would be helpful. I reloaded shotgun shells when I was young, had a 1 day block of instruction in a course, but I consider myself untrained in these matters.

Thanks

Re: need some advice on a MK262 substitute

Thanks, I checked that out. The question I really have is about reusing the M855 powder.

Without knowing what the powder is, and it is in all probability a non-canister powder lot, you would be just speculating and experimenting blindly.

If you were an experienced handloader maybe, but as a newbie stick to published loads, and powder.

IMHO, and YMMV

Only research on your part will answer this.
I'd bet few have gone that path to give you real answers.
Find the closest commercially available equivalent, study loads for the equivalent propellant.
By some 77 SMK's w/cannelure.
Test some work up loads.
I doubt that the propellant will come close to matching mk-262 velocities as they are hard to achieve safely with any propellant.
Tac, and BLC-2 seem to be able to get the closest in my testing.
Both are ball powders with temp sensitivity which I'm not super fond of.

Looks like M855 uses 26 grams of WC844...now I guess I need to search for a recipe using WC844 and 77 SMK's

WC844 is a non commercial powder similar, but not identical in burning rate to H335, some lots may be faster, some slower, so start your load workup there. You can weigh the powder in your rounds to see if that lot is on the fast or slow side. A chrono would be helpful here.

It can be used to drive the 77SMK, but won't reach Mk262 velocity...about 2650 fps is max.

MK262 is loaded hot for military purposes, there is no point running a weapon that hot trying to duplicate it for casual shooting.

TC

Thanks guys...that answered it...I'll post the results when I get my stuff.

When you run out of powder try this...BUT WORK UP!!
Lake City '11 brass
CCI #41 primer
IMR 8208XBR 24 grains
77 grain Sierra Matchking
2.26" COAL
18" WOA 1:7
2773 FPS