• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some advice on should i get a AR10T?

dannyh

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2006
Dunlap,TN
I am wanting for what ever reason a AR10T off and on for long time and keep on coming to conclusion they are not as accurate and take some to get use to shoot well and so on. But I keep coming up wanting on every now and then. I am at that fork in the road now again. The deal is I have no cash and put up my ps90 for sell or trade and had no bites then I had a guy offer a rra ar15 ss 16" wylde chamber 1/8 twist with a new 516 eotech which something i really been needing to get also no cash though to get one and also comes with another mega lower with all internal parts no syock. All tight fit with that upper. 200 rds fired in that upper. The rra has a 9" troy free float rail you know with the rails all around it. I really like this trade offer and can sbr one of them. I own a colt leo lower with a 16" upper and wanted a sbr built one also. No cash flow. Then out the blue got a bite someone wanting to buy my ps90 and we agreed on price not much less then what I was asking so now I got a chance for a ar10t. Or can get something else. Coming up with more cash will be the hard part though.
If I sold it i would have almost 1700.00 left to work with. I can use another NF scope to put on my AR50 but the way everything is going like to get more guns.

I really need to know is it worth buying and setting up a ar10t? I hate to get one and not like them as i never shot one. i do like the ar15s. I really like to have one of those military contract 2200 24" ar10t but they probably be gone before I could get one and the price is kinda high. Suggestions? Opinions would greatly be appreciated.

I have read all I can and asked questions on the ar10T. i know they are hit and miss in accuracy but I do not know how everyone feels about the recoil of them. Did most pickup and get accurate with them quickly or did it take a lot of rounds down range to master the gun only to not come close to accuracy of bolt guns? I have not read much on the 300rsaum upper and like to know about those even though they do not make them anymore.

I own pss 308 and its my most accurate rifle group wise and own a FN 308 that is close but heavier gun but it stays there after many rds down range unlike a pss. I got a rem 700 sendero 300 mag and a pss stock for it i have not put together nor scoped yet. I do like aic stock from holding but never shot one and thought of it on a pss 308 and maybe even 300mag. I know they are heavy. I can shoot standing pss due to light weight no problem but fn is really hard on me to to its just heavy period. I just wanted some good advise from you ar10t owners before I proceed on which deal to go with. The cash talks and plenty of options what to do with it and the ar15's trade is very appealing. I am very much into accuracy.

I don't know what factory ammo ar10t likes over all? I am intrigued on the 6.5 grendal but got to reload for it and not sure if its loved all that much for the ar15 platform. Another caliber might not be bad idea.

Re: Need some advice on should i get a AR10T?

I'm not sure whether you felt like typing or really wanted opinions. You've said you've read everything there was about the AR10T and asked all the questions, but how about shooting one to see if you like it? One thing's for sure, in this economy I'd avoid taking trades you don't really want 'cause you may have to hold onto them for a while or take a hit when selling.

I do not know anyone in my area that has one. I would like to shoot one. Sorry for the long wind just had to get it out. If I had traded I would keep them and would be at sqaure one. I do own one ar15 right now. I think i will take the cash and run and see if i will find what i want. I still would like to get everyone who owns one there thoughts on getting one or if there was any regrets or anything and accuracy input. i know most gets around .75" avg i think some better and some worse. There was one in my sniper school that would not hold 1 moa the entire time. So don't know if it was ammo, shooter, or the barrel. I kinda hate to go the build route the way everything is right now. I would rather buy a factory ar10t 24".

Yeah it does seem the AR10T is a hit or miss but mostly hits though. I picked the notorious carbine version so It would be easier to pull out of my truck. With 168 SMKs it does 1/4", and functions flawlessly but what seems only with 168g and up rounds. My buddies and myself are all bolt action guys but i just had to jump on the bandwagon and get an autoloading. I only use it when messing around on top of the bluffs for quicker follow ups than my buddies. But if I got a good offer id sell it. But in all…id recommend one.

Depends on how you build them. This DPMS will shoot sub MOA and I can take it reliably out past 1000 with 180gr FGMM BTHP's

Don't worry about whether or not you can build an accurate one. Worry about feeding it once you get it built.
They're a LOT of fun.

DPMS308-1.jpg

I am sitting on a good amount of fed 168 gr match ammo that I bought before all the prices went up. No issues there. I am seriouslly considering a gap ar10 build now that its reachable for me but there are not taking orders right now.

I'll let you know if it's worth $2200.00 when I receive mine next week. I wonder what extra testing Armalite did for these military contract AR10 T's?

I was considering the Larue myself but Mark is not giving guarantees on delivery times because of the gun craze.

JPCactus, was that 1/4 MOA two shot group? Haha! Just bustin your balls...

I emailed them today and they said all they had left were the 20" ones. The guy ask them and they would not tell him what the extra test were on the military ones. I wonder if they are really even more accurate at all. I wonder if there were tighter specs in certain areas? Rainers did not think they will get any more as it was a one time buy they did. I don't know if they had control feed or not but doubt it. Did you order a 24" or 20"? I am interested in to see how yours turns out.

I could have ordered a 24" but opted for the 20" instead. I dont think I will be loosing much velocity and I reload so it's easy to compensate for that. Also it will be a replacement for my SPS Tac so a 20" is going to be less cumbersome when I take it hog hunting with my buddies.

I posted the question about the extra features and testing done on these rifles on Armalites Industry forum at Arfcom. Hopefully they will reply.

My AR-10T is sub-MOA, and loves Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr.

However, I would not say it shoots MORE accurately than bolt guns (in my experience). So if you are thinking that you would not be satisfied with accuracy that is worse than a bolt gun, then save your money.

But I would say if you are OK with <1 MOA accuracy, a heavier weight (the AR-10T is heavy), I second Emergencynrse's comment that they are a LOT of fun to shoot!

My AR-10T is really accurate, it has shot submoa with everything I have fed it. I would call this rifle a solid 3/4 MOA rifle with match ammo. That's pretty damned accurate for a stock gas gun if you ask me. Get the AR-10, you won't be disappointed. It sounds like it's an itch that you need to scratch...

Prepare yourself for some trial and error. Every single AR10 that I have owned (3 Armalite, 2 Eagle) has had something that needed to be worked on or changed. The first best thing you can do is to make sure that the mags are from the Armalite mag body jig. The placement of the hole is very important, the bolt hold open plunger is very important, the mag feed lips are very important... etc. etc. as well as polishing the feed ramps.

The extractor and ejector are huge as well. If these are not functional, it will piss you off super quick. I mostly had issues with the extractor though. I ended up swapping out 3 springs and buffers on the last one that I owned. I gave up on the springs and made my own to get it to finally function correctly when I was going for a shoot with my buddies. If you get to that point, I will be glad to go over in detail what I did to make it far more reliable than factory stuff.

As what was said before, don't get hung up on 1/4" MOA with this setup. Yeah, you can get lucky and get one that is sub-MOA, but you will have to do YOUR part super consistant and do some serious trigger work (I do all of my own trigger modes) to achieve anything close. You will want to make sure that the weapon functions reliably first and foremost.

DK

Bravo2, here's Armalite response to my question.

"The additional testing was to tune the accuracy as best as was possible and to go through each of them with a fine tooth comb to insure perfect function and reliability. Not to say that we don't do this for our other rifles here, we just went over them again to insure that our first testing was confirmed and that we didn't miss anything.

TR"

i myself can only afford to build and feed one precision rifle right now, what i have is a .308 bolt gun. i dont know about the 10T but after shooting a couple gap ar10s, if i won the lotto tommorow i would never buy another bolt .308. the gap ar10s will do everything my bolt gun does...better. btw from my experience with the ar10 i wouldnt go longer than 20" on the barrel.

I have started building an AR-10, along with an AR-15 (before banned here in Kalifornia). But, I admit I have reservations about the AR-10. Read Glen Zediker's book, "The Competitive AR15", and you would think the AR-10 is the biggest headache ever. On top of that, it is expensive to build, expensive to shoot, and from I read, needs tuning and fussing with to make run right. Still, I want the thing, for no rational reason. Is it ever "rational"? One part of me wants to build the biggest, baddest, most evil looking gun so I can thumb my nose at Kalifornia lawmakers in as big a way as possible.

I have $1000 in parts now, and those are just five, of which three are magazines. The other two are a stripped Armalite upper and a Noveske N6 lower (found sitting in a store for sale). Lots more money needed to make this thing go boom. Not sure about the AR-10, seems like an 6.5 Grendel AR-15 will damn near do as well, and pass the .308 at 700 yards on out. But, it won't have the Terminator look and feel of the AR-10.

- Phil