• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision need some advice

matthew314

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2008
Minnesota
Hey guys been saving my pennies now for awhile and plan to save longer, but i would like to start finding devices that fit my needs. I would like to get some sort of clip on sight to use with my ior 3.5-18 I just picked up. I will be using it for hunting only so having to use an additional IR light is not a problem. It will be used for winter coyote hunting with snow cover and moonlight so ambient light should not be a problem there but temperatures will be below freezing if that matters. My shots could be as far as 400 yards but 100 to 200 will be more likely. Would a pvs 14 work with an ior out to those ranges or would a front clip on be better. Would be open to getting a dedicated scope but would like to find a clip on. Also is there would waiting a year or 2 be beneficial things are getting somewhat cheaper and I hear there are a lot of new things coming out. 3,000 or more dollars is a lot to spend and I would like to get it right the first time.

Re: need some advice

What caliber are you shooting since the PVS 14 only handles 5.56 when weapon mounted?

helmet mounted PVS14 and a laser out to about ~225 yards with practice with all calibers(helmet mount).

Check out this thread below for a clip on that you can use in front of a day optic that looks like(based on little preliminary info) it will get you out to 400 and will be somewhere around $5K(again preliminary).

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3066242&page=2

Actual performance of any NV when used with a day optic will vary depending on the quality of the optics of your day unit.

Re: need some advice

I forgot about the recoil limitations of the pvs so that is probably out. My day optic is an ior so the glass quality should be decent to good. I have read about the new wasp unit and have been following it but 5000+ may be a little out of budget unless it truly is the best bang for the buck deal. I was hoping there would be a unit for a little less that I could use with an IR ilumminator like the torch pro out to 400 yards.