• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need some Ballistic data help with new .308 factory rounds

SOE_technician

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2013
Boro/Nash
Hello SH,

So I am not reloading yet and so I am in the process of seeing what rounds are best in my Savage 10 fcp-sr W/5r rifling with a 22 in, 1:11.25 twist in .308.
I have a few different ammunitions I am going to compare a bit and gather as much data as possible and hope to draw a conclusion on what factory round performs best for me.

I have Hornady Match 168 grain BTHP and have a full ballistic card out to 1000 yards on it and have some data already.
Next, is Federal Gold Medal match 175 SMK BTHP and found the data on it to 1000 yards
However I also wanted to try the Black Hills Gold Match 178 grain Hornady AMAX and I have a box but as many of you know I'm sure the box gives no velocities or figures for me to being to make a table to test. I don't currently have a chronograph so I figured many of you probably already could give me some approximation numbers to go by or tell me where to find them . Just the factory data , thanks everyone.

I would guess between all three, given the barrel length somewhere close to 2600-2640 fps., +-

I would guess between all three, given the barrel length somewhere close to 2600-2640 fps., +-

Yea pretty much what i am guessing. But the bullet drop between 165 to the 175 to the 178 will be much different in 500+ yds so just wondering if anyone had soe data already so i could make a spread sheet and least have a decent hypothesis.

There are enough variables that enter into this from rifle to rifle that the best case, if available, would be to shoot these rounds with your own rig at distance and make your own chart. Even temperature changes from day to day will change the impact of your rounds. All we can do for you is give you close guesses based on our experiences with our rigs. My rig, back when I was using factory bullets supplied by Remington was 17moa at 600 and 39 moa at 1000yds. and 175gr. match. This may not mean a thing to you and your rig, but it should get you on paper.

+ 1 to DFOOSKING
I use only 308w factory loads (the reloading is forbidden) with JBM ballistis and streelok on my phone works just fine until 1000m .

Best

Hello SH,

...so I figured many of you probably already could give me some approximation numbers to go by or tell me where to find them . Just the factory data , thanks everyone.

Welcome to the SH Forum.

Black Hills performance data can be found at

Link to Black Hills Ammunition

Click on "BLACK HILLS GOLD/CALIBERS" on the left side of the page and then use their triangular scroll button to scroll down to your load.

I hope this helps. By the way, where is Boro/Nash?

Last edited: