• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some edjumacatin' OBR/ Trijicon

Strive4More

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
Crestview, FL
A good buddy of mine just picked up a 20' OBR with the A2 stock (soon to be replaced with a PRS) on it he mounted a 2.5-10x56 Trijicon MOA mildot. Due to the 56mm bell diameter he had to use som TALL rings. When we finally got it zeroed it took every click of elevation plus holding ~ 1 Mil on the reticle. Now I've read that the OBRs have 20 MOA built into the rail. Could this be causing the problem? Does the Trijicon lack enough elevation adjustment? Does having that big of a scope mounted that high negate the need to use a 20 MOA base? Replace the scope? Reverse mount another 20 MOA base? Scrap it all and get a GAP10? (haha just kidding on the last one!)

~Strive

Re: Need some edjumacatin' OBR/ Trijicon

I assume you are talking about this scope:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...lat&fpart=1
The specs say it has 60 MOA adjustment range. So between the 20 MOA cant of the OBR and the fairly small elevation adjustment range, you are topped out.
What range is it zeroed at?
His options are to live with what he has now, get a canted mount and reverse it, get adjustable rings (like Barrett's Adjustable Rings), or get a scope with more elevation adjustment.

That's what I figured. But still ~34" adjustment just to zero a rifle?

haha yeah the infamous 100 MOA adjustment of the NF would fix the problem!He's a bit weary of dropping another $2500 after he's put $5k into the project already. I think I've got him convinced to pick up a Bushnell HDMR with the GAP2 reticle

What distance shooting does he realistically expect to see? It sounds like he physically limited to about a ~300yd zero as the scope is mounted now.

If your friend can live with his current zero and will be doing long range shooting, then he will have an additional 60 MOA of elevation which would take him well beyond 1000yds.

However, if he isn't going to be shooting at ranges that need 40+ MOA of elevation, the easiest fix would be to just get a 20 MOA mount and reverse it. Using the Larue LT112, that would cost him between $200-$250 depending on whether he wanted a quick detach option or not.

Now if he can swing the cost of getting another scope, that is what I would suggest. A used NXS 3.5-15 or 5.5-22 can be found in the $1300 range. The bushnell HDMR is also a good scope for the money.

Thanks for all the help guys. I talked him into the Bushnell HDMR and he currently has it on order. Ive already got some rings for it so hopefully we'll have another range report up here soon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strive4More</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help guys. I talked him into the Bushnell HDMR and he currently has it on order. Ive already got some rings for it so hopefully we'll have another range report up here soon! </div></div>

If one is going to buy a rifle such as the OBR then one really needs to get an appropriate scope, so good call on the HDMR. I have mine mounted in Badger Ordnance 34mm 1.275" Alloy rings (P/N 306-27). This combo gives me just enough clearance for the scope cover and keeps the scope nice and low.

Those are the exact rings I have that will be going on the rifle. I told him to get the HDMR from the get go but he wanted it now and the Trijicon Accupoint is the best the LGS had. After blowing through about $40 of FGMM he final decided "Ah Hell! I need a better scope!" Couldn't help but giving him the requisite told ya so look.... I'm guessing you have Butler Creek covers on it. Which ones did you go with? I used to have the part numbers written down but I think those got lost on the way back from Iraq.

Range report: Spent some time with the HDMR over the weekend and I have to say I'm hooked. Great scope with ann incredible reticle. The OBR did seem to like the 175s quite a bit more the other day than the 168s I shot over the weekend. Groups with 168s opened up about a quarter of an inch at 100m. The PRS stock and Surefire muzzlebrake get here tomorrow so we'll see how it helps. Actually being able to get prone and the better cheek weld will hopefully tighten things up. Another range report coming next week!...maybe this time with pictures...maybe

If you ever have any questions pm me. I shoot on Bragg a lot and am running a 18inch OBR with HDMR.

Household obligations kept me from joining but the rifle should be out at the 600 meter range out at Range 37 today. Weather is slighlty overcast, little wind, and temps are staying low so should be a good day for shooting. Should have some range pics up here tomorrow~ish. PRS stock and muzzzle brake are on so we'll see how she groups and shoots!