• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some equipment help

cheddar

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Madison, WI.
Ok, I'm new to rifles. I have been looking at getting into reloading for my pistol(.40 S&W). I really want to now for the rifle. I am out of work so money sucks. What is the problem with Lee products? I have seen their scales are iffy. Will these products work until I can upgrade? You can by a whole kit for $105.00 from Cabela's. Let me know what te deal is guys. If there is a thread on this already, let me know. The search function sucks and I went throught the first 10 pages with no luck. Thanks guys!

Re: Need some equipment help

They will work and in almost every case even a low quality reloading equipment as long as safety is practiced will still give better accuracy than factory loads. So I would go for it, and upgrade piece at a time. Start the upgrade process with a good scale and measuring equipment. Then move to a press, dies, tumbler etc. Always follow the book take your time relax, make it fun. It will save you a ton of money if you shoot often

I've had 3 Lee single stage presses and 6 PRO 1000 progressives. The pro 1000a are OK for 38 special. That's about it. The single stage presses all had something wrong with the linkage between the ram and the handle. Sizing a 223 was harder than sizing a 30-06 on my RockChucker.

Have you considered looking at some used equipment? I'm told that E-Gay has some decent stuff sometimes. Check around at your local hunting / shooting supply stores. My local store sometimes carries some real good deals. Usually around 60 to 75% of retail.

Before you buy any hardware, buy a copy of the latest edition of the Lyman's Handloading Manual for centerfire cartridges. It has 3 or 4 times the usable amount of information that other manuals have. Read the text chapters between the caliber specific chapters. Read the chapters on safety twice.

Good luck.

My local choices are Dick's and Gander mtn. They are both horrible. Gander has shotgun peices and one rifle kit for $569.00. Since money is so tight, I want to start as low as I can go without wasting money. How many rounds would it take to justify reloading as opposed to buying factory?

The problem with Lee products is that they're cheaply made; it allows them to be cheaply sold. Figure that you'll be better off spending an additional $50 or so for a better scale. If you're intending to return to work, you might be better off waiting until you can afford something better.

There is an abundance of info available on this forum, but as you have discovered, it's damned hard to locate. Try searching on the Accurate Reloading forum. They have as much info, and it's available.

I'll suggest that you spend your spare time researching and learning about reloading and the equipment. It'll be a rewarding hobby and far more affordable than the direction you're headed. When you're in better financial shape, you'll be able to get the equipment appropriate to your needs without having to experience the errors you will have made on an unguided first attempt.

In my opinion, most Lee equipment is better avoided. You can buy affordable equipment (don't make $ to $ comparisons when purchasing) that will be appropriate to your needs. The kits will get you started, but so much of what they furnish may not be what you find that you want or need. Make individual choices.

Powder equipment, for instance, is the first choice a person should make. While a mechanical measure may work well for pistol applications, unless you are willing to limit yourself to certain powders will not work well for a rifle. You may find yourself as better off from a financial standpoint for having used an $8 set of scoops with a good trickler (Redding, $20-something) and a beam scale. Or, you may start with the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo ($300) and cover all of your bases. What's that clunky press worth when you replace it?

In my opinion, money spent on books now is a better investment than what you're looking at. Reloading manuals (several), <span style="text-decoration: underline">The ABC's of Reloading</span>, maybe even <span style="text-decoration: underline">Handloading for Competition</span> eventually. This last book mentioned will give you a broad perspective, even if you never have an application for all that is taught. If you get the Lee manual, get the version that includes a C-press for a few dollars more. It will give you a first-hand look at Lee quality, and you'll be able to use the press later for de-capping or maybe priming. The Sinclair catalog is a good reference for equipment availability. You'll have a much better idea of how to spend your money wisely and be able to produce far better ammo. A different approach now may suppress your shooting habit, but that's a financial saving too for the time being.

Your opinion may vary.

if you shoot more than 50 rounds a year, and like them to touch at 100 yards, it's justified.

also check midway, natchez, midsouth shooters, sportsman's guide for scales and calipers. i had picked up a digital Fulton Aromory for under $40.00 from one of them (make sure the scale measures grains). the scale, calipers and resizing dies are your probably your most valuable pieces for accuraccy and safety when just starting out.

gander is a nice place to touch and feel, then order it somewhere else. overpriced for just about everything. dick's..., well the name says it all.

also, if you have a birthday, anniversary, or anything coming up and people that like to give you stuff, add the equipment to the list. CHRISTmas is around the corner also.

if money is short, look around your hunting / shooting closet for stuff your not using and sell / swap it for the equipment you will use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
if money is short, look around your hunting / shooting closet for stuff your not using and sell / swap it for the equipment you will use. </div></div>

I did this to fund my new rifle...I'm too young to have alot of cool shit.

I don't mean to be difficult but, If the Lee stuff isn't worth it, how come I can't find any used equipment?

my guess is, and it's only a guess and not being mean, but if someone is on a low budget and doesn't shoot much (sound familiar), the lee stuff stays or the used stuff gets bought up quickly due to the same type of financials.

there's really nothing wrong with them when they're used casually. the better stuff (hornady, rcbs, redding, etc.) comes into play when ammo for competitive shooting, long distance shooting, or high use of the reloading equipment is involved, as a little better quality goes a long way.

you can get to work in a clunker car, but obviously a better quality vehicle will get you there more comfortably, safer, and more consistantly start and have less problems. same thing goes for any equipment. if you can only afford a clunker, you usually can still get to work.

If you hang around for awhile asking questions, you may find that some used equipment will become available to you. It's happened before. Sometimes the used Lee stuff is free. It's up to you to figure out what you need, but questions are allowed.

I appreciate all the input. I will look and be patient. Used quality is better than cheap new. Thanks guys!

I used a Lee powder measure for 3 years with no trouble. I use lots of Lee rifle die sets and all my pistol dies are Lee 4-die sets. I like the Lee collet die sets for rifle cals. I would not get a Lee scale. Lee makes decent single stage presses, and the turret presses are good, too, but get the cast press. I use the 4-hole cast turrest press, and have no complaints. Buying used is a good suggestion, but make sure it is in good condition. I have bought used stuff and wound up either pitching it or keeping it as a backup piece. What calibers are you looking to load?

Isn't there a Cabela's on the northwest side of Chicago? That's not too far from Madison for a day trip...

I have a Lyman T-Mag 6 station turret press that would be more than good enough to get you going. Wouls part with it for $125 + actual shipping.... Also have a Dillon 450 w/some 550 upgrades that I'd let go for $250 with PM & one caliber conversion... PM me if interested....

Bill