• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need some expertise on hunting pants/bibs

Megastink

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Eastern PA, USA
I’m in the market for some new bottoms. Here’s some background: i hunt northeastern PA. Rifle season opens after Thanksgiving. Temps can be from below freezing to mid 50’s all in the same day. I have a short walk to my hunting spot, which is a hill that overlooks a swamp. I generally wear many layers as my walk is literally two minutes from my vehicle. However, as the day progresses, I like to walk around a bit, relocate, glass new areas, etc. my current system makes these walks way too uncomfortable, and I need a better, more layered solution.

I currently have a set of Field and Stream bibs and a jacket that I got on clearance for $100 total years ago that are actually really good. Warm as they are, they’re a PAIN to walk around in. I recently bought a Gyde heated vest liner and that thing is money when I’m sitting still. I just got an AFTCO Reaper fleece mossy oak hoodie as well, which has a built in VENTED face mask/neck gaiter. Zero cold air getting down my jacket. I think my UA liner, then red head thermal, Gyde vest, and aftco hoodie will provide me warmth while sitting, with the ability to easily remove layers for still hunting/stalking.

I could probably still use the bibs for sitting still, but I need to be able to peel them off and have the next layer be flexible enough to cross over rocks/logs while providing adequate warmth should my stalk turn into a waiting game. The material needs to be quiet and not pick up burrs and twigs. Lightweight is also a must.

Since I've been a Eastern US hunter I think I can help a bit. One thing to remember everyone will have a different reaction to cold temps. I may be comfortable, you may be freezing even if we are wearing the same thing. You want a wind proof mid layer. Say the Reaper Windproof 3L for jacket. Pants may be harder to choose. Size/fit are going to need to be big enough yet comfortable.

I like thinner layers overall: mix Under Armor style tops and bottoms; topped with a Merino style wool/woven top and bottom. From there I want a wind blocking type mid-layer. There's plenty of fleece type materials that incorporate a wind blocker for the vest or jacket. This can be used in a pants/vest, or pants/jacket setup. Like lightweight yet sized to fit over the thin layers above. From there the heavier bibs/overcoat can be the "insulation" needed to keep the hard cold out. So when I dress all the thin layers are put on, then pants, then the bibs, then the fleece windbreaker over the upper section of bibs, then the heavier jacket. So when I want to walk I can strip off the jacket but still keep the wind out with the fleece. If the bibs get to be too much I can strip off the bibs leaving the fleece upper on. Now the pants are helping me breathe but not freeze me. Get to the next spot, slip on the bibs, slip on the jacket.

In the end you will figure out what base/mid layers work best for you. For me some days it's just the UA stuff under the camo, some days just merino wool under camo, some days it's both stacked under the wind blocking pants/vest/jacket. Then on COLD days I'll grab the bibs and overcoat.

If you want some brands to look at I'm thinking for my next year to go with Pnuma Outdoors.

Since I've been a Eastern US hunter I think I can help a bit. One thing to remember everyone will have a different reaction to cold temps. I may be comfortable, you may be freezing even if we are wearing the same thing. You want a wind proof mid layer. Say the Reaper Windproof 3L for jacket. Pants may be harder to choose. Size/fit are going to need to be big enough yet comfortable.

I like thinner layers overall: mix Under Armor style tops and bottoms; topped with a Merino style wool/woven top and bottom. From there I want a wind blocking type mid-layer. There's plenty of fleece type materials that incorporate a wind blocker for the vest or jacket. This can be used in a pants/vest, or pants/jacket setup. Like lightweight yet sized to fit over the thin layers above. From there the heavier bibs/overcoat can be the "insulation" needed to keep the hard cold out. So when I dress all the thin layers are put on, then pants, then the bibs, then the fleece windbreaker over the upper section of bibs, then the heavier jacket. So when I want to walk I can strip off the jacket but still keep the wind out with the fleece. If the bibs get to be too much I can strip off the bibs leaving the fleece upper on. Now the pants are helping me breathe but not freeze me. Get to the next spot, slip on the bibs, slip on the jacket.

In the end you will figure out what base/mid layers work best for you. For me some days it's just the UA stuff under the camo, some days just merino wool under camo, some days it's both stacked under the wind blocking pants/vest/jacket. Then on COLD days I'll grab the bibs and overcoat.

If you want some brands to look at I'm thinking for my next year to go with Pnuma Outdoors.

Thank You so much for this info. This is good stuff!

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Thank you! I would have never looked at AFTCO. That 3L Reaper seems to be something I may snag up for hunting or whatever. LOL

Thank you! I would have never looked at AFTCO. That 3L Reaper seems to be something I may snag up for hunting or whatever. LOL

I have two reapers. I’m a competitive bass fisherman. I got a gray one for cold weather fishing. I loved it so much that I bought their Missy oak version and it’s going to be my first inner layer/outer layer during bow season. That neck gaiter is money.

I'm in a similar situation - hunt NE PA and upstate NY. Have Cabela's bibs/jacket. Very warm when sitting, but too heavy to walk and too bulky to stuff into pack when walking.

But - I end up hunting state lands more than I'd like. The setup I have now is blaze/camo, which I like. Anyone who says they can't see me just isn't looking.

Are you guys just using a slip-over orange vest and hat? That's not much visible with a backpack covering half the vest.

Thanks.

I'll wear a blaze orange fleece pull over. IF you can find a pull over hooded sweatshirt that can work as well. Usually oversized to fit over what else I'm wearing. So the full blaze orange sleeves help when wearing a back pack. Most people will be wearing a hat or beanie in orange anyway, but a hoodie can cover that as well for extra cold protection. A vest isn't that far from a full pull over "hoodie" or sweatshirt.

When the temps are higher I'll wear one of those "safety orange" long sleeve shirts in the same way. Think of the shirts most DOT or construction guys will wear usually green these days but in orange. There are quite a few out there by Dickies or Carharrt that are synthetic materials so in warmer weather they can breathe much better.

I see how the fleece or hoodie can work. But I’m really looking for a waterproof outer shell. Preferably something that won’t get caught up in briars and pickers. Having a soggy outer layer on a rainy day isn’t very appealing.

Seems like 10 years ago everyone had a lot of options in blaze and blaze camo? Today the more technical clothing has no orange on it. Am I really that far in the minority in looking for that type of product?

You are looking at ads for Western hunters over us "po'boys" in the East. LOL
You might find a "tech material" (read: not cotton) for the hoodie. Look outside hunting clothes. There's got to be a safety orange jacket out there. The North Face... Carhartt

Yea....something in blaze as a softshell, wind proof, water proof is going to take work.

KUIU is all you'll ever need. (y)
I like the merino base layer bottoms, the axis pants, and then superdown pro pant over the axis when stationary for really cold weather.