• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some gear help. SLing and Rear bag

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
Signed up for the Norcal shooters clinic so I can learn some more about this rifle stuff.

Most of my shooting so far has been done with just a bipod. On the recommended gear list was a sling and rear bag.
I was shopping around on Triads website and there are a ton of options

What should I be looking at?

Re: Need some gear help. SLing and Rear bag

TAB Slings are what I found easiest. The TIS works well if you like the setup.

I get my rear bags from Susan @ linestretch here on the hide... the Fill they use just Rocks !

TAB slings or the old Turner leather is what I like.

Rears bags.... there are so many. I got my Dad with his sewing machine to make mine

It's been my experience that the TAB Gear sling, TIS Sling, and Turner Saddlery slings will all work pretty much the same and be quite effective. This is after having handled the TAB Gear sling, owning four TIS slings, a Turner, and now using the Mountain Shooter Sling. The deciding factor in how well a sling works for you is how often you work with the sling and find out which positions work for you and what adjustments need to be made for different positions. I've been to matches where there were quite a few $80 carrying straps on the firing line. When it came time to sling up, shooters would try to wrap the sling up in a hasty sling instead of creating a proper loop that would've yielded much better results.

Rear bags are also something of a personal preference for many shooters, some guys like smaller rear bags, some like pillows. I've been using a Red Tac Gear rear bag for sometime now and have found it to be a great rear bag for a variety of situations. That being said I've also seen guys using toiletry bags filled with airsoft beads quite effectively.

In my mind it's pretty hard to screw up going with a TAB Gear sling, TIS Slip Cuff Sling, TAB Gear rear bag, or a Red Tac rear bag. Those would be the options I would go with and they'll serve you very well.

Ammowaster, I will be at clinic with several types of slings available. This may help you decide. You really need to see several and decide which fits you best

Tab Sling and Triad rear bag go together like peanut butter and jelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammowaster, I will be at clinic with several types of slings available. This may help you decide. You really need to see several and decide which fits you best </div></div>

Thanks for the offer. Do you know if there will be time to look at them before we shoot??

The day will be a teaching day. I will loan you something to try and either buy or give back at end of the day. After the day is over I can go over fine details for you but during day I working with scopes and line coach not slings

I use a modified TAB sling, and a TAB small rear bag. I have used alot of slings, and I have never found a single one to be just exactly as I want it to be. So I modify everything to suit.

I have always used my own rear bags, but I have now switched to the TAB small rear bag, and I keep it tied to my rifle. It took a bit to get used to the size, but it is very functional.

DK