• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help from Enfield owners!

jaycoux

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Central Texas
My buddy is interested in long range shooting. He purchased a SWFA SS 3-5x42 scope and wanted to see whether he could use his enfield as a starter rifle. Here is a pic:

2zyhp1s.jpg

The question is how to mount the new scope. From the pics it appears to have a rail that the original rings are attached to. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding mount and/or rings?

Thanks in advance!
J

looks like weaver rings and bases if I'm not mistaken.

BTW this is a sporterized M1917.

Take off the old scope, and the old scope rings. once you have them off, you should be able to see the screws holding the bases to the action. Apply a safe solvent to them to remove any Loctite, leave it for five or ten minutes, then remove them using a gunsmith's screwdriver (you can use a regular screwdriver, but their surfaces are more rounded and as a result you may strip the screws, which is a pain in the butt, but can be fixed using a tap set)

once you have removed the bases, then you can put whatever the hell you want on there. Personally, I'd just get scope rings that would work for the new scope and leave the bases as they are. no point in fixing them if they're not broke.

Have you checked to see if the new scope would work with the rings and bases you already have? if not, do so, and see if you can, again, no point in replacing something that will work just fine.

good lookin gun btw. Is she an Eddystone or Winchester? don't fuss if you can't tell, that forward scope base is probably covering the mark.

Thank you sir. Its a friends rifle so I dont know alot about it, or Enfields, hence the post. If those are Weaver bases then any ring that mounts to a picatinny should work I suppose? I will check with him to see if we can find out the mfg.

I'm running on an educated guess on the base manufacturer there. If you need to get new rings, just dismount those rings and take a picture of the bases. when you go to the store, bring the picture and I'm sure the gunsmith will know what they are and be able to help you select thee right rings for them.