• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need some help on choosing light weight stock please

rugerdiggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Southeast Oklahoma
I have a short action Remington at the shop now to have a custom 300wsm made. It will have a bartlein #3 contour fluted barrel. I am in need of a light weight but rigid stock to shoot off of bipods, shooting sticks, backpack, closest tree limb, or? without being to weak and affecting poi. I am planning an elk hunt and wanting something I can pack around and it don't kill me so lightweight is a must. Been looking at the McMillan game scout, Bell and Carlson Alaskan, HS Ultra Light Mountain Ranger, and the Manners MCS SL Super Light Hunter. In hopes someone has some of these and will let me know how they like it or don't like it. Thanks

Funny thing is they all weigh within a couple ozs. The front one is a Remington SPS stainless 7MM-08 I sent to Karl Feldkamp to fix up a bit, all up it weighs 7 lbs 2 ozs and is a nice carry rifle. I was going to send it off to have a new barrel screwed on but the thing shoots so dang good I'm keeping it as is. You know the saying, never shoot the donor:)

Look at the Manners Elite hunter series stocks. I have a EH-1 ordered in Elite Tac GAP camo.
x2 on this,here's my EH-1
douBow65_01_ca (Large).jpg

I just bought a EH1 off a member and simply love it...I dropped an SPS 16.5" into it so it's not exactly the same type of build,but none the less...
A chum of mine has an SPS 20" fitted to a Game Scout,and comparing the two,the Manners stock fixes everything I disliked about the Game Scout...the EH1 has a little higher comb,this may or may not be good for you depending on the scope you use...The forend is a little fuller,not needed for your barrel contour but more comfortable to me,and seems more stable when rested on the forend...And the bottom of the stock ,in front of the toe is much more parallel to the bore,and not as touchy as the Game Scout when using a rear bag...the toe on the Game Scout is so steep to me,that if you have to reset at all,you lose elevation...it's great for rappid,gross elevation changes,but too touchy for me...
In any case I'd recommend the EH1,being you aren't opposed to a vertical grip...
I would give it a "9" except the texturing is useless...a waste of both time and epoxy...
Though YMMV...