• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help quickly with a hunting scope choice

JMcQ

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2019
SC
I am going to head out tomorrow in a attempt to pick up a new scope that wasn’t planned. This is my backup rifle and I’ve killed the scope that had been zeroed and ready to rock.
I have a few choices picked out but wanted to see if I could get my list in order or add any suggestions.

Looking for something in the 2-10/12x mag range but prefer to keep the objective in the 40mm range. $500-900ish budget 1in or 30mm is fine I have rings already for either. For this rifle I’m not that concerned about the reticle or capped vs uncapped turrets. MOA SFP is fine since max range would be 400 yards and that’s would be unusual. 6.5C so plenty flat shooting and 125-200 would be normal shots.

No China don’t care will not buy so no Athlon
Here are a few that peaked my interest on the short list.

Trijicon Huron or Accent 2-12 $500ish
These are Japanese and have a really attractive price. I’ve heard the eye relief is GTG but online it seems to be a question mark due to advertising. That’s a great price only negative on paper is it’s a bit heavy for a light weight rifle.

Leupold 2-10 VX-5 HD $899 I believe at that price the duplex reticle. I am probably the most comfortable with this one if I had to order online sight unseen.

Swarovski z3 3-10x $799 if I can find one in stock. I haven’t looked through a z3 that’s newer but their reputation seems to warrant it in the list.

????? Any others you all want to add or possibly eliminate? I am hoping to find one tomorrow so I can get it mounted and zeroed this weekend. Local purchase should not be a issue with PSA, Cabelas, Sportsman warehouse and a couple good locals around.

I wanted to swap out an old as dirt scope off my Ruger M77 MKII. Found a Ziess Conquest ( I think), got it zeroed in. Doing my part I'm bored shooting the ol' 30-06. I didn't spend a ton of money on it at the time.

Not sure on all your other requirements, but I've been happy with that tier Ziess. I'll add that sometimes it's not about the name but the reticle choice you prefer. They all have their own designs so it can get too busy in the reticle. Some are much better then others, but to each their own. Good luck.

Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42 is superior to all those mentioned and it’s in your budget. I’ve “had” all the ones on your list and now run the LHTs.

I’ll look out for the Razor. It’s 9am so I will be leaving the house soon to go on the hunt

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I really hate to spend 1k but if I fall in love with something my budget is self imposed and I can spend the cash. Since this is a set it forget it point and shoot it may be foolish to go to $$. I was looking at my data from yesterday’s shooting. With 100 yard zero I am 5.5 moa hold at 400 yards. The chance of shooting that far is 1%. At 250yards which is still maybe 20% is 2.4moa hold over with 143 grain ELD X.

I had a Bushnell 3200 elite on it so ( good budget scope when it was working ) so I’m upgrading either way. That scope optically was pretty darn good for a $300 scope( older Japanese model) I don’t know what happened but when I make a 1/4 moa adjustment I’ll get 2.5 moa of windage. I pulled a scope from a different rifle and no issues with mount or rifle verified. Well I’m going to go hunt something down I’ll post up what I get.
Thanks for the replies in short notice. Definitely going to look at the Razor. The SHV is just getting to be to heavy. I am hunting eastern mountains and will have a lot of hills to walk. The Christensen Mesa is already 6.5 lbs. Ya that’s not much but I normally carry a 20B that weighs about 6 even with scope, sling and ammo. I’m spoiled.

Vortex LHT would be a decent choice. NF sv durable with ok glass.

swaro z3 is light and glass is quite good.

With so many "Out Of Stock".. I'd start here and go from there.

I’ve been very happy with my Leupy VX5HD

3A1A6FAA-E815-4DA6-B637-437512D88E96.jpeg

I’m feeling pretty good about this one it’s under 13 ounces. I like the reticle and staying with 1 inch tube I can keep my lightweight tallies without having to buy anything new or get used to having a different cheek rest..
I paid $799 which is same as EuroOptic price which I’m happy with . I did like the Vortex, but the Z3 weight and KISS principal works best for me.

I found the Swarovski 3-10 that was want I really wanted. There was a Razor 2-10 that was avalible. I did like it but felt it was a bit heavy. I have a Forbes 20b / Nula that’s is going to Southern Precision for a Bartlien setup. Once that is done I’ll be putting the scope on it. The Christensen will be a backup and will get something inexpensive like a vx3. 2 is 1 and all.

That said I am thinking about a Razor AMG for a different rifle. I really liked it more than my Bushnell XRS 2
This site cost me so much $$$ I also bought a Rugged Radiant 7.62 yesterday