• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help sighting in my sweet new rifle.

mwave

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2008
Phx, AZ
I just bought a GA precision rifle (the Crusader model). I suck balls at sighting in a rifle. Anybody got any good tricks to making it easy on me? I used to have a friend who could do it, but he's off in Afghanistan right now.

I get the boresight method to start. My problem usually occurs when moving the target to 100 yards. For some reason, after two shots at 25 yards, I just can't get it to translate to the same at 100.

Also, I've never owned a brand new weapon that needed to be broken in. The sheet that came with it recommended that I clean after 1 shot for the first 5 or so (it's not in front of me now, could be more or less) and then after 3 or so until the fouling stops. How necessary is that? I mean, I'll do it tomorrow when I'm breaking it in, no big deal, but I'd rather concentrate on getting it shooting straight.

I guess I'm just nervous with the 5k I just dropped and I want everything to go great. My USO scope isn't here yet, so I'm putting my falcon 4-14 on for now. Should be good, right?

Re: Need some help sighting in my sweet new rifle.

Dont worry about breaking it in.. Shoot at 25 yards and get it on the bull. Now move to 100 yards and then zero the rifle. It is that easy.

Put the rifle on a solid rest so it doesn't move. Pull the bolt out and look down thru the bore. Center the bullseye in the middle of the bore. Look in the scope and move the crosshairs to the bull. Take another peep thru the bore to see if you are still centered. If not, recenter in the bore and confirm w/ the scope. Once both bore and scope are close, insert round, insert bolt, aim, sqeeze.

Check where the bullet hits then adjust scope again.

I would do the 1 shot, one swipe method for 25 rounds then one every 5 until 50.

Once you get the new scope, you'll know how to sight it in faster.

Sluggo has the sight in procedure I use, and it has never failed me! I don't play the barrel break in game anymore either... just good cleaning regimine early on, then as needed when accuracy falls off.............

I take out the bolt and look down the barrel. I have my wife or shooting partner adjust the reticle to align with the bore. Pretty easy to get within 4-6". Easy from there.

ETA- Sorry Sluggo already said it. Much better in fact.

Yes,do all the above. If you can get one to hit paper, then without moving the knobs, position the rifle in a cleaning rest where the crosshairs are in the bull. Trying not to move the rifle carefully adjust the knobs to where the crosshairs move from the bull to the bullet hole. (You'll have to turn the knobs in the opposite directions than normal.)

This is called the One Shot Zero. Saves a lot of ammo.

Sherlok

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sherlok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is called the One Shot Zero. Saves a lot of ammo. Sherlok </div></div>

Amen to that one... that is a ditto here with me. Saves ammo and time for sure.

DK

I boresight then fire a shot at 25. Make a correction to get it POI/POA that puts me on paper at 100. Make corrections from there.

Don't worry about break in. It's a waste of ammo and cleaning time. Just shoot it and it will break itself in.

Honestly don't know if breaking in a barrel is worth it or not BUT it isn't that hard to do and after the first 10 rounds you can be shooting groups which will help you learn what you and the rifle are capable of. It will also help you get the rifle sighted in.
I've never tried the "One shot zero" mostly because the first person that I ever saw try it wound up chasing flyers until he ran out of ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never tried the "One shot zero" mostly because the first person that I ever saw try it wound up chasing flyers until he ran out of ammo. </div></div>

I would bet that it had more to do with the execution than the plan.

I put my scope on my rifle, get a good size box up at 25 yards and shoot. You are almost always on the paper, and then adjust from there. there are probably better ways, but this works for me.