• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help with Ballistics AE

Flint62a1

Private
Minuteman
I have been running into a problem with Ballistic AE, in that after putting in all the data, the numbers just don’t match up.
Example, I set up my Springfield 03A1, loading 168’s and IMR 4895, chronographed the load and uploaded to the program. I get it out on the range to find out the come ups are nowhere near what the program says. To make a long story short, I’ll use the 600 yd data. AE says 14.3 minutes from 100( my zero) to 600. In actuality its more like 22 moa an additional 8 moa. I had the same trouble with a couple different rifles.
Can this be adjusted?
Thanks for your help
Kevin

I don't use that particular app (is iOS only IIRC), but check all your input data, something is fat fingered or a mixed value.

Swapping G1 and G7 models and not changing the numerical value is a common example.

Double check against another calculator like JBM online.

I tried comparing to jbm they came up with the same basic numbers ie. 14.3 moa to 600
Since I’m shooring 168’s I went with the G5 setting for a low based boattail. Also changed the scope height to 2” as the malcolm scope is higher over the bore

Do you have a published G5 number for that bullet or the ability to measure it? What chronograph did you use and what is the rest of your rifle and cartridge data?

I had read somewhere that G5 was for low based boattails. Changing it to G7 only changed the zero by one moa.
The rifle is a Rock Island 03, malcolm 8x scope.
The load is 168 sierra matchking. 47.5 of IMR 4895, Win case, fed 210 primer.
Chrono’d at 2537 fps based on a ten shot string.

Try 0.265 for the G5 value, but that's not going to solve all of it. IMO you have something way off velocity wise as well.
FWIW another 100 fps lower gets things closer to your 22 MOA drop, but... that charge with a 24" barrel should be closer to 2650 fps, so is now a 200 fps error.

Again, what were you using for a chronograph?

Try 0.265 for the G5 value, but that's not going to solve all of it. IMO you have something way off velocity wise as well.
FWIW another 100 fps lower gets things closer to your 22 MOA drop, but... that charge with a 24" barrel should be closer to 2650 fps, so is now a 200 fps error.

Again, what were you using for a chronograph?
I have a Chrony that Ive used for a while. Its pretty reliable with other rifles, so I had no reason to doubt it.

Here’s an interesting development!
I went back to AE and in the projectile section, I clicked on Litz at the top and punched in all my information
I hit calculate trajectory and the numbers all matched!! WTF??
The Litz number will be a lower BC than what Sierra claimed.