• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help with bottom metal

guncrazy72

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2008
North GA
I am begging to build up my Remington 700 SPS and I have already bought the hardest part, the glass. I am now looking into buying a badger bottom metal with a 5 and 10 round mag for now. Can I install this myself or will I need to take this to a gun smith to have it installed? My rifle has the Houge stock that came with it.

Thanks

Re: Need some help with bottom metal

Get a new stock first. That plastic pos flexes and doesn't free float. In order to make a dbm fit you will have to hack the plastic stock up. The recess that the bottom metal fits in and the mag well in the stock will need to be opened up. By the time your done what's left of the plastic will be even flimsier then you started

take a looke at manners stocks. They are very good people. They have a mini chassis set up that is pinned in to the stock and has a dbm built in.

If your on a budget you can get a choate tactical stock for around 200 and have that inletted

just my 2 cents

You will have to have your stock inletted for the new BM.

Don't waste your time and money installing a DBM on that stock. Buy a new one and have it sent to CDI where it will be inletted for their DBM. When you get it you just need to follow their instruction for final fitting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MudBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't waste your time and money installing a DBM on that stock. Buy a new one and have it sent to CDI where it will be inletted for their DBM. When you get it you just need to follow their instruction for final fitting. </div></div>

+1

I ordered a HTG & CDI at the same time. My gunsmith did the inletting for the DBM it turned out great, but if I was to do it again I would send the stock to Jeff. I believe he charges 60 shipped.