• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help with my Ruger

cj1026

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Repulik of Commieforniastan
Hey guys I need some help. I have a Ruger M77 mark 2 .30-06. The all weather ultra light model with stainless steel 20" barrel. 6 grove 1-10 RH twist. I'm shooting some Hornady 165gr InterBond.
Here is were I need some help. No matter how I shoot the damn thing I can't get a decent group. I get one in the X then maybe 1 or 2 high to the left, than low to the right, than maybe 2" high but centered. Than 1 or 2 in the X again. I can't get anything together.
So does stainless heat differant? Do I need to wait a while after shooting a few rounds? Is the ammo crap? Any help would be great guys.

Re: Need some help with my Ruger

Lightweight rifles are definately harder to shoot. Heat may be an issue with a short light barrel. Try a few different brands of ammo. Is there a chance you are flinching? How are your optics?

I don't think I am flinching. I don't have any problems with my 300wm. The scope on the rifle is a leupold vx3 b&c

Rule yourself out first and then check your action screws and your scope mount screws, make sure they are secure. Try different ammunition types, weights, and let your barrel cool on the UL. I have a Weatherby that sends a flier every 3rd round when the barrel heats up. Just some thoughts.

Is the barrel contacting the stock? If the barrel is it could be causeing the issue. Also try some good ammo and have the best shooter you can find give it a try. I assume your shooting og a benchrest or prone with bags? Those ruger got a pretty thin barrel, so I would say shoot 5, let it cool, then do it again.