• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some ideas for future shoot at local range.

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
We are in the planning stages of getting a shoot together for a local competition for precision rifles bolt class, open site rifle class and semi-auto class. We are limited to a 300 yard range but it's set up very nice. We have approximately twenty benches /shooting areas. Shooters are all covered by a nice pavilion. I would like some imput on a good competition guide to follow... Like size of targets at specific ranges, speed drills, loading / shooting drills, sand bags only? or tripods? prone drills..etc, etc,etc.. We held a low key shoot years ago and we had to shoot at small suckers at 100 yards and 200 hundred yards but since then we have gotten alot better and have upgraded our sticks since then... Some of us have Terry Cross rifles, Ryan Kelsey (Christenson)built rifles and some other custom rigs.......Looking for a leg up on a good shoot...Would love it if you could assist...Thanks..SmokeRolls

Re: Need some ideas for future shoot at local range.

300 is not too bad. You can have a great match with that.

My favorite is to tell the shooters to leave all their gear in the vehicle until they are assigned a position on the firing line. Assign them, show them their targets, then give them 2 minutes to get a CBS off. This one's fun for spectators to watch.

One we did a while ago was red & white helium balloons. Tie them together and let them twist in the wind. Shooter has to hit the red one and leave the white untouched.

I've also heard that tootsie pops literally explode in a fountain of color.... Haven't tried that one yet.

A golf ball on a tee at 200 is nice. See who sends it farthest.

Give each shooter 5 paintballs at 100Y and 10 rounds. See who cleans them up the fastest and award points that way.

Swinging business card on a string at 200, or a 3x5 at 300 - this one is hard. Extra points for a sideways mark on it that a dime can't hide. (We had a 65 year old varmint hunter cut it in half on his first shot with a .223)

Barricade drills - you can get crazy real fast with these. Shooting support side, over the top, underneath (rollover prone), all kinds of possibilities.

Hostage - have them run to the firing line, set up and engage.

Range estimation drills - put scaled down targets at 300Y and assign a realistic value to them. e.g. take a 24" tall cardboard man, and claim he's 65 inches. They have to MIL it and come up with the correct (scale) answer.

Once you start doing these, your mind will get in tune with it more, and you'll come up with better and better ideas.

The shooters will bitch and moan, but they'll fight for a place in line at the next one!

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

--Fargo007

At our matches we did most of the above plus, we have used eggs they do a great blow up. Paint cans work great but are a real bear to clean up. we dont use them anymore. on most of your Silhouette targets there is a small one in the upper corner, we use that one and make it to scale. just copy and then do as you like.
put up some pictures when you get it done.

Match ideas

smack the smiley is a great start. Check with jb100br

Shooting from window ledge

Get scissors lift or scaffold and shoot down

100 yards 15 ¾ inch dots 20 second time limit
same with hostage style target

ring steel @ UKD multiple distances

begin walking with R/O on the buzzer /timer engage 3 targets in prone 10 sec time limit. that require position change, distance change, UKD (idea here is position change and shooting under time limit, Range estimation, quick position change, transition from standing to prone)

Tannerite or other reactive target @ 200+ (clays)

Low crawl to firing position engage target high crawl back. For time

Opposite hand shot

Prone unsupported

KIM game place items on seprate range observe for 60 seconds ,shoot next cof

Have line set up on target 3 shots 5 sec limit. On fire command throw a bunch of fire crackers in front of shooters. (stress fire)

Recall KIM

Have shooter set up on known distance. Instructions are to shoot only on command 2 second time limit after command is given. (wait 10-15 minutes before giving command to fire)

Range walk (fast walk) 200 +- Yards. Prone- shoot, with high heart rate

Thanks for the ideas...Keep it coming if you have more to add. The best ideas for our shooters and our particular range will be incorporated into the shoot, not saying that any are bad ideas. The ballon idea is a good one but our range and backdrop wont allow an elevated shot to take out a climbing target. Good idea though. I'm planning on using some tannerite for some added excitement. I wan't to make the guys bust up laughing with something off the wall......A memorable moment will add to the fun....Any good ideas are welcomed...Thanks..SmokeRolls

The baloons are tied to a target, if they are climbing you have a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The baloons are tied to a target, if they are climbing you have a problem. </div></div>

LOL - I assumed that was self-explanatory.

We put them on a 2 foot string which presents them smartly against our berm-impact area, and gives great motion too.

Guys shooting high powered rifles at balloons floating up into the sky....

I'm L'ing my FAO thinking that when I submit my CoF on April 1st for the Apr 24 match this year, I'm going to propose this very thing just to see the look on their faces....

LMAO!!!

--Fargo007

Missed that one..... Must have skimmed past that part...Won't be the first one I've missed, won't be the last. If a person had a large enough area that rifles could be used without worry of stray bullet fliers the Baloons floating away would be kinda cool if placed around 200-300 yards....But thats in a perfect world......SmokeRolls

Hey Smoke, make sure you post the shoot here with a little notice if possible. I'm in Ohio, so it might be a reasonable trip. Any chance there's a web site or map?

I'm not running the shoot, just helping with ideas and building targets...I'll run it by the president of the range and see if he wants to put it out to the public...If he says it's okay, I will post an invite...SmokeRolls